• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    Picked up a 20 round pmag friday for just using at the range. Went to the range and had two ejection failures on the same mag. Out of maybe 40-60 rounds.

Is this normal for smaller mags? The reason I ask is because I've ran a couple hundred through various 30 round pmags with no issues thus far.

The gun worked flawlessly on clearing them

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    No expierence with 20rounds in 5.56 weapons. How clean was the rifle? Lubed? I had issues from not lubing my carbine enough. Thought I would test it with small amounts of lube.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have never heard of mags causing FTE. Stovepipes,tip jamed below the feed ramp, failure to pick up next round,etc but FTE is usually a rough chamber,ammo or extractor.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I have never heard of mags causing FTE. Stovepipes,tip jamed below the feed ramp, failure to pick up next round,etc but FTE is usually a rough chamber,ammo or extractor.

They can if the spring is extra strong and pushing up on the bolt carrier enough, or otherwise interfering with the carrier, to slow it down sufficiently.

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    No expierence with 20rounds in 5.56 weapons. How clean was the rifle? Lubed? I had issues from not lubing my carbine enough. Thought I would test it with small amounts of lube.

Very clean and freshly lubed last week.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have never had an issue with 30 rnd P-mags, but I have one 20 rounder and it's a POS. I only use it for the range and will never buy any more.

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010

Maybe. I'm not sure how to tell if the chamber or extractor are rough. Just looked at the same lot of ammo (federal) and it looks ok.

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    They can if the spring is extra strong and pushing up on the bolt carrier enough, or otherwise interfering with the carrier, to slow it down sufficiently.

This is kinda what I thought also. I wasn't sure if it was because it was a 20 round vs. a 30 or what, but It was definitely heavier to load...

Hell, I even threw in a shity GI mag with magpul followers and ran 30 through it with no issues.

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304904725.111157.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304904725.111157.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 116

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You have answered your own question. The mag is bad, use ones that work or pay a reputable AR gunsmith to modify the gun so it will function with those mags.

Theres several things that can be modded on the upper, lower, and carrier to make it run if the mags are worth the effort to you.

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    You have answered your own question. The mag is bad, use ones that work or pay a reputable AR gunsmith to modify the gun so it will function with those mags.

Theres several things that can be modded on the upper, lower, and carrier to make it run if the mags are worth the effort to you.

Lol. It's just one mag, all the 30's work great. But I wouldn't mind letting you have it for a couple hours to ensure everything is in proper order. :0)

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    So the extractor was dropping the case? What kind of extractor spring do you have?

Shit, now you got me thinking. if I remember right it's like the spent round came out a little, it let go then tried to feed the new round.

Whatever spring colt puts in there...

Anubis

Dec 26, 2010
    I have never had an issue with 30 rnd P-mags, but I have one 20 rounder and it's a POS. I only use it for the range and will never buy any more.

Maybe we can get clandestine to customize the spring for them?
    Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom