• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Is buying a used suppressor "A Thing",, (through an FFL.) ??
    I ask, because I am looking for a specific .22 suppressor: non modular, non alum, 3.5" - 4" in sub $350 range.
    It would be used with a .22 rifle and very occasionally M&P .22 compact handgun

I like the Surefire Ryder 22-MINI,,,,,, appears to be discontinued.
    2nd choice is Tactical solutions AERIS (a little short at 3.0").

I am not looking for "Silent",, just quieter

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    How about this:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    How about a Halcyon? 3.41" in "compact" mode. Appears to be in stock as well.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:​

• Weight: 6.4 oz full, 4.5 oz compact
    • Length: 5.8” full, 3.41” compact
    • Diameter: 1.0”
    • Materials: 17-4PH T6, Titanium
    • Finish: Black PVD
    • Attachment: Direct Thread

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    How about a Halcyon? 3.41" in "compact" mode. Appears to be in stock as well.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:​

• Weight: 6.4 oz full, 4.5 oz compact
    • Length: 5.8” full, 3.41” compact
    • Diameter: 1.0”
    • Materials: 17-4PH T6, Titanium
    • Finish: Black PVD
    • Attachment: Direct Thread
    The reason I had stated I did not want a modular, was I did not want to pay for the extra bulk and weight, when I don't need it in the longer configuration.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    How about the Rugged Mustang. Very lightweight, titanium and aluminium, under $400. Very quiet too. Actually Hollywood quiet on my pistols with CCI std. velocity.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Is buying a used suppressor "A Thing",, (through an FFL.) ??
    Assuming that you are a Maryland resident, you can buy a use suppressor directly from another Maryland resident without going through an FFL/SOT. It is a just the regular Form 4 process and one tax stamp fee.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    How about the Rugged Mustang. Very lightweight, titanium and aluminium, under $400. Very quiet too. Actually Hollywood quiet on my pistols with CCI std. velocity.
    I think that is my 2nd choice. I really don't need a convertible one,, If I got the mustang I am paying for the additional module that will never be used.
    Are you running it in short or long config on the pistol?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Demo and used suppressors can be found at times. Demos can be nice in that they are typ still dealers property and can ship on a form3 to your state. No extra tax stamp.

I think Bowers still makes the 'bitty'. There is at least one other co that makes something similar but its name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Found a roundup of 22LR 'K' suppressors

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I think that is my 2nd choice. I really don't need a convertible one,, If I got the mustang I am paying for the additional module that will never be used.
    Are you running it in short or long config on the pistol?
    I just leave it in the long configuration for pistol and rifle. It's very lightweight so weight is not an issue.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Demo and used suppressors can be found at times. Demos can be nice in that they are typ still dealers property and can ship on a form3 to your state. No extra tax stamp.

I think Bowers still makes the 'bitty'. There is at least one other co that makes something similar but its name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Found a roundup of 22LR 'K' suppressors
    (disclaimer: I have zero hands on with suppressors)
    After a lot of reading and watching video reviews,, it looks like 3.5" - 4.0" is what I am after.
    -This suppressor will live 95% of it's time on a 16" .22 rifle barrel, and occasionally on a M&P .22 handgun
    -75% of the time shooting sub sonic in the 970 - 1020 FPS range,, or even SV if they remain subsonic through a suppressor.
    - I am not looking for "Hollywood quiet" , just a medium quiet, don't want the neighbors 200 yards away to know quiet.
    - From what I have "seen" a 3" will get me close to my goal on the rifle,, but little effect on handgun.
    3.5" will reach my goal on rifle, but barley make a diff on handgun,, so I figured 1 more baffle and close to 4" is the perfect size --- 3.9" Surefire Ryder 22-MINI

I just can not fine something else in the 3.5-4.0" range, NON modular.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Length is not directly related to sound between brands. There are 3" suppressors that are quieter than 4" ones. How it works internally is more important. Yes, within the same brand/model a longer suppressor will be quieter if everything else is equal.

Number of baffles isn't directly related to length either. pig-nose baffles take up more space than a K baffle which take up a lot more space than a cone style (which can actually 'nest' slightly) Go by ratings/tests and not by the number of baffles or length.

Not sure why you're so dead set against modular. Many don't cost anymore than the one you are looking for (~$400). If a modular meets all the requirements and its the same price, just use the first half and leave the front part in a safe. May be a good reason the one you are looking for was discontinued. It could be outperformed by other models. Surefire is outperformed by many.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Tends to be when you get your first can, some of what you expected isn't how it goes, so it's a good idea to get something versatile. IMO you would be better served by something like a Rugged Oculus. It works exactly as you want in short config, and sounds really good on longer barrels. It's competitive with a lot of older full size cans on 16" barrels , but only about 3". It's not hard for a can to sound good on a rifle, but performance varies greatly on handguns and short barrels.

Where my Oculus in short is really good on a rifle, it is fairly loud on a handgun, although probably still hearing safe. Full size though does sound good on Handguns, and excellent on rifles. It works well in short config on my 16" stuff, and my 8" charger, anything shorter is a bit too loud. Perhaps the most fun is on short barreled SBRs, my 4.5" AR22 is about as fun as shooting suppressed gets.

You will want a full size can of you use it on handguns, or want to shoot on your property as a bitty or some older cans like the surefire are kinda loud, especially on handguns. The Oculus and Mustang being modular allows the option for both a short K can and a full size. I would suggest steel baffles in the Oculus over the aluminum Mustang as they are really forgiving and easier to clean.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    (disclaimer: I have zero hands on with suppressors)
    After a lot of reading and watching video reviews,, it looks like 3.5" - 4.0" is what I am after.
    -This suppressor will live 95% of it's time on a 16" .22 rifle barrel, and occasionally on a M&P .22 handgun
    -75% of the time shooting sub sonic in the 970 - 1020 FPS range,, or even SV if they remain subsonic through a suppressor.
    - I am not looking for "Hollywood quiet" , just a medium quiet, don't want the neighbors 200 yards away to know quiet.
    - From what I have "seen" a 3" will get me close to my goal on the rifle,, but little effect on handgun.
    3.5" will reach my goal on rifle, but barley make a diff on handgun,, so I figured 1 more baffle and close to 4" is the perfect size --- 3.9" Surefire Ryder 22-MINI

I just can not fine something else in the 3.5-4.0" range, NON modular.
    Since you’ve stated you haven’t had any hands on that should be your focus before buying. 22 cans are cheap enough but adding the stamp still makes it a buy worth more research. Put out some feelers amongst people you shoot with to try out some cans on your equipment. I only have one dedicated rimfire can (Deadair mask) but it’d be cool to try a few. As already stated they are light and not a big deal on rifles or pistols.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Bowers Bitty? Maybe? But, I would just get the Oculus and run it on short configuration.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for all the suggestions,,
    I'll look again at the Modular,, I seem to have a mental block.
    The 3 - 3.5 cans are probably to short and not enough DB reduction,, and I am shifting my search to ~4" - 4.5".

But yeah, If any one has a 3.5 - 4.5" 22 can that I could get some hands one with?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Thanks for all the suggestions,,
    I'll look again at the Modular,, I seem to have a mental block.
    The 3 - 3.5 cans are probably to short and not enough DB reduction,, and I am shifting my search to ~4" - 4.5".

But yeah, If any one has a 3.5 - 4.5" 22 can that I could get some hands one with?
    Not to be a smart ass, but why are you hung up on length? Are you planning on carrying it?
    You have great suggestions above. Don't cheap out on a can, you will be sorry later. $400+ stamp will get you a number of great cans. Suppressors are almost a lifetime buy. They are not easy to sell on the used market because of the stamp.

thanatron

MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2012
    I just got a sparrow the other day..
    1000002817.jpg
    super light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member