• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theneckie

Jun 7, 2013
    Queen Anne
    I have been doing a 308 build and was planning on a ranier ultramach barrel for it, but recently I have been also been looking at faxon barrels. Does anyone have one, or had any experiences with them?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I have been doing a 308 build and was planning on a ranier ultramach barrel for it, but recently I have been also been looking at faxon barrels. Does anyone have one, or had any experiences with them?
    Faxon seems like a budget barrel when compared to the Rainier barrels. Checkout Ballistic Advantages barrels too, they have a 1MOA guarantee.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Faxon does not market their .308 barrels as a match barrel. If you are not looking to uber accuracy they will work great for your needs.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have several of them ( Both AR15 and AR10) No complaints from me! I feel its a great barrel for the money .

theneckie

Jun 7, 2013
    Queen Anne
    I would like as much accuracy as my wallet will afford, I know you generally get what you pay for, but with that being said I don't plan on doing match shooting. Just paper punching, and most likely a hog gun for future hunts. If I can get a quality barrel for closer to $300 that's what I would like. The ballistic advantage barrels look like they could be a good option along with criterion.

theneckie

Jun 7, 2013
    Queen Anne
    i went with the ballistic advantage 20" stainless barrel, i took it out today it holds up to its sub moa guarantee. i was using 168 grain privi partisan match ammo.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have a Faxon gunner 5.56 barrel that is sub-MOA. Fit and finish are quite good. I have a "standard profile" BHW in .223wylde that is more accurate, but I don't think they go for $230 anymore, which is what I paid a few years back. Pretty sure they are way more than that. I like the Hansen profile BA barrels a lot as well. BHW is probably the most accurate out of them all, but I'm still buying a Faxon 5R barrel in .308 for my next large frame AR build. Good price point, light weight, apparently quite accurate, and I like nitrided barrels whenever possible. Probably unnecessary for .308, but we all have our foibles.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I have a 16" and 18" gunner on lightweight builds. They are decent and sub MOA using ammo that was worked up for other guns.... I use them for 3 gun. They do move around a little(after warm up) if I go to war on any long range targets. I'm not a mag dump guy but i will shoot 30 rounds in 2 min on occasion. I think they are a great value for the money.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    I have 16" 1:8 Faxon .223 Wylde Heavy Fluted that I got recently. Mine seems to like the heavier 77gr bullets which it will shoot sub-MOA. Lighter bullets are just over 1MOA.

I tried both some Freedom 77gr HPBT rounds and some Sierra TMK rounds at 77gr that shot about the same (.8-.9MOA). Same brands in 69gr just a little worse. Some Hornady Steel Match 75gr didn't go well at all.

I expect a more experienced shooter behind the gun could do even better.

I chose the Faxon over BA just because I wanted the lighter weight of the fluted barrel in the MD happy Heavy profile. So far I am happy with what I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom