• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have the Matech on the rear. I don't know how you could do any better for the money.

Pick them up for next to nothing all day long on arfcom.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'm looking to change to flip.. I like my fixed and the fact that it is a ranging sight, but the flip outta the way is very appealing with a red dot and using a lower 1/3 cowitness.

I actually think fixed rear sights are better when running a Red Dot lower 1/3rd. Flip sights are good when you want to run absolute red dots or magnified optics.

Here's why I like fixed with lower 1/3rd. The rear sight shouldn't even be in the sight picture if you're running lower 1/3rd. If something happens to your optics and you need to transition fast to your irons then all you need to do is lower your cheek weld to engage the irons. Lowering your cheek weld takes fractions of a second where changing your grip to flip a sight takes a good bit longer.

I just don't see the point in a flip sight when using a red dot in a lower 1/3rd.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I actually think fixed rear sights are better when running a Red Dot lower 1/3rd. Flip sights are good when you want to run absolute red dots or magnified optics.

Here's why I like fixed with lower 1/3rd. The rear sight shouldn't even be in the sight picture if you're running lower 1/3rd. If something happens to your optics and you need to transition fast to your irons then all you need to do is lower your cheek weld to engage the irons. Lowering your cheek weld takes fractions of a second where changing your grip to flip a sight takes a good bit longer.

I just don't see the point in a flip sight when using a red dot in a lower 1/3rd.

Good point! I'll run it this way for a while and see how I like it before I make any changes.. :thumbsup:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have been very happy with the LWRC skirmish sights, which are made by troy.

I got a Skirmish rear sight when they first came out with my SBR and love it. I just got a Matech BUIS a few months ago for use with another build.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have Diamondheads on my Stag. I have Magpuls on all the rest. I can't see past 50 so work just fine. The Magpuls have been holding their zero nicely.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I second the Matech recommendation; durable, simple, and USGI issue.

and cheap....I see at least a couple ads for them on arfcom for $40 right now. I know there's some fakes out there, but there's a couple of discussions online on how to tell the difference.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    and cheap....I see at least a couple ads for them on arfcom for $40 right now. I know there's some fakes out there, but there's a couple of discussions online on how to tell the difference.

My friend found a guy on Craigslist selling a bunch of "extra" gear from his last deployment a few months back. We got 3 Matech BUIS sights in the baggie packed in grease for $30 a piece, among other things.

Although he broke my screw messing around trying it on his 6920 so I need to order the upgraded screw/clamp from Battle Arms Development.

The MAGPUL MBUS sights are good too, they really can't be beat for the money, IMO.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

At the range shooting paper or steel, im not worried about fractions of a second...its a range.

pistonfan

Jan 22, 2009
    I have been very happy with the LWRC skirmish sights, which are made by troy.

LWRC Skirmish Sights are made by Us at LWRC, when we first started producing rifles in our Cambridge facility in 2008 we did use Troys sights, but once we finished designing the Skirmish sights and started manufacturing, they turned into our standard issue.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    When you're only worried about a range gun, there should be no reason to care about BUIS's at all.

I just don't normally encounter packs of rampaging indians at my range or returned fire. I dont wanna shoot where you shoot! :)

I understand the point of them, I was more just fooling around.

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    I have the magpul flips on my latest upper. sighted in at 50, I'm very pleased for the price. It is primarily a scope gun but thought they wouldn't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom