• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Name me 1..just 1...I'm saying 1, any 1 "legitimate" and "legal" local gun shop in Md. that some can walk in off the street and buy any day or everyday, those exact items for $579 and includes the transfer fee.....Aint gonna happen.
    I'm done defending myself to judgmental uneducated posts.
    The prices tell the real story.
    When you walk into a gun shop and buy a gun they don't charge you a "transfer fee". If you are saying that, because you have to special order the gun pay a transfer fee to get it shipped to you and then charge the fee to the buyer to reimburse yourself that is understood, but if we go into Bass Pro or Barts(rip) and buy a gun we don't pay a transfer fee.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    When you walk into a gun shop and buy a gun they don't charge you a "transfer fee". If you are saying that because you have to special order the gun, pay a transfer fee to get it shipped to you and then charge the fee to the buyer to reimburse yourself that is understood, but if we go into Bass Pro or Barts(rip) and buy a gun we don't pay a transfer fee.

Yeah, i was starting to get the impression that there was a discrepancy over semantics. The 22lr mag thing has blown my mind tho...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I know what I said and I know what I meant...
    25 round magazines in 22 cal. are legal in Maryland.
    Do you have the license to argue this fact?

NO THEY ARE NOT. Rimfire mags are not exempt. No magazines over 10 rounds may be sold, offered for sale, or transferred in MD unless you are an FFL or LEO. The law does not make any distinction between centerfire or rimfire magazines.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I can tell you with 100% certainly those mags are totally legal in Md.

Nobody "questioned me about anything" merely threw me under the bus, based on a newbies post, and not knowing any of the facts..

Thank you for the first post to give me even the slightest bit of understanding, I,m not trying to be "snarky" but when I see my name, my business, and my livelihood being trashed unjustly I am left no choice but to defend myself.

Can you show me in the Maryland law where there is an exemption for those magazines? It's not in the part of the law that I know of regarding the magazine capacity limitations.

After our interactions this morning via email, I think you need to take a long deep breath and understand that you are about to burn bridges with 22k Maryland gun owners….you know, potential customers?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 10.41.06 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 10.41.06 PM.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 131

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Can you show me in the Maryland law where there is an exemption for those magazines? It's not in the part of the law that I know of regarding the magazine capacity limitations.

After our interactions this morning via email, I think you need to take a long deep breath and understand that you are about to burn bridges with 22k Maryland gun owners….you know, potential customers?

No, he will only loose 11k potential customers ... remember, half the people you meet today will be below average ... the other half ...

Post #81 in this thread proven false, twice.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Wow, you go away for a couple hours and all this happens. I really tried to give him an out.:shrug:

Last edited:

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    lol. you'd bet better off buying the gun off budsgunshop and paying his transfer fee than buying it from him.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Well that went south quickly.
    Lol, so he's not going to be an IP soon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Now I'm done, I'm tired of beating this dead horse. Thanks for the crazy welcoming, to all.

Good. Enjoy your sure to be short life as an FFL in MD.
    First trying to charge a transfer fee for something bought in your shop. Why you are buying from Buds is beyond me. Don't you have a distributor? Now if the OP was buying from Buds and having you transfer the gun a transfer fee is legitimate.
    Secondly-openly advocating to sell illegal magazines in MD is absolute insanity. I hope someone reports this but if not it will catch up with you soon enough.
    Sounds like you need to go back to school on how to successfully and legally run a business. And then you get snarky about it. You will never get a buyer from this forum.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    first time poster hoping this is atleast almost the right place to post this.

im pricing out a gun from http://snwarms.com/ i live less than 2 miles from their shop. now the gun is a mp 15-22 model 811034(black moe version). he wants 510+tax+his transfer fee of 45$. i could live with the 510+tax but i thought transfer fees were for them handling out of state transfers and such so as to make it worth their time. i asked why the transfer fee and he said:
    If you live in Md. the only way you can legally buy a gun is to have an FFL “transfer” the gun into your name. Doesn’t matter where you buy it, if you live in Md. a licensed Md. dealer has to transfer it to you. If you buy it from me you would have to pay Md. sales tax, and a Md. transfer fee.
    is this normal? and if not where else should i look to buy this gun.

first firearm purchase so feed back would be appreciated.

RUN as fast as you can to a legitimate gun dealer who actually knows what they are talking about. Plus you receiving/purchasing an illegal magazine is also a violation of MD law, unless you buy it out of state, and take possession out of state. For this guy to get as much negative press as your post generated ought to tell you something. And Welcome to MDS. Glad you came here for advice before you got ripped off and potentially committed a crime to boot.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Rico, I think the misunderstanding here is that S&W Arms does not have a shop. He has no inventory. He is an FFL that will order a firearm for you, but that means he passes the transfer fee on to you in the price of the firearm. I understand this, but not sure why anyone would need that service when we can order our own firearm or go into a shop and buy one without a transfer fee. I guess you could order a gun and have it transferred through him and pay him the fee or you could have him order you a gun and pay him the price of the gun + the fee. I would just do the ordering myself. After reading his posts I don't think he is deliberately trying to rip anyone off. He is just passing off his costs to the buyer. It is just an odd way to buy a gun, IMO.

Now as far as the .22 magazine capacity debate..................:shrug: I think he is wrong, but since he is an FFL and I am not I find myself questioning my thinking.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I have not seen anyone else make this interpretation on tubular magazine. The magazine linked too is a detachable box magazine. The 10/22 is a rotary magazine. Something like a Henry Frontier Rifle has a fixed tubular magazine and I think that is what type the exemption was for as tubular magazines are typically fixed magazines.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have not seen anyone else make this interpretation on tubular magazine. The magazine linked too is a detachable box magazine. The 10/22 is a rotary magazine. Something like a Henry Frontier Rifle has a fixed tubular magazine and I think that is what type the exemption was for as tubular magazines are typically fixed magazines.

This is correct.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    No reason to second guess yourself. He is wrong. You cannot buy any magazines in MD > 10rd capacity.

Unless it is a .22 tubular magazine or you are a LEO or retired law enforcement.

Just because he's an FFL does not mean he has any idea what he's talking about. The way he chooses to conduct business and the way he conducts himself on a public forum are pretty good evidence of that.

He can choose to do business however he wants. The biggest problem is that as a license holder his customers will seek his advice. They could end up breaking the law through no fault of thier own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom