• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The other day while attending some Kali/escrimma like training; I asked a few guys taking the course if they were confronted by a knife whirling maniac would they rather have a knife or a stick to defend themselves. All of them said stick. The guy I spent most of my time with when on layer to tell me the advantages of an aluminum expandable baton.

Nearly anything can be used as an improvised weapon if needed for self defense. Even if you can legally carry a firearm for self defense, don't you worry about your loved ones, I know I do.

A simple and legal to carry over sized flashlight or screwdriver can make a formatable weapon in a pinch. Pepperspray pretty much legal everywhere too.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    As usual, Joppa is right on the money.

Consider this, Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by a very big guy with an ASP. He went after her right knee. Seven weeks after the attack, Kerrigan skated what she considered to be the best two performances of her life and won the silver medal in the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Olympics.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

That's a good example of long-term effects. She recovered and did well. Consider this, though...

How well did she skate forty-five seconds after she was hit? Tanya's thug hit her, but just clubbing someone is no guarantee of permanent disability. An important consideration is immediacy. If you're trying to stop someone, your success is not based on long-term effects, but immediate (and perhaps temporary) results.

Batons and clubs work how they have worked since we climbed down from the trees. We have come up with far better weapons.

If your aim is to stop or reduce someone's aggressive advance, they can work. Monadnock and ASP offer classes in how to use their products. They are a known quantity in how they work. Their ultimate outcome is not as predictable. With some classes from a manufacturer, or some time in escrima/kali/arnis, you're going to be competent. How well you do with an opponent is still a crap shoot.

I appreciate Joppaj's experience with recruits launching the batons out of their hands. That is hilarious, but a great point: if you don't practice and understand how to handle a weapon, you will likely screw up in terrible ways. The "ASP Way" of opening a baton (strong hand flipping to strong shoulder) will lead to hilarity if the rookie doesn't keep a good grip.

I think it is better to have one than to be unarmed. I prefer the 16" ASP detective baton.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A simple and legal to carry over sized flashlight or screwdriver can make a formatable weapon in a pinch. Pepperspray pretty much legal everywhere too.[/QUOTE]

You carry an oversize screwdriver. Lol anyone make a holster? :) I guess one can Mexican carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    A simple and legal to carry over sized flashlight or screwdriver can make a formatable weapon in a pinch. Pepperspray pretty much legal everywhere too.

You carry an oversize screwdriver. Lol anyone make a holster? :) I guess one can Mexican carry it.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thought we were talking about common tools that one could keep in their car that are totally legal. Unless you were implying that this is 'mexican carry' LOL

KEN5933470K_0.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I didn't know you were talking about something in your car. I'll take a tire iron over that screwdriver. :)

Sent from somewhere in the world.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I keep a very large trailer ball wrench handy in case any balls need adjusting on short notice.

image-L.jpg

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    For the car, a tire iron is appropriate and IMHO better than a collapsible baton because one end is more heavily weighted than an asp and the other is pointy.

For the person, consider a 3' cane or walking stick of ipe, snakewood or ironwood...all heavy and dense enough to sink in water and put miscreants down for nappy time.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I was just reminded of something my Stepfather would say, pointing to the piece of curtain rod in the car.

"There's nothing more dangerous than a man with a short stick."

A length of Manzanita can be slim enough, while holding weight and durability.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I keep a very large trailer ball wrench handy in case any balls need adjusting on short notice.

image-L.jpg
    Yes! Someone else has watched the SciFi series V

Consider a cane. It can not be denied you to carry anywhere. Disabilities Act? A Southern Gentleman always has a walking stick for knaves.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Not having trained--or even practiced much--with one, I see it less as a defensive WEAPON, as it is a "spacemaker"... Something to keep the problem far enough away for me to consider my next option.

It's also why I sometimes carry a walking stick, even on days I don't really 'need' one.

Yeah, don't mess with a guy carrying a shillelagh.

I had to use a 4D Maglite in anger once. Works as advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom