• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Andy --

an accuwedge/adjuster is a nice add.

IMO, a threaded bolt catch hole is a MUCH nicer add. I have several lowers with the threaded hole and it simply makes the assembly process so much nicer/easier for us that don't have a lot of time with the roll pin punches. No need to tape up the lower for fear of scratching it.

my 2 cents - great lowers - can't wait for my next 2 and my uppers to arrive.
    Thanks

For mag catch and trigger guard installation i found its faster and easier to tape the jaws of channel locks and squeeze the pin in. No scratching receiver or breaking the tabs.

BlueRibbon

Jan 18, 2013
    I tried to dremel the corners but in order to get the Mag to seat I ended up having to remove about 1/8" all the way around the ridge base before it would seat. Even then after getting the mag to seat the magazine would not feed reliably. It would fail to strip the first round and last round.

I too had to cut 4 corners to make it sit but haven't fired it with modified mag yet. From what you have described, it is not even worth it.

Andy was kind enough to let me have a couple of pmags so I'll stick with pmags or USGI aluminum ones. Bought these thermolds during "panic" period. They are cheap and feel cheap too.

Just put down deposit for another lower. Building AR is addictive :D

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I too had to cut 4 corners to make it sit but haven't fired it with modified mag yet. From what you have described, it is not even worth it.

Andy was kind enough to let me have a couple of pmags so I'll stick with pmags or USGI aluminum ones. Bought these thermolds during "panic" period. They are cheap and feel cheap too.

Just put down deposit for another lower. Building AR is addictive :D

Yep, I got a bunch of Thermolds for free, they are worth every penny. I have a good supply of Lancer mags that work great. Probably will get more before the ban.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    Mine went together easily. PSA LPK, ALG trigger. Waiting for the Big Brown Truck to bring the upper.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375390892.400968.jpg

Trey

Aug 20, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Surefire 60rd magazine does not lock up. It looks like the "shoulder" of the magazine where it swells out is contacting the bottom of the magwell. Compared to the LWRC lower I had handy (which does accept the surefire), it looks like the Engage magwell extends a tad bit lower.

Lancer L5 AWM and Gen 1 and Gen 2 pmags all lock up OK, haven't tested any feeding. One of the Gen 1 pmags didn't drop free but was easily removed by hand.

ar15

Feb 20, 2013
    I have mine Completed with a PSA upper. Seems as though with PSA is a hit or miss.
    one of my PSA uppers has no "slack/ Slop" the other one has alot! :(

I also tested a few other uppers and they all seem to fit great.
    Daniel Defense Upper - Snug Fit
    CBARMS complete upper (uses RedX arms upper I think) - Great snug Fit
    BCM Upper - Snug Fit
    PSA - one snug/ one sloppy (hit or miss)

As for thermolds I had to Modifiy all my Thermold Mags (pretty much take off alot of material off of the middle ridge, Kinda ugly but they work/ fit and fire great)

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Daniel Defense Upper - Snug Fit

OMG - My new Daniel Defense upper was insanely tight, especially on the pivot pin which needed quite a bit of convincing to go through. I think this is pretty much part of their design. My other three uppers fit nice and snug. Pins pushed cleanly through by hand.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm good now. No plans to take it down. I have the plastic pin tool so if I did, i don't see it as a big deal. That's just me.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Concerning the upper lower fit, would people appreciate an oval rear take down pin? Essentially all uppers would be tight.

How about a threaded tensioner instead? Imagine it would be easier to drill and tap another hole rather than replace the take down pin hole with one which is not circular

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    How about a threaded tensioner instead? Imagine it would be easier to drill and tap another hole rather than replace the take down pin hole with one which is not circular

Wouldnt replace it but on the new uppers we would make the rear lug of the upper oval. The tensioner on the lower is a neat idea, but its a good amount of work to get one set up (build gun, test upper, adjust, reinstall grip), not to mention would up our machining costs, when most fitting issues could be cured by an accu-wedge.

One thing though that we are seriously considering is the threaded bolt hold open, also going ambi.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    ... (build gun, test upper, adjust, reinstall grip), not to mention would up our machining costs, when most fitting issues could be cured by an accu-wedge....

One thing though that we are seriously considering is the threaded bolt hold open, also going ambi.

Love the idea of a threaded bolt hold open. For me (new to building lowers) the roll pin for the bolt hold open is the part I like least.

WRT a threaded tensioner, using a grip without the whale tale allows for adjustment with out removing the grip. Of course, some folks like the HighRise grips, so like other engineering challenges, it's always about compromise....

Thx

---
    Shamr0ck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads