• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kazimir

Aug 6, 2013
    Note: This is in no way meant to bash Engage or Spikes, I am just trying to inform myself before an AR purchase. Please keep the thread clean.

I have had lots of trouble finding information on the quality/value in regards to Engage ARs. From what I could see in person, they appeared to be nicely machines, but with the price of their wall starting at 1700 and going well over 2k I would like some advice. I have been reading for a while that ST makes some of the best and being that they seem to be a larger manufacturer, I am not surprised at the amount of info I found. For ST, the general price range for non-SBR configurations is 1-2k. With that said, googling "engage ar" normally results in AR safety fails to engage or grips.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Spikes are awesome AR's. Not top tier precision rifles, but great quality rifle that won't break the bank.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Well we just began producing the rifles a few weeks so there isnt going to be a huge amount of info out there whereas Spikes has been making rifles for many years. Its simply a difference of parts.

The closest thing to our rifles in terms of rails and parts is their "Assassin" rifle which retails at $1925. They have a lightweight barrel, we have a HBAR made by either Lothar Walther or White Oak Armament (SPR w/ matched headspaced bolt). B5 Sytems vs Magpul CTR stock, Vltor tube vs Spikes tube, forged vs billett lowers, Geissele trigger vs Spikes, etc.

If you want something thats good but budget a baseline Spikes is fine. I would recommend a Colt though as a starting point.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    I would take Engage over spikes everyday. I think they are using better parts in their build, (barrel and trigger wise). Plus if you have any problem you can take it to a locally owned shop that will 100% stand behind their product. I have no doubt if you had a problem with your rifle Andy would bend over backwards to fix it and make it right.

Sc0tt556

Freedom...."Earn this"
    May 14, 2013
    MD
    I would take Engage over spikes everyday. I think they are using better parts in their build, (barrel and trigger wise). Plus if you have any problem you can take it to a locally owned shop that will 100% stand behind their product. I have no doubt if you had a problem with your rifle Andy would bend over backwards to fix it and make it right.

^^^^^ This!!! Great folks at EA especially Andy and AJ

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Welcome to MDS - please consider introducing yourself in the introduction subforum so we can get to know you better! :thumbsup:

------

I don't work at Engage, nor do I own one of their pre-built rifles, so I the information below is only from my limited understanding from what I've read on MDS. If anything I've written is inaccurate, please let me know so I can fix it!
    ------

All of the Engage Rifles are built with milspec parts; a lot of the parts are very good [individual] parts; some of the add-ons like a Geiselle Trigger are top-tier of what you can buy, these component parts make the rifle more expensive. A larger company like ST can also offer slightly lower prices because they buy in bulk/in-house manufacturing/etc. Engage assembles all of their rifles in-store from these bought parts, so you can be sure that there won't be any problems.

A huge draw for the Engage AR15s is that they are billet (as opposed to forged) which means that they have unique styling that is not common for AR15 lowers (majority are forged). This is one of the reasons I've purchased stripped uppers/lowers from them; it also slightly raises the price.

As Engage is a local business, you're going to pay a little more than for a far-off internet company/large business; the plus is that you can walk into the store if there's something you want changed. Andy and the staff at Engage have never failed to step up and make things right and do whatever they can to ensure you have the best possible service.

I personally have no problem paying a bit more for their great products and to support such awesome people - my wife and I have always had a great experience going to Engage.

I hoped this helped; no matter what choice you make, welcome again to MDS!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well we just began producing the rifles a few weeks so there isnt going to be a huge amount of info out there whereas Spikes has been making rifles for many years. Its simply a difference of parts.

The closest thing to our rifles in terms of rails and parts is their "Assassin" rifle which retails at $1925. They have a lightweight barrel, we have a HBAR made by either Lothar Walther or White Oak Armament (SPR w/ matched headspaced bolt). B5 Sytems vs Magpul CTR stock, Vltor tube vs Spikes tube, forged vs billett lowers, Geissele trigger vs Spikes, etc.

If you want something thats good but budget a baseline Spikes is fine. I would recommend a Colt though as a starting point.

What is this? That response was to the point and not full if B.S.

How dare you? ;):D

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you read the Engage post and google the names of the parts manufacturers you will find they are all top tier components. As far as a comparison, they really aren't in the same class. Add to this the honest recommendation to buy Colt for entry level shows what type of dealer Engage is...First Class.
    If I were buying my only AR as a Marylander I would go the Engage Route, superior product from one of our Best firearms dealers that deserve our support.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Note: This is in no way meant to bash Engage or Spikes, I am just trying to inform myself before an AR purchase. Please keep the thread clean.

I have had lots of trouble finding information on the quality/value in regards to Engage ARs. From what I could see in person, they appeared to be nicely machines, but with the price of their wall starting at 1700 and going well over 2k I would like some advice. I have been reading for a while that ST makes some of the best and being that they seem to be a larger manufacturer, I am not surprised at the amount of info I found. For ST, the general price range for non-SBR configurations is 1-2k. With that said, googling "engage ar" normally results in AR safety fails to engage or grips.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I will add another point of view in only two words "CUSTOMER SERVICE".

I have purchased products from Spikes and Engage Armament. One of them will never get another cent of my money and it's not Engage Armament.

You can read about my experience with Spikes and their complete lack of service. Their excuse, "they were busy".

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=94136&highlight=SBR+Build

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    Clearly the most important thing about the Engage rifles ( besides the uber badassery) is the fact that they don't have double dongs on them :D

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Even though Engage answered the question, I would like to add that these rifle are pretty much custom built to the shooter. ST guns are simply production guns that don't have alot of end user input. Plus the rifles are being built with alot of high end, expensive parts which should be taken into account. So in theory all the swag that you would put on your ST is already on the E4-3G rifle.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Get an Engage rifle because
    1) Those guys fought for your right to own one
    2) They do great work
    3) Where else can you call the owner w/questions?
    4) It's a locally grown AR that is gluten-free and humanely raised

Disclaimer-I have three EA lowers

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Right off the bat the Engage rifles have a billet upper and lower. Spikes doesn't even make billet. The cost of billet verse forged is about $300 right there. Billet is considered higher end.

This same concept rolls all throughout their rifle (engage's), each part on their rifles are a step up on a spikes. I don't have the part list, but if you did a side by side, you will see why they cost $1700. Plus its cash and carry HBar.

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    Support a local company.. End of story. (Money staying in the state vs. Leaving it..)

On a side note: You will be hard pressed to find another company that is willing to: stand behind their product like Engage will, answer any and all questions you might have, have RedBull on hand when you purchase products in house.. End of Thread. :)

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I can speak directly to the very high quality of the work EA does. Depends on your budget and needs but I took to the buy once cry once theory and would never hesitate to buy from EA again. They support our community immensely and I plan on supporting them as much as I can.

Best of luck to you in your decision OP :)

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a deposit in on an EA lower. Ill probably sell one of my unfired Spikes ARs just to help fund a complete build from Engage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom