• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Someone on the forum peaked my interest in the XLR5. Does anyone have experience with one. I am Interested in the goods and bads. I am looking for a dedicated clays gun primarily for skeet but occasionally sporting clays, 5 stand, and wobble.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I own one. Bought it for myself 2 years ago (for my 50th birthday) when it had just come out.

Here's the thread from then: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=84166

So I've been shooting it for about 2 years. Bottom line is that I believe it to be the best semi-auto I've ever shot. It's smooth and swings like a dream. The action is quick and smooth, it can be adjusted to fit just about anyone, the bolt release is exactly where it should be on all semi's (on the left side so you can press your palm against it), and it's a 12 gauge that recoils like a 28 gauge.

High points: Excellent fit and finish, beautiful wood, easy to clean, comes with everything in the box to adjust weight, balance, comb height, rib height, pattern dispersal, etc., and low recoil, easy to set up for all the clay games.

Potential drawback : they ain't cheap, and if you're looking for a multi-tasker it's not a field gun or suited for HD. It was designed as a competition target gun (which for me is a high point).

Note: in my initial review I thought it a tad heavy, but I don't think that anymore. The weight and balance is superb for target shooting. The weight lets you swing it smoothly. Some gun are whippy. The Velocity isn't. But the balance is just about perfect.

I love mine. It's a real clay smasher!

Last edited:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I also own one and am very happy with it, it is a complete package that needs nothing added to it. Easy to clean for a semi. I'm finding that it is becoming my favorite sporting clays gun and has done well at trap.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
      IMG_0526.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 453

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I saw one of these in a shop on Friday night - the owner said he was keeping it for himself! The wood/grain was outstanding. If it shoots as good as it looks:party29: I didn't even ask how much.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    I have one and shot it this past weekend at Pintail for the Outback Classic... Love it... SUPER easy to clean, shoots well, and fits like a glove. At first I thought it was a tad heavier than my Berettas and Remingtons but shooting it you never notice. Gryphon saw mine.... Mine has beautiful wood on it with the silver receiver and adjustable rib. Its a keeper! If you get to PA for clays your more than welcome to try it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom