• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    Recently picked up a bcm charge handle and a joe bobs bcg and noticed it's starting to wear the finish and writing off the top of the ch. After noticing the wear I started checked for play and it seems excessive, I swapped the ch with another AR of mine with a spikes bcg and it seems no excessive play when with the spikes bcg. So then I checked play on the swapped out ch that's now with the joe bobs bcg and it seems sloppy like the other so my best guess is it has to do with the joe bobs bcg?? Anyone else ever have this issue?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    May not be the BCG, but the upper itself - lot's of variables at play.

If it is the BCG, just send Joseph an e-mail, he'll take good care of you.

DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    It could be the tolerances in the uppers like your saying, I've got 3 AR's and swapped bcg and ch around in all 3 and the bcm handle actually drags in one of them.. Frustrating stuff man, thanks for the reply

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Im not following what you are saying. If its just finish wear its normal. Are you greasing the stem of the Charging Handle?

I'm wondering the same thing. Sounds like normal finish wear from using the handle as designed. Receiver metal against the handle's finished surface means the finish will wear.

DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    I've never had a ch wear the finish off like this, I'll see if I can upload pictures from my phone. It may be the ch itself because like I said in an earlier post, it actually drags when pushing it back into the receiver.

DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    2zhejbc.jpg

2vsmfyw.jpg

35388bc.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looks like proper wear to me unlessntheres something malfunctioning. Mine have little to no finish left in those areas. Add some grease and have fun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looks like proper wear to me unlessntheres something malfunctioning. Mine have little to no finish left in those areas. Add some grease and have fun.

Looks about normal to me too.

The one in the .50B has a lot more wear than that, but it's been thru a few uppers over the years.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My quality charging handles do that immediately. The $5 stock handles with lots of play don't. For a BCM, I'd say it's normal.

DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    Ok good deal, I'm glad to know it's normal! My other charge handles are the stock cheepies and have no visible wear so that's why I was freeking about a $50 ch was showing wear so fast. Thanks everyone for the input!!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Mine are worse than that by far.

I saw some USAF charging handles that were worn completely bare including worn upper receivers that barely had anything left for the handle to latch on to.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Ok good deal, I'm glad to know it's normal! My other charge handles are the stock cheepies and have no visible wear so that's why I was freeking about a $50 ch was showing wear so fast. Thanks everyone for the input!!

A nice layer of Mobil 1 red Synth Grease and you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom