• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    We have a shooting range at my buddy's farm where I take my kids to shoot. Set up with steel targets and a bench. As of lately my buddies have begun to ask my 13 yr old daughter to shoot there guns too check for accuracy as they seem to be a lot less accurate then she is. As a matter of fact she seems to be a better shot then anyone I have shot with, not that Im shooting with any qualified marksman but just the average shooter. She is partial to pistols but is very good with a rifle as well. She is shooting at 3" targets at 10 yrds with a 75-80% hit ratio and she is hitting them dead center at that. My thought was, I would like to have someone evaluate her skills and see if she would be a good candidate for competitive shooting. We live in Carroll and I know there are several ranges close by, but don't know where to begin.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    We have a shooting range at my buddy's farm where I take my kids to shoot. Set up with steel targets and a bench. As of lately my buddies have begun to ask my 13 yr old daughter to shoot there guns too check for accuracy as they seem to be a lot less accurate then she is. As a matter of fact she seems to be a better shot then anyone I have shot with, not that Im shooting with any qualified marksman but just the average shooter. She is partial to pistols but is very good with a rifle as well. She is shooting at 3" targets at 10 yrds with a 75-80% hit ratio and she is hitting them dead center at that. My thought was, I would like to have someone evaluate her skills and see if she would be a good candidate for competitive shooting. We live in Carroll and I know there are several ranges close by, but don't know where to begin.

Does she show an interest and want to do it?

Maybe sign up for an Apple Seed event and see if she enjoys it.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club has a juniors program. We welcome any interested shooter to attend. The coaches are great! They meet Friday nights from 6pm-9pm and on Saturday mornings from 8:30AM-noon

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I know it well. I use to load trapp there in the late 70's. I use to ride my bike there as a kid when I couldn't find a ride. As a matter of fact my mother still lives couple miles away. Can here the shots from her house. Took my oldest daughtier there for her hunter safety course. Might have to stop in. Are there range regs post on the website? I e been lucky enough to have farms to shoot on so I've never been to a range other then the for mentioned.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    assuming you're focusing on action pistol, look thru this subforum for uspsa matches in your area and go and check them out. AFTER the match, talk with some of the shooters and get some input from them.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I would suggest you get her evaluated by Robby Orent. He can be reached thru the Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick. Not only was he a long time junior shooter tutored by pro Todd Jarrett but he was a coach who helped the US Junior Shooting Team to a win in the ICORE world championship (revolver). He was an early coach for Rosalie Hoyle who won the MD Ladies USPSA Championship in 2014 at the age of 17 shooting in the Production division (And her dad Peter is her main coach). She was also 42nd, 29th and 25th overall in the Open division the last 3 years in the PSA Shootout (first Lady twice and first Junior once out of 169, 193, and 192 Open shooters respectively). That is assuming she wants to follow in the footsteps of lady pros like Julie Golob, Jessie Duff, and Randy Rogers who are world action shooting champs. I can put you in touch with him myself since he taught me most of what I learned to get into action shooting. Heck I could evaluate her myself since I know a good many of the up and coming junior shooters after competing in the Ruger and NSSF World Championships the last 5 years. I have squaded with many of them including Allie Barrett who I watched go from not as good as me to better than me over those 5 years (NSSF Ladies World Champ 2013).
    If she likes shooting steel she likely will get bored with shooting paper (we all have). Steel shooting requires individual instruction mostly. There are junior camps for action shooting also. I could let her shoot some of my pro level rimfire rifles and pistols at MPC in Frederick. From that I could give her some non-shooting activities and physical things to do that would positively impact her shooting.
    PM me a message if this has an interest for you and your kids.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I know it well. I use to load trapp there in the late 70's. I use to ride my bike there as a kid when I couldn't find a ride. As a matter of fact my mother still lives couple miles away. Can here the shots from her house. Took my oldest daughtier there for her hunter safety course. Might have to stop in. Are there range regs post on the website? I e been lucky enough to have farms to shoot on so I've never been to a range other then the for mentioned.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/rangerules.htm#rules

Monumental's juniors program is a great program.

There is an Appleseed coming up at the AGC in December also!

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    that's the million dollar question...she could be the best shooter in the world but if she doesn't like or want to do that...its not going to be fun.

I know she enjoys shooting, she has never said no to a day of shooting but whether she wants to make it a full time sport we will have to figure out.

I would suggest you get her evaluated by Robby Orent. He can be reached thru the Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick. Not only was he a long time junior shooter tutored by pro Todd Jarrett but he was a coach who helped the US Junior Shooting Team to a win in the ICORE world championship (revolver). He was an early coach for Rosalie Hoyle who won the MD Ladies USPSA Championship in 2014 at the age of 17 shooting in the Production division (And her dad Peter is her main coach). She was also 42nd, 29th and 25th overall in the Open division the last 3 years in the PSA Shootout (first Lady twice and first Junior once out of 169, 193, and 192 Open shooters respectively). That is assuming she wants to follow in the footsteps of lady pros like Julie Golob, Jessie Duff, and Randy Rogers who are world action shooting champs. I can put you in touch with him myself since he taught me most of what I learned to get into action shooting. Heck I could evaluate her myself since I know a good many of the up and coming junior shooters after competing in the Ruger and NSSF World Championships the last 5 years. I have squaded with many of them including Allie Barrett who I watched go from not as good as me to better than me over those 5 years (NSSF Ladies World Champ 2013).
    If she likes shooting steel she likely will get bored with shooting paper (we all have). Steel shooting requires individual instruction mostly. There are junior camps for action shooting also. I could let her shoot some of my pro level rimfire rifles and pistols at MPC in Frederick. From that I could give her some non-shooting activities and physical things to do that would positively impact her shooting.

I might take you up on some of this after I discuss this with her. I think I will take her to a shoot to observe so she can see what is involved.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    There is an informal bullseye pistol league at the AGC every Tuesday night at 6pm. We shoot at turning targets at 25 yards. Go to that and we will be glad to get her down to shoot 1" groups at 25 yards. I started there, went on to shoot in competitive bullseye, shot on the state team, competed in local, state, and national matches and got distinguished. There is another girl that often shoots the league that is about 16 and maybe she would come out more often with her grandfather who shoots the pistol league if she had more girls to shoot with...she also shoots with Monumental juniors for air rifle so that suggestion is also a good one.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have found that women/girls are better handgun shooters than men when they start shooting. Maybe it's because they will listen to direction without the macho nonsense associated with teaching men/boys to shoot. Or... they just happen to be better at it. They usually have a slower heartbeat, they tend to be more steady. The only issue I've ever had are small women/girls may not have the arm/wrist strength, but if they work with it, they can become very good. My wife goes out shooting no more than 4-5 times a year and she can put the eye out of a knat with my 686 revolver. She's a natural with it.

If she's interested, invest in her. There are many Olympic female shooters. Why not your daughter? If not, she will pick up a hobby that could save her life one day.

Good Luck!

justeric

Apr 6, 2010

Does Robby Orent provide training for middle age men shooters? It sure sounds like he is providing the type training I am looking for.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Does Robby Orent provide training for middle age men shooters? It sure sounds like he is providing the type training I am looking for.
    I could ask him but I don't know.
    My buddy Mike and I are considering holding a class in speed steel competition shooting with the emphasis on rimfire, for both equipment and techniques because it looks like we will be taking over the MD positions of MPC's Rimfire Falling Steel match. This would be for juniors and adults who want to compete in either NSSF Rimfire Challenge or Steel Challenge (or both as there are sponsored shooters that do both). It would include match directed safety training, equipment options and maintenance, physical conditioning and drills, daily training drills, proper practice techniques, mental preparation both before, during, and after matches, and actual competition. There are some really good junior action shooting camps that require the student to have shot a scheduled USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and Steel Challenge event (some require as many as 4 as a prerequisite) so that they know the student has already learned proper safety techniques. Likely will be spread over a few weekends if it gets serious enough. Peacemaker NTC in WV has an action shooting class at least once per years that covers IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, and Steel Challenge. Probably won't start this till the spring even though MPC runs its steel matches 12 months of the year.
    Once we get closer to having it I will post info on it. Might be able to get a sponsored guest instructor if we charge something for it. Mike and I have a hard time finding good rimfire speed competition in the local area. We find we have to go out of the area to find people who can beat us consistently. So we do it to get around people we can learn from, same as any other sport.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'll be watching for this

I could ask him but I don't know.
    My buddy Mike and I are considering holding a class in speed steel competition shooting with the emphasis on rimfire, for both equipment and techniques because it looks like we will be taking over the MD positions of MPC's Rimfire Falling Steel match. This would be for juniors and adults who want to compete in either NSSF Rimfire Challenge or Steel Challenge (or both as there are sponsored shooters that do both). It would include match directed safety training, equipment options and maintenance, physical conditioning and drills, daily training drills, proper practice techniques, mental preparation both before, during, and after matches, and actual competition. There are some really good junior action shooting camps that require the student to have shot a scheduled USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and Steel Challenge event (some require as many as 4 as a prerequisite) so that they know the student has already learned proper safety techniques. Likely will be spread over a few weekends if it gets serious enough. Peacemaker NTC in WV has an action shooting class at least once per years that covers IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, and Steel Challenge. Probably won't start this till the spring even though MPC runs its steel matches 12 months of the year.
    Once we get closer to having it I will post info on it. Might be able to get a sponsored guest instructor if we charge something for it. Mike and I have a hard time finding good rimfire speed competition in the local area. We find we have to go out of the area to find people who can beat us consistently. So we do it to get around people we can learn from, same as any other sport.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Message to the OP. That is great your daughter enjoys shooting and beats Dad! I see a number of women and girl shooters at PNTC competing in action shooting sports. I suspect that action shooting sports are more attractive to young shooters than the traditional positional shooting sports. Maybe I’m off base but I think the traditional shooting competitions require you to stay in uncomfortable positions and shoot very slowly. Nothing sounds worse to me than putting a gung ho young shooter in an uncomfortable shooting vest and have them shoot slowly into little holes. It seems more geared towards the instructors than the young shooters IMHO. On the other hand, the action shooting sports are literally a blast! Not to mention the shooting style is much more transferable to real world defensive shooting.

I suggest you and your daughter head up to see Photoracer at Monocacy Pistol club and have him show you the ropes. When I started shooting I went to Monocacy Pistol club and Photoracer was always very accommodating to my newbie status. In fact he still is! Thumbs up to Photoracer.

I’m not sure what Monocacy Pistol club has to offer but PNTC has the following action competitions. USPSA (pistol), IDPA (pistol), 3 Gun (pistol, carbine, shotgun), 2 Gun (pistol, carbine), a new NRA competition (carbine), Super Steel (pistol), Steel Challenge (pistol), DMR (carbine at long range), Long Range Challenge (rifle), PRS (rifle). I’m sure there are more. Most competitions have you engage targets while moving and under a time limit. The competitions are low key since they are for fun matches. PNTC has some big national matches where money and prizes are concerned and those get serious from what I hear.

As you can see, I favor the action shooting sports but nothing is wrong with the traditional positional shooting sports. We are lucky to have so many options so close. I wish you and your daughter luck in finding what works best. And heck, any time spent with your daughter is time well spent.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I hear that the some Appleseed events have started to allow AR-15's and moved the targets out past 25 yards. Do you know if the December AGC Appleseed event will allow AR-15's and shoot out to 100 to 200 yards?

Thanks,
    Eric

The AGC Appleseeds allow centerfire and rimfire, everything is at 25 yards though.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Just so you know, NSSF and Steel Challenge allow rimfire rifles as a separate category in addition to pistols. Steel Challenge is allowing pistol caliber carbines to start competing also, although its optional for individual clubs to allow them.
    For me, as a kid, my dad took my brother and I to whatever military base shooting range he was stationed at every couple of months to shoot his Hi-Standard, P-38, and 1911. But he never pressed us to get serious about shooting except for hunting. I did not take up any competitive shooting till my late wife talked me into shooting the Wednesday night bullseye league at MPC in around 2002 because we had moved to about a mile away from their range. Even then I did not take it seriously until I analyzed my shooting and realized I was shooting higher scores the faster I shot, my rapid fire scores were better than my slow-fire and timed-fire relays (averaging 540-560s out of 600 using a stock S&W 22S and a used Millet red dot I bought at Atlantic Guns). So I converted to shooting their steel matches around 2006 a little at a time. Shot my first PSA Shootout and Steel Challenge match in 2009. Still, I find I can configure one of my Buckmarks for bullseye and go out and shoot 95-97 and 1-5x in the clubs yearly Jim Moore or Family Day match (one 10 round relay no retries) so those first few years of shooting bullseye at least got my accuracy level up to a level that helped with all the other shooting I have done. Its all good, it just depends on what you want to do and enjoy as to what really sticks with you. I wish I had taken it up at a younger age when I was healthier, but I doubt I would have given up those 2 decades of motorsports to shoot. And when I retired from that I looked around for something else to do that involved speed and shooting was it as I discovered.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Let me jump in here real quick - HI! I am Steve Thomas, the current USPSA Area 8 Director. Please feel free to email at - stevearea8@yahoo.com or steven.thomas@navy.mil

In short - we can get you started! Did you know I hold a USPSA Juniors camp every year? Its normally in July, outside Philly and for the last 2 years has been taught by Todd Jarrett.

We have a slew of folks that would be more then happy to show you the ropes. I would highly suggest you visit your local clubs (as mentioned above) especially if there is a match going on. You will be hard pressed to find a sport where folks are so willing to help. Hang around long enough and they will have you shooting before it is over! lol

If you are willing to travel a tad - I (or my wife....she shoots pretty good) would be more than happy to spend a few hours with you and your daughter.

Good luck! Please let me know!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom