• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Is there a specific recommended location for a reddot (ie Aimpoint T1)?

A lot of rifles now a days have a full length top rail, so as long as its not interfering with back up iron sights, you can put it anywhere. I generally like mine 5-7" from my nose, but I see a lot of folks with them further away.

Any science in fitting or all personal preference?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Already discussed in other threads; consensus is that it's just personal preference.

I see LaRue and many other highly respected optics company's most often position them above or slightly forward of the ejection port, like in this image:

t1_long.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One of the under apprecated aspects of non-magnifing Red Dot is complete flexability in eye relief. As noted above a frequent location is far enough foreward to not get in the way of rear iron sight.

If I were to play with one , I would like to try on mounted in Scout position.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Crap - you were talking about placement!! Read the OP's post!!

Yes - as far forward on the receiver as possible like in the pic above. I actually have both eyes open when I shoot and it works well for me.

RAC

Mar 10, 2011
    MD
    Personal preference. My T1 is between the T6 & T12 notches. I've read that some people w/ astigmatism run theirs a little further back.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Depends on the optic.

Aimpoint - As far forward as possible, typically the mount is right over the ejection port.

EO-Tech - I prefer to mount those farther back on the receiver, seems a bit easier to maintain both eyes open there.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It depends. Are you going to put a magnifier behind it at some point? I put an Aimpoint on a cantilever mount as I planned on getting a magnifier at some point so I wanted it further ahead to leave room.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Holographic sights like the eotech... Closer to the back, this provides the widest field of view and gives you the smallest reticle. Holographic reticles tend to appear bigger when it is further away from the eye.

For aimpoints... By the ejection port area.. Maintains the weapons balance and allows for BUIS, magnifiers to be added on without re zero

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have 2 Aimpoints and one detachable Aimpoint 3x magnifier. I like to first set the eye relief for the magnifier (making sure it clears the rear iron sights when they're folded down flat) and THEN set the Aimpoint red dot so it sits comfortably in front of the magnifier.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Your stock position is also important, some guys like to run their stocks almost collapsed with noses to the charging handle (AR Platform). While some like there stocks fully extended. I have seen the guys with the fully extended stocks run their sights rearward close to their BUIS, and the exact opposite for the guys with collapsed stocks. Really boils down to the distance from your head to the sight to the muzzle, you want to have your red dot some where close to the half way point (40/60) which gives you a clean sight picture and peripheral view (try to get the best balance). Here are to good examples from two good instructors, notice the stock position, head and sight even though all are different the one constant is that the distance from the sight to their face is very similar.

Jason Falla (sight roughly in the middle of receiver)
    221800_221086157901665_201698463173768_927562_2485012_n.jpg

Travis haley (sight far forward on receiver)
    Haley%20(13).jpg

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    It looks like three notches to me. In reality with most RDS there is less than two inches of possible real estate variance.

The dude on the bottom must be a midge as that SOPMOD stock actually fits him; he is able to tuck in tight and give that charging handle Eskimo kisses. The dude on top is much lankier and probably needs the extra stock extension...

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I actually think there is only one or two notches difference in those two pictures. Look at the magazine.

More like 3-4 notches different, but that's not the point. I am trying to point out no matter where they placed their optic/stock they both had about the same distance between there head/eyes from the optic (roughly 12 inches).

Here is Costa

Costa-Sportin-FS-Take-II.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom