• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    So last week I had a Kaboom with Federal Champion 22lr 36gr hp which I beleive was ammo related....................Now I was loading some mag's with Federal Champion 9mm 115gr plated round nose and get this.
    Anyone else experiencing problems with Federal ammo?
    I have gone through Bunches of both without any previous problems.

Attachments

• DSCN9280.jpg
      DSCN9280.jpg
      93.8 KB · Views: 392
    • DSCN9283.jpg
      DSCN9283.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 390

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Never had aproblem with Federal.

Just curious, I've never heard of a 22 kaboom; didn't know that could happen. Did it cause any damage or injury? Hope you're ok.

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    Wow...I've used a lot of Federal ammo over the years and have never had anything like that happen. Nor have I ever had a problem with their American Eagle branded ammo. May want to contact them about the 9mm stuff though.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    The 22lr has been discussed in the rimfire section. I'm wondering about how common it is to have problems with Federal ammo in general. Federal has been my "go to" ammo for quite sometime with out any hickups.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Last year several lots of Federal .45 auto got recalled. I hope they are not having more quality control issues! I make sure I look at every cartridge I shoot now no matter who makes it. I've found various problems with several different kinds of factory ammo and surplus military ammo so it's better to be safe than sorry. Examples: I've found cartridges with the primer sticking way out to the point where it will not stand, cartridges with the edge of the neck bent down by the bullet, and rifle cartridges that have way more powder than the others from the same box. I still have these bad cartridges as a reminder to always check, and I wrote "bad" on them with permanent marker. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Dammit people, I really like Federal 9mm ammo. I'm still going to buy it, guess I have to inspect it more carefully before I shoot it.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Looks to me like the .22 may have been an out of battery firing?

I think this ^^^^^ on the .22.

Regarding the 9mm shortbus cartridges, I suspect the quality is lower in the Wallyworld Federal Chumpion (yes Chumpion) as Wallyworld contracted (suspected once again, haven't seen Chumpion ammo anywhere else) with Federal to produce ammo at a cheaper price than Federal American Eagle ammo.

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    I was using Federal Champion 9mm for a short while when the price of the WWB jumped, but the quality was so miserable I quit using it. I'm not the greatest handgun shooter by any stretch past 20 yds, but the Champion ammo was costing me shots at 15 yds.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    It was probably not related to the brand of ammo used.

I had the same thing happen with a Winchester .22 round. I believe the problem was caused by a bent/loose bullet in the round. When a .22 round misfeeds the bullet often will get bent slightly. When this happens, I put them aside. A friend wanted to shoot my rifle. I didn't realize until it was too late that he had grabbed these rounds and loaded them into my rifle. I believe what happened to my rifle is that since the round was bent, that it didn't feed all the way and was fired out side of the chamber. The back end of the round blew off taking my extractor with it.

I got rid of the aftermarket magazines I was using, so I don't get the jammed rounds as often. When I get a bent round, I put them in a box. When I let someone shoot my rifle, I generally load the magazines myself and let them shoot.

IMO it could have been a bent or loose round that had previously miss fed and was reloaded in your rifle that caused the problem. It wouldn't matter what brand you were using if this was what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom