• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That would mean any rifle round!

Level IIIa is only supposed to be resistant to handgun rounds. Level IV is for rifle rounds up to .308

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    That would mean any rifle round!

Level IIIa is only supposed to be resistant to handgun rounds. Level IV is for rifle rounds up to .308

It would depend on how you define armor piercing. M80 308 does not pierce Level III armor, and Level IV is resistant to 3006 M2 AP. Of course if you define armor piercing as anything that defeats level I armor almost any round can be considered armor piercing.

souprcampbell

Jul 5, 2014
    Middletown
    It would depend on how you define armor piercing. M80 308 does not pierce Level III armor, and Level IV is resistant to 3006 M2 AP. Of course if you define armor piercing as anything that defeats level I armor almost any round can be considered armor piercing.

There is a difference in NIJ standards for soft armor and plates. The officers that were murdered were wearing typical concealed soft armor. Most any center fire rifle round will penetrate most any soft armor.

In regards to what you posted about Lvl 3/4 armor as plate armor, you are correct. Not trying to nit pick, but we are at war with terminology these days.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    There is a difference in NIJ standards for soft armor and plates. The officers that were murdered were wearing typical concealed soft armor. Most any center fire rifle round will penetrate most any soft armor.

In regards to what you posted about Lvl 3/4 armor as plate armor, you are correct. Not trying to nit pick, but we are at war with terminology these days.

It makes no difference to the talking heads and their pet "firearm expert" pundits. But you knew that already.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I deflect 9's and .45 with these. One in each hand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 660

souprcampbell

Jul 5, 2014
    Middletown
    It makes no difference to the talking heads and their pet "firearm expert" pundits. But you knew that already.

NRA has an ad with Dom Raso speaking directly about this. Raso was also on FNC speaking about the same thing in more depth. I can't remember who interviewed him, but he quite simply just shut up and listened. :party29:

The language war is tough to win, but you already knew that.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

While I have not read the actual standards, I have not read anything to suggest that there are differences in the standards between soft armor and plate.

Penetration is not the only criterion for body armor, back side deformation is also a criterion. It is my understanding that the reason level III armor is hard is that it is not reasonable to meet the the back side deformation criterion with soft armor. If penetration is the only criterion, I suspect many of the older black powder era cartridges will fail to penetrate IIIa soft armor. I saw a video where the 45-70 cartridge was stopped by soft body armor. What is unclear is whether it would meet the back side deformation criterion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom