• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Nice choice. i have a wyndham and it works great! Before you start the great parts buy, you might want to get used to your weapon with a few hundred or more rounds. For example, I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and havent switched oout anything on it...still learning it! A vortex red dot went on, but that's it. I'm just not a fan of swapping parts out without fully learning it first.. enjoy!

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Go easy on me…….I grabbed a windham weaponry R16A4T. This is my first experience with a long gun aside from an 870 express.

I can already tell this is gonna be fun and expensive. New quad rail hand guard is coming, as is a scope, light and sling. I’m thinking I’m gonna need a trigger swap too but I’m gonna send a few rounds down range before committing to that.

Excellent choice. That is a solid rifle as is. Just remember, the only thing that rifle NEEDS is magazines and ammunition. Everything else is a want. Don't make the mistake so many(including myself) made in the beginning by burdening down your rifle with heavy nonsense. Think through your accessory purchases, buy smart, and buy quality. That's just my 2 cents. Have fun!

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    AR. The adult Lego toy. I've taken ALL the crap that I hung on it years ago...OFF. My objective has been to lighten it for fast handling. I'm down to ~6.75 lbs.

OP, nice purchase. Have fun. :thumbsup:
    Good luck finding ammo. :innocent0

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Thanks all! I appreciate the encouragement and it’s good to know I didn’t make a bad buy.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Go easy on me…….I grabbed a windham weaponry R16A4T. This is my first experience with a long gun aside from an 870 express.

I can already tell this is gonna be fun and expensive. New quad rail hand guard is coming, as is a scope, light and sling. I’m thinking I’m gonna need a trigger swap too but I’m gonna send a few rounds down range before committing to that.
    Well done!

I think that there is a lot of unnecessary money spent on AR's, specifically the "high end" ARs. I took an AR out to the range this last weekend that in most respects is a budget rifle - it was a Del ton rifle HBAR midlength rifle kit that I got for dirt cheap because it was a blem. I ended up putting it on an 80 lower I milled. Granted, I do have a couple of decent things on it:

-- CMC 3.5 lb single stage trigger
    -- Primary Arms 3x Prism Optic with ACSS reticle

Otherwise, that rifle does the business - granted, I haven't shot it much, but I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind, and frankly, it's more accurate than I am.

Welcome to the club!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Well done!

I think that there is a lot of unnecessary money spent on AR's, specifically the "high end" ARs. I took an AR out to the range this last weekend that in most respects is a budget rifle - it was a Del ton rifle HBAR midlength rifle kit that I got for dirt cheap because it was a blem. I ended up putting it on an 80 lower I milled. Granted, I do have a couple of decent things on it:

-- CMC 3.5 lb single stage trigger
    -- Primary Arms 3x Prism Optic with ACSS reticle

Otherwise, that rifle does the business - granted, I haven't shot it much, but I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind, and frankly, it's more accurate than I am.

Welcome to the club!

I mostly agree. You hit pretty steep diminishing returns beyond $850 to $1000 in bare parts. Beyond that you are either paying for miniscule increases in ergonomics or performance, or just wasting money on aesthetics.

That said, the difference between an AR built from $500-$600 in parts and one built from $800 in parts, I believe is worth it.

As far as complete rifles go, a lot of what you are paying for is rock solid QC and professional assembly. Some of these bargain brands do not have the most competent people on the assembly line.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That said, the difference between an AR built from $500-$600 in parts and one built from $800 in parts, I believe is worth it.
    to be fair, and to agree with your point, I did some work to mine. The original "mil-spec" trigger, if that's even what it was, was not good. Heavy, gritty, creepy - the CMC drop-in was a marked improvement.

I also took the horns off of the bolt carrier. Initially when I got it, I couldn't pull the charging handle if it had an empty mag in it - the upward pressure from the magazine would cause it to hang and it wouldn't charge. I didn't have that problem with a PSA nickel-boron BCG, and in comparing the two, I noticed the smoothed off edges on the PSA BCG (which had no issues whatsoever) so I worked mine over carefully with some fine emery cloth, and that solved the issue.

In any case, it shoots - I like it a lot. It doesn't look fancy and didn't cost a lot, but it functions and it's accurate - can't really ask for more than that.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I grabbed a box of herters 5.56 (200 count) and Winchester 5.56 (150 ct) from bass pro. It’s enough to get me on the road at least

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I grabbed a box of herters 5.56 (200 count) and Winchester 5.56 (150 ct) from bass pro. It’s enough to get me on the road at least
    I've only got a handful of 20 ct boxes of Winchester WB green tips. Not exactly my choice, but it's what was available at the time. I've got a solid supply of reloadable brass though - so that's the next move. I have primers, I just need bullets and powder, both of which seem to be easy enough to find.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I've only got a handful of 20 ct boxes of Winchester WB green tips. Not exactly my choice, but it's what was available at the time. I've got a solid supply of reloadable brass though - so that's the next move. I have primers, I just need bullets and powder, both of which seem to be easy enough to find.

Reloading scares me too much, I want the bullet to go boom, not me lol

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Congratulations! Welcome to the club.

Nice rifle , now to find some ammo to go with it and some 30 round standard capacity mags.

AR. The adult Lego toy. I've taken ALL the crap that I hung on it years ago...OFF. My objective has been to lighten it for fast handling. I'm down to ~6.75 lbs.

OP, nice purchase. Have fun. :thumbsup:
    Good luck finding ammo. :innocent0

Should he also get the thing that goes up?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Reloading scares me too much, I want the bullet to go boom, not me lol
    Reloading is a very basic process - once you learn to do it you find that there's no real mystery to it, and making safe, reliable ammo is pretty easy to do. Virtually anyone competing in any kind of pistol or 3-gun event is going to wind up reloading - it costs too danged much to buy the amount of ammo it takes to do it to any degree.

When I first got into reloading back in 2008 (I initially learned from my Dad who had been doing it since the 50s) I was loading 44 Mag for roughly $6/box. You can't even get close to buying any 44 mag ammo for that little.

Also, once you have components, you aren't beholden to the whims of public supply in order to keep shooting. Even during this shortage, I got low on certain components, but I never ran out.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    Unfortunately, with the cost of ammo the way it is, enjoying your new toy is an expensive proposition. Just throwing wads of money down range.

TravisVerve

May 3, 2021

I just recently completed my first two AR's. One JMT 80%, one Polymer 80%
    a PSA Freedom Rifle Upper Kit, and a Del Ton HBAR upper kit

(btw I am amazed that they work perfectly so far I was expecting malfunctions and only got one at first, too shallow trigger pocket)

I crave to buy stuff for them!!! budget only allows a handle/rear sight for one and a red-dot and BUIS for the other... I want a scope so bad!! and sling, and case... Im just trying to get enough bullets to practice with! lol

Last edited:

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    ^ I hear ya man! Lol

I’m trying to decide between a scope or a red dot, or a tactical combo that has a scope and red dot

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom