• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Neat old Garand you've got there, Bart! Some nice WWII parts, lock bar sights, milled trigger guard, "low hump" gas cylinder lock. Nice rebuild stock.

So what's the serial number range? Where are the rest of the photos?

Are you done thoroughly rubbing all the metal parts with a nice oily cloth yet?

Sept 42 is Charlene's birthdate, barrel 1945. That arsenal facility was shut down in 54 I think. I wished she could talk. I bought her at auction a few years ago I think for about $750.00 plus or minus a few, I forget.

here I am when I got caught buzzing off with her.............

fullmetaljacketdonofrio.jpg

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Maybe or Charlene was in theater or training. Our Garands weren't shot often but THOUSANDS of rounds could have been shot through them in a single day. I think I read somewhere 5K was about average life but I could be wrong.
    Most of what i have seen is similar anywhere from 5-10k. A lot of that can be vary due to how fast they are fired. Throat erosion is much worse if you are pushing the barrel harder.

I love to think both of ours saw action. I was just teasing about the cleaning. Im sure there were a number ruined by over cleaning over the years.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Most of what i have seen is similar anywhere from 5-10k. A lot of that can be vary due to how fast they are fired. Throat erosion is much worse if you are pushing the barrel harder.

I love to think both of ours saw action. I was just teasing about the cleaning. Im sure there were a number ruined by over cleaning over the years.

These were HOT to the touch, as soon as one shot his enbloc's off another was in back to take his place to fire his. Been too long to remember but maybe 10 or 15 rifles were broke out for a crew of OVER 5,000 and everyone had to qualify. That was a LOT of lead dumped into the sea.

Hindsight being 20/20 I wished I kept a few clips and cans but they went over the side along with everything else. :sad20:

thegoose

gun loving fanatic
    Feb 16, 2013
    parkville, md
    I have the original cmp paperwork from 2000.

Attachments

• 20140816_132902.jpg
      20140816_132902.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 136
    • 20140816_132846.jpg
      20140816_132846.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 133
    • 20140816_132808.jpg
      20140816_132808.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 129
    • 20140816_132740.jpg
      20140816_132740.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 131

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Collector grades back then were not like collector grades now, I think that is were the confusion is, more like service grades now.

That may be the case, I did not start buying from CMP until around 2003 and at that time a Collector Grade was close to an unissued 1950's all matching Garand.
    The rifle pictured is far from original and would compare to a current Service Grade, the 1965 barrels are good barrels and the rifle should be a good shooter. The stock looks like a Overton replacement stock, hard to see in the pic but is there a painted triangle at the bottom of the pistol grip, if so the rifle may be a like new 60's rebuild and is somewhat collectable. Hard to tell from the pics.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    With a mid-60's replacement bbl it would have never been sold by the CMP as a Collector Grade. Then or now.

It may be one of the briefly offered "select grades" that were service grades in the best condition by the standards of the time.

Best way to tell is the price on the 2000 paperwork.

Today, it is a service grade equivalent. They cost $695 + S&H from the CMP to qualified purchasers. That is the "floor."

Any "open market" premium is between you and the buyer.

Some people like the earlier "6-digit" S/N rifles and think that makes them special and worth more. Others think it makes the "special" in the other sense and see it as cause for a discount.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Collector grades back then were not like collector grades now, I think that is were the confusion is, more like service grades now.

this.

A 42 rifle with a 65 barrel is not correct or collector by any means.

That said, that rifle is an excellent example of a fresh 1960's rebuild and supposedly those late 60's SA barrels are tackdrivers.

Today's grades (2010-2014) are:

Rack grade- beat down, really close to needing a new barrel if not shot out.mixed parts manufacturers and series. Not sold in years

Field grade- beat down but not badly, they tend to have a lot of wear, poor finish but original parts (and stocks). mixed parts manufacturers and series

Service grade- good condition metal, probably mixed parts manufacturers and series. Often comes with new wood (not usgi, usually birch)

Service grade special- awesome condition metal, walnut reproduction stock, all small parts match by manufacturer and year. Discontinued.

CMP Special- parts gun, new aftermaket barrel and stock, completely refinished by CMP. Great shooter rifles.

Correct Grade - great usgi stocks and metal finish, all small parts match by manufacturer and year. Some wear bit not extensive. Auction only at this point

Collector Grade- great usgi stocks and metal finish, all small parts match by manufacturer and year. Little or no evidence of wear. Auction only at this point.

The old collector grades were what would be considered really good condition service grades.

As to the fake papers issue...here is a sample of the fake paperwork circulating around Md...

fake papers

Discussion

Fakes

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Looks like a great gun (as if there is a bad Garand?!), just gotta be sure of what you're calling it, especially if you ever plan on selling it. People who are investing in a true collector grade rifle might get a little mad if its not correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom