• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yep. Depends on the quality of the fiber optic replacement sight. With the cheap ones, the fiber optic insert spends much of its time on the ground instead of where it should be. Also, some folks don't like how the fiber optic bead covers too much of the target. It's a personal preference.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    most of the uspsa and idpa shooters i have seen run front fiber optics. obviously they're not as durable as all steel, but at least for me, getting on target is a lot quicker.

warren/sevigny competition series are pretty popular, not sure if they make for your gun or not.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Sight picture is great for bullseye out to about 25 yds. I don't know about taktikewl use though.

Durability isn't up to iron sights level (almost indestructable) but after having had them for several years I'd say it's on a par with red dots/optics, assuming a quality brand.
    DSCF9009.jpg

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    I have the HiViz fiber optic front sight for my GP100. I like it so far. Not sure how well the fiber optic tube will hold up if my GP gets banged around but they are working well for me. The sight itself is steel though so it should hold up and can still be used even if the fiber optic tube breaks. Sight came with multiple tubes. Worth the $30 and install was cake.

Ian

Dontre member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Damascus-ish
    Funny. I just came up from the basement after putting the Williams on a Mark iii. Range report tomorrow, hopefully.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I prefer the fiber optic sights on my GP-100 by far. I've got the standard Rugar black sights, the colored Ruger black sites, and the Hi-viz Fiber optic sight is simply the best for me. I like the smaller center dot, the brightness, the works.

Now fragility is something that I can totally see. But a GP-100 is not really a gun you necessarily expose to tons of hardship either. Mine sits in a case, travels to the range, and gets shot. Amazingly enough no breakage. If this was a duty or carry gun, maybe it would be a concern.

But for just having fun shooting a revolver (and honestly a full sized revolver is a terrible carry choice), fiber optic is fine. If you are hunting with it YMMV. Hunting I don't see a ton of danger from a busted sight, you can replace them very quickly and easily from the extras in the little carry tube that Hi Viz supplies, and worse comes to worse you can still shoot the thing with degraded sights.

Gundahar

Ian

Dontre member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Damascus-ish
    Couple of hundred casual rounds this afternoon, and I'm liking the Williams sights. Pretty easy to focus on that bright dot in the front. Seems to correct for some lateral issues I was having, as well. Kind of like cheating, actually.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    On a GP-100 you just use a small punch and depress the spring loaded catch at the very front. Pop the sight up and out... reverse for install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom