• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I've known about and practiced the Failure drill (AKA Mozambique drill) for a while. But I recently heard about the Tueller Drill, which was quite informative.

So I'm wondering what else you guys might know about or be practicing along those lines.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ball and dummy drills are always good. Have someone else load your mags with a couple of snap caps or otherwise demilled cases. It forces you to practice clearing malfunctions and may help show if you're anticipating the shot.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Whenever I'm with a new shooter, I'll run a Mozambique drill for show and lolz. But I do agree that malfunction drills with snap caps are the best, especially if you're using a reliable firearm. (Rimfires tend to produce this kind of situation on their own...)

The other nice thing about randomly putting in a snap cap is letting you see your own flinch... I video-taped my dad doing it, it was pretty epic to see on a shotgun.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If I'm at a range that allows this, I like to do mag change drills. I load mags with varying amounts of ammo to keep myself on my toes.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I tend toward DeWalt drills, since Craftsman doesn't sell US made drills anymore.

As for pistol drills, I do malfunction drills more than anything else. Especially with my reloads.

Jim

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I've been happy with my Hitachi DS18DLPR 18 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Driver Drill for close quarters.
    For the big heavy duty stuff I have an old Wilton 5816 VS.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The type of drill depends on 1) what you're planning on becoming proficient at 2) where are your weaknesses. If i'm training for bullseye shooting, I may just put a laser on the gun i plan to use and do some dot sighting and dry-fire presses with snapcaps.

Basically, i'd either put a dot on the wall or use a lightswitch as a target. Next, i'd try to put my body in the correct position(mainly footing) relative to the target. Then i'd close my eyes and raise the gun to my natural point of aim and open my eyes. Assuming the gun has been sighted in correctly with the laser, it should help you consistently find a natural point of aim when bullseyin. It should also give you feedback and a base of reference for how to tape off your feet at the range with live ammo.

Laser dry-fire would be another one to work on. Once natural aim is figured out, i'd practice my grip, and breathing as i press the trigger. When the trigger breaks, i'd pay close attention to which direction the laser jumped. I'd use this drill from various shooting positions/ grip styles depending on what i'm training for.

Reloading drills. Wouldn't really need these for slower precision shooting, but if your goal is IDPA/IPSC stuff then reloading/failure drills would be EXTREMELY important. Again, snap caps work well for this. Airsoft also offers a good training aid for this if you buy the same airsoft gun as your real one. At the range, i like having someone load in snap caps randomly(like mentioned earlier) to create a stress response when i'm surprised by the failure. The only thing is to work this at a range where if your snap cap goes forward of the shooting line during clearing, you can get it back later.

Another fun reloading drill i like is to load 3 mags with 2 shots each. I try to go through them as fast as i can, while keeping them all in a 4" target at 7 yds. It's fun for working on reloading, reacquiring the front sight, punching out to shoot consistently, and double-taps under control.

I used the above drill, but from behind cover to help with my habit of forgetting to go back behind cover during a reload. During each reload, i'd tuck back behind cover and then lean over again when punching out to shoot.

If you're thinking you'll be more up-close and personal, you may work drills where you draw and quickly shoot from retention while moving. Or even non-shooting disarming drills.

"favorite drill" is a pretty open question and really depends on your desired outcome. Like anything teaching, think of outcomes first and then design a lesson backwards with intentionality in it from there.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    ...no need for stinkin' batteries

schroeder_drill_sm.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    oh yeah, this ranks as one of my favorite(for the wrong reasons) to watch...

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I see the snapcap drills are popular with a lot of people. And that seems like a good idea.

There's no getting rounds that roll out at my range, unless you're willing to stick around until closing.

Could you reuse a spent shell once, or is the indention already too deep? Presuming I don't just get a jam.

Though I think I'll try that with my .357 mag the next time I'm out since it's a revolver. I suppose with that I don't even need anybody else loading mags since I could spin it with my eyes closed and then shoot.

The Mozambique drill is the last thing I want a new shooter to see.

Ok. So what do you want a new shooter to see. Or do you mean you just start them working on breathing, trigger control, stance etc and don't mess with drills of any sort until much later.

Still, once you've spent a fair number of rounds at the range, is there anything you'd suggest?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/shooting-usa/jerry-miculek-trigger-control
    http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/shooting-usa/jerry-miculek-stance
    http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/shooting-usa/jerry-miculek-revolver-grip

this should help with your revolver. Something important to do is to seek professional help(not the same kind clandestine should seek), to give you active feedback. You'll often mature faster and cheaper as a shooter with someone who knows their stuff catching your mistakes and offering tweaks right on the spot than just trying to iron things out yourself. Another good thing about a quality instructor is that they'll be able to give you the drills that will most improve your shooting for in between lessons.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    The Mozambique drill is the last thing I want a new shooter to see.

I agree, but I'm curious as to your reasons.

I feel the "Mozambique" drill takes the shooter away from the proper habit of hitting center mass. Two shots to center mass might just not have hit a vital area and taking the time to pause, assess, and then adjust to a new target is the wrong decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom