• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boomboom929

Dec 13, 2008
    Rockville
    I'm a bit ADD and my searches are not what you would call "exhaustive", so forgive me for being lazy, but what are your choice of shooting glasses?

I keep finding ill-fitting and fog prone glasses. I hate to buy new glasses and find them to be lacking.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'm a bit ADD and my searches are not what you would call "exhaustive", so forgive me for being lazy, but what are your choice of shooting glasses?

I keep finding ill-fitting and fog prone glasses. I hate to buy new glasses and find them to be lacking.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

I personally use my sunglasses for shooting outside which are Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ's. You can also buy pop in lenses in various colors or tints and change out in about 10 seconds. These glasses aren't cheap, but they are lifetime warrantied and the lenses are factory tested by firing ball bearings at them.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I also wear a pair of Oakleys', they are very pricey though and have a limited selection of tints depending on what model you get. I also have a pair of Wiley X and they are very good for the money, comfortable, good lens selection that pops in and out very easily and very durable.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Almost hate to say this because this is a straight up Chinese company.

But it was highly recommended to me by a couple trusted friends and since we have bought several glasses, and found them very reputable. If you don't mind getting emails in Chinese characters, which poses an issue for some of us.

http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php

--beyond getting a good deal on glasses, and shooting glasses, the first time I had a catastrophic failure was when I was playing paintball while stationed in Germany. We drove to a surrounding country and played on their field (killing field!), in the cold morning air my glasses fogged as soon as I started to run. I tried everything I had at my disposal, spit, heat (inside my shirt), everything I had ever heard, nothing really worked (but spit did kinda help at first).

For airsoft I recommend normal glasses with a lot of ventilation, just keep them as far as reasonable (with protection) from your face. For paintball, if you want the max, get the type that require batteries, and have a tiny fan to move the air. The coatings only seem to help as long as they last, under less than strenuous conditions.

Glasses yes, goggles no, unless you are really working.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    prescription glasses these days are constructed of a material that is considered a "safety glass." my glasses are my eye protection too.

Will any of those Wiley's fit over a pair of prescription glasses?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    prescription glasses these days are constructed of a material that is considered a "safety glass." my glasses are my eye protection too.

Not all are and one must compare the ANSI rating of the lens to make sure it's rated for shooting as not all safety glasses are constructed the same.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Zenni sells them as 'goggles'.

They won't advertise them as safety glasses or the designer glasses they imitate.

http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php?cat=27

You have good reason to be skeptical. But again from our experience, these glasses are 85% great at a 25% price, for what that's worth.

This is the best $35 (with shipping) you can spend on prescription shooting glasses, if you go this route, please let me know what you think, I recommend these only to close friends.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    WileyX makes RX inserts for some of their safety glasses. I purchased a pair, they worked great when I wore contacts but the inserts were not compatible with my RX due to angle. Very comfortable w/intchangeable lenses in several colors but I do not like to wear contacts so I sold them to a friend who swears by them. Mdeng

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom