• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    I probably should have asked this question before I put in my order. But has anyone else looked into these yet?

Basically it is a AK style upper that fits to a AR lower. Piston driven, forward (non-nonreciprocating) charging handle with easily changeable barrels. Current offerings are 5.56 and 300 BLK.

Website
    Facebook

They were at the Shot show:

The web site don't make a lot of information easily available but it has only been up for a couple of weeks and is improving. There is more information if you dig though their comments on the Facebook page.

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    Hadn't heard of it until now, but it looks wicked. Once I get my engage lower(and more green paper) it will be something I'll have to consider for it.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm so tired of people trying to reinvent the freaking wheel. Tell me again why direct impingement is so fatally flawed that it requires a piston to replace it? Colt built piston ARs back in the 60s... this is not a new idea.

If you want an AK, get a f***ing AK.

/rant

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    Wow, I was not expecting that.... it was not my intent to get into a religious discussion about the merits of direct impingement vs. piston designs. Stag and others are currently making piston driven AR uppers, so that is not really an issue.

As a lefty I like the fact that they offer both left and right handed models. Stag also has left handed models but availability is an issue right now. I don't have an unlimited budget (money or time) to buy all the different guns would like. Because this fits unto a standard AR lower I can easily swap in/out a standard AR upper if I want. I really like the idea of easily changing barrels but I'm not sure that it is a good idea in practice with having to re-zero your sights/optics.

I'm hoping to have a civil discussion about this product it's features.

ZX672

Feb 21, 2010
    Olney
    If you want the option to swap out barrels, I highly recommend the LMT MRP platform (upper). I have been very happy with mine and I am able to swap between a 10.5 16 with no problems. The new MRPs have evolved to the detachable rail sections, etc. The new ones are much more expensive and availability may be a issue, but are worth your time looking into. Just my two cents.

I also think the ARAK 21 is pretty cool, but over priced.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Wow, I was not expecting that.... it was not my intent to get into a religious discussion about the merits of direct impingement vs. piston designs. Stag and others are currently making piston driven AR uppers, so that is not really an issue.

As a lefty I like the fact that they offer both left and right handed models. Stag also has left handed models but availability is an issue right now. I don't have an unlimited budget (money or time) to buy all the different guns would like. Because this fits unto a standard AR lower I can easily swap in/out a standard AR upper if I want. I really like the idea of easily changing barrels but I'm not sure that it is a good idea in practice with having to re-zero your sights/optics.

Piston vs. DI is an issue... piston is an answer for a problem MANY others have pondered because they bought into some hype that the AK is inherently more reliable than an AR. This has been beaten to death a thousand times, but I will set it straight once again: DI works fine, and has the most viable, proven options available on the AR platform, and is the original design. Piston makers are mostly seeking to sell more expensive rifles with proprietary parts to people that either don't know any better or have bought into the hype or have money to burn on yet another "new" thing as featured on the cover of the latest issue of SWAT or Special Weapons or other such garbage.

I've never personally ran into any left-handed shooter who had ARs constantly kick brass into their face. There is a shell deflector on the M16/AR upper to solve this issue. If it's a problem for you, I can understand.

However you talk about the availability of a STAG rifle... what about parts for this FAXON rifle? They're a new company with a (from what I can tell) completely proprietary upper. What do you do if your bolt/bolt carrier craps out? Where do you find replacement barrels? With a lefty STAG, yes, the upper receiver, bolt carrier group and bolt are proprietary, but every other part is identical to a standard AR. Just food for thought.

How much has this company spent on R&D? Do you really know how good this system will be? Sure it may look cool now but you may also get stuck with an expensive rifle that never works quite right, with a company that can't/won't support it (if they even stay in business), and gunsmiths/armorers who may not be able to service it (see the belt-fed SHRIKE as one good example).

History shows more than a few neat rifle concepts that never went anywhere. Sticking with a standard AR or even a STAG will allow you many more PROVEN choices when it comes to barrels, handguards, spare parts, ability to have it serviced quickly if you have problems, etc.

If you want the option to swap out barrels, I highly recommend the LMT MRP platform (upper). I have been very happy with mine and I am able to swap between a 10.5 16 with no problems. The new MRPs have evolved to the detachable rail sections, etc. The new ones are much more expensive and availability may be a issue, but are worth your time looking into. Just my two cents.

I also think the ARAK 21 is pretty cool, but over priced.

Interchangeable barrels? It took Remington and FN a few years to release extra barrels for their ACR and SCAR, respectively, and each of these reputable manufacturers have been in business for over 100 years... I would be cautious investing in a rifle built by a company no one has heard of that promises so much.

Just my opinion but I see this as another guy 20 years late to the AR party and 10 years late to the piston craze. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you the perspective of someone who has devoted years of time and thousands of dollars into learning this platform inside and out. I see these upstart piston AR guys in the same light as those aholes at the mall trying to sell me some magic Dead Sea salt manicuring bs at the kisoks in the malls. I've gotten along fine without it my whole life, don't need it, now get out of my face and stop trying to give me a manicure. :rolleyes:

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Smores, I understand your thinking but some people like having novelties. Before sandy hook I was looking at Rock Rivers LAR-47, basically a proprietary lower that takes AK mags and a proprietary AR upper meant shoot AK rounds. I wanted one because I personally do not like the look of the AK as a rifle but the LAR-47 looked AK-ish but had all the ergos of an AR. Would I rock this company's upper maybe but I would not buy one to be a guinea pig. I see issues that could come into play with all the lowers on market I can see issues with maybe 10% and which 10% is up in the air until these uppers have had some time out in peoples hands.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I can kinda see the market: long-stroke piston, bufferless (ie, folding stock), and what looks like a LHS (ambi?) non-reciprocating charging handle. It's not super easy to get a folding stock AR-15 that uses a centerfire upper.

Whether it's worth paying that price, I'm not so sure.

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    I've bought the ARAK-21 upper in the left handed model a while ago. I have not had the chance to fire it yet. The build quality is good but until I get the chance to exercise it a bit I don't want to say much more. I see that they are now selling lowers and complete rifles. But don't know if they would be legal in Maryland.

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    I have both the original .556 and 300 Blackout barrels. I also see that they have expanded into 7.62x39. They're are also now offering standard AR barrels in a number of calibers, lengths and profiles.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I was looking at this at one point, but there were issues with something (bolt maybe?),when they were first released. However, the reviews about the problem being resolved seemed positive, with Faxon customer support being very easy to deal with. Faxon barrels have a good rep and the customer service is good. Who cares if it's not DI. It's something a little different and looks cool.
    BTW I don't have any experience with Faxon, just did a bunch of reading and searching when I was in the market.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    It doesn't meet (The Upper) any of the MSP Ban requirements, it similar to the SIG MCX in function, and even though the SIG MCX is on the Banned List it is because it has the Flash Suppressor and the Folding Stock (2 of the 3 evils)...therefore if you compare the two keep only one of the 3 Evils. The ARAK 21 upper not being of a DI copy it doesn't meet the HBAR criteria so any lower should do as long it is appropriately accounted for from a purchase point..."See I finally getting all of this stuff"...

AS far as DI and Piston argument...I believe its a reaction to causality, economics, laws, and just plain old innovation...yeah there are "Diehards" out there and that's there thing...

Though the fact you can have your rifle they way you want it (Legally), I believe makes "you" a better shooter regardless if its AR, AK, DI Piston, Muzzle Loader, Lever Action, Bolt Action, Revolver...JMO...

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

I'd like to see a folding stock model, that recoil buffer isn't doing anything back there. The mechanism of the rifle literally makes it completely useless and redundant.

I think they also have a 7.62x39 one as well.

Their nitriding is excellent, and they actually helped pioneer a way to nitride stainless that does not interfere with corrosion resistance, although I would still rather have the 4140 or 4150. I have one of their barrels on a build, it is a FANTASTIC shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom