• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olzkool

Feb 20, 2009
    Baltimore
    All the really good points Russ, Scar, and Apone and everybody else made are excellent but I think alot has to do with personal preference and a big thing is what the weapon will be used for. I went through the Eo or Trijicon debate myself for my last build and there are many threads on it. Washout just ain't cool. You can make em co witness but it ain't easy. Personnally I like my new XPS for close up, I dig the recticle for speed but my mid/mid long range weapon would only have an Aimpoint. Just MY preference. Shoot em all, everrybody here has something or another, if not all of them that you could probably check out. You will find one or two you like.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If I happen to approach a target and he is still breathing, the first thing I ask is "do you like my setup, it looks really cool don't it"

Nothing sucks more than being shot with an ugly gun.:mad54:
    aimpoint or eotech?

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
      IMG_0200.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 212

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    the newer Eotechs have the failure issues resolved. In fact, I saw a documentary of the USCG Hitron snipers using Eotechs on Barrett 50 rifles.

Hitting moving targets (outboard motors) at an angle, from a moving chopper is darn good shooting. These guys don't use Aimpoints.

Attachments

• MODERN_SNIPER_POSTER.jpg
      MODERN_SNIPER_POSTER.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 211

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    the newer Eotechs have the failure issues resolved. In fact, I saw a documentary of the USCG Hitron snipers using Eotechs on Barrett 50 rifles.

Hitting moving targets (outboard motors) at an angle, from a moving chopper is darn good shooting. These guys don't use Aimpoints.

Eotech said the same thing about the last upgrade and it still had problems, we'll see if this one does over time. I do like the eotech but it wouldn't be on my "go to" gun. Implying that the eotech being on a coast guard snipers weapon makes it good to go would not quite be the same as an aimpoint being issue kit to guys who's life depends on it..

That being said, the eotech is a great CQB optic imo, if they ever get the damn thing to be 100% reliable I will probably get one and put it on my back up gun. Until then I will own the aimpoint and spend the extra dollars.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Eotech said the same thing about the last upgrade and it still had problems, we'll see if this one does over time. I do like the eotech but it wouldn't be on my "go to" gun. Implying that the eotech being on a coast guard snipers weapon makes it good to go would not quite be the same as an aimpoint being issue kit to guys who's life depends on it..

That being said, the eotech is a great CQB optic imo, if they ever get the damn thing to be 100% reliable I will probably get one and put it on my back up gun. Until then I will own the aimpoint and spend the extra dollars.

The ARMY has been supplying troops with Eotechs. it is finding its way into issued kits.It is also being fielded for use in applications other than assault rifles. I was implying USCG as Eotechs are mounted on Barrett 50s and taking abuse that would render other electronic sights useless. I have not seen an Aimpoint mounted on a 50 or any heavy machinegun.

Technology evolves and things that may have flaws will eventually improve as long as the base idea is sound.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/news_ardec_pr.php

PS: Check out the photo gallery

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    BTW... Field of view is not really the correct term. But Viewing angle. Eotechs/Aimpoints/ any other red dot/ collimating sight has an optimum viewing angle. The wider the angle, the more flexibility in shooting positions. The Eotech has a huge advantage in this area compared to other sights.

As for the battery issue, It is part of my regular preventive maintenance procedure. I change batteries on my go to gun every 3 months. Similar to the oil changes in my vehicles.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I want to correct a couple of incorrect statements:

- the "Army" is not buying and issuing EOTech optics. Individual units and servicemembers have been buying them- big difference.
    - field of view issues are perception- Russ is right.
    - cant in an assault rifle with a RDO is not an issue.
    - eye alignment (whatever that means) is not an issue.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I'm still not convinced SCAR, we won't rehash the problems this optic has had in the reliability department as you already know about it. I wish you the best of luck when you can't get batteries, the aimpoint goes 80K hours without needing a new battery, nuff said about that. As I said, it is a great optic and I definitely wouldn't mind one on my back up but until it goes the distance for a few years without issue's I don't think it will be on a primary gun.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    BTW... Field of view is not really the correct term. But Viewing angle. Eotechs/Aimpoints/ any other red dot/ collimating sight has an optimum viewing angle. The wider the angle, the more flexibility in shooting positions. The Eotech has a huge advantage in this area compared to other sights.

As for the battery issue, It is part of my regular preventive maintenance procedure. I change batteries on my go to gun every 3 months. Similar to the oil changes in my vehicles.

Sorry SCAR, this statement is absurd. There is no connection between "viewing angle" (whatever that means) and shooting positions. Shooting position is dictated by the tactical situation.

If you like EOTechs that is fine, the problems start with all the justifications.

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    For what it's worth, I think I got blessed with a decent EOtech. I have the 512, I haven't shot with it for probably 6 months or longer (new kid arrived and with work and cold weather, I haven't been out to shoot much) anyway last night I decided to pull it out and give all the AR's a lube job and the EOtech lit up right away no issues, so I was extremely happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom