• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArkFortyCal

Nov 27, 2009
    Engage Armament – Kensington, MD

I wanted to give a tip of the hat to Engage Armament in Kensington. They really impressed me recently and I wanted to share my experience with other potential shoppers.

When I first starting visiting Engage’s shop I received good service but if you weren’t dealing with the owner you had to keep them focused and let them know you were seriously looking to buy something.

I guess they have turned over some associates and the new crew is earning their pay. Starting with Andy who I had never met in person (had only spoke with on the phone), took the time to call me when the store received in a rifle he knew I would like. I am far from being a good customer of theirs and really only started shopping there when they starting carrying LWRC so I was very impressed with this. Andy is a sharp guy and knows more about English gun law history then myself and I spend time there every year (or he’s a good BS’er). Either way I got a gun I wanted so for that I am thankful.

When I made it into the store a couple of days later to fill out the paperwork I started having a side conversation with the other gentleman working the counter (sorry but I forgot his name). I happen to mention to this guy I needed to replace my holster and had some specific requirements none of which they stocked in the store. After turning my attention elsewhere for a few minutes he calls me back to his PC and he had been scouring Google to find the exact holster that met all my needs along with the attachments I would need to mount it. I was taken aback a little because normally if a shop doesn’t have it or can’t order it the conversation is over, no shop has ever done the research for me.

In summary I’ve got nothing bad to say of the folks in Atlantic Rockville as they have been good to me but I believe I’ll starting purchasing more from Engage.

Thx…………ArkFortyCal.

beenaround

Apr 2, 2009
    Ive been in there a few times. The first time I went in the owner talked to me for a little bit and seemed to be a real nice guy. I have a friend who says he is good friends with him and keeps telling me to go in and say he (my friend) sent me. He said I should get better service that way.

The other guys in there were not too friendly- cracked unfriendly jokes and then ignored me. I'll stop back in there and see if the changes they made are for the better. It would be nice to have another shop in the area to work with.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for posting. We have a great many changes and postive things coming down the pike so I'll try to keep everyone posted. A hobby of mine is foreign firearm laws so I do keep up on the UK. Im glad we were able to help you out and thank you very much for your business.

- Andy -

tover26

EricinMaryland
    Jul 6, 2009
    MO County
    I've bought allmost exclusively from Engage. I've never had a bad experience. You guys are too sensitive. It's a gun shop, not an ice cream parlor.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've used Engage for transfers, repairs, etc and always found them helpful and willing to go the extra mile.

Thaimonkee

Jun 2, 2010
    Bethesda
    I bought my AR there for a great price. Also got the wife her G26 there. Really nice guys who are willing to answer any questions I had.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive been there and bought from them (EAA Witness 10mm), the service was good. I agree the staff was a little all over the place but they also had alot of customers to deal with and I never felt that I wasnt responded to once I zoomed in on what I wanted to look at. That is as much a customers responsibility as staff, to be clear, concise and focus on what you want to look at and what you need to know.

Probably will do business again someday.

Porsche

Around...
    Jul 7, 2010
    In my experience engage hasnt exactly been bad but they have pretty steep prices on things and are a little bit entitled and snobbish.
    Atlantic in rockville however has recently earned tons of points in my book and I go there exclusively and refer everyone I know there. I went to engage to have my KA RIS rail checked out because it was sitting slightly off of being straight. Long story short they told me that they would have to charge me $75 to take it up on the bench and take it apart to look at it and then diagnose the problem and potentially fix it. I said forget that!
    I took the same gun to atlantic in rockville and the guys literally took the gun out of my hand and took apart the rail and started to fiddle with it and after that didnt work actually dissasembled and realigned my barrel and the upper receiver because it was installed about 2 degrees out of alignment all for free. Keep in mind they probably were working on it for 20-25 minutes getting everythign just right and this is for FREE
    Atlantic SS is a totally different store and i personally dont like it.
    However if you want tax stamp toys engage is the place to go

Thaimonkee

Jun 2, 2010
    Bethesda
    I walked into Atlantic about 5 years back and none of hte people who worked there acknowledged me. No one was willing to help. havent been back there since.
    I go to Engage every now and then. Service is great. No complaints.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    In my experience engage hasnt exactly been bad but they have pretty steep prices on things and are a little bit entitled and snobbish.
    Atlantic in rockville however has recently earned tons of points in my book and I go there exclusively and refer everyone I know there. I went to engage to have my KA RIS rail checked out because it was sitting slightly off of being straight. Long story short they told me that they would have to charge me $75 to take it up on the bench and take it apart to look at it and then diagnose the problem and potentially fix it. I said forget that!
    I took the same gun to atlantic in rockville and the guys literally took the gun out of my hand and took apart the rail and started to fiddle with it and after that didnt work actually dissasembled and realigned my barrel and the upper receiver because it was installed about 2 degrees out of alignment all for free. Keep in mind they probably were working on it for 20-25 minutes getting everythign just right and this is for FREE

Sorry you had a negative experience here, sir. We do our best to make our customers happy and I apologize for anything negative that may have taken place as thats my responsibility. The best I can do is implore you to give us another shot as a dissatisfied customer is not something I am comfortable having and we'll do our best to make it up to you. Thanks

-Andy-

SciereVeritas

Jan 27, 2010
    +1 for Engage.

Went in there the other day in search of a 1911. Although I did not walk out with one, I was acknowledged upon my first step in the door and their prices have most certainly been lowered. The fat "trimming" has been a huge plus for Engage. Ted, Andy, and the other guy (forgot name) were great hosts, salesmen, and just down to talk about guns regardless of if you are buying or just looking around. NOW FIND ME A 1911!!!! ha.

Porsche

Around...
    Jul 7, 2010
    Sorry you had a negative experience here, sir. We do our best to make our customers happy and I apologize for anything negative that may have taken place as thats my responsibility. The best I can do is implore you to give us another shot as a dissatisfied customer is not something I am comfortable having and we'll do our best to make it up to you. Thanks

-Andy-

Andy,
    I appreciate you stepping out and saying something as to me, that goes a long way in my book. In general you all have been very helpful, its just that i was very put off on the fact that after about 3 people looked at the rifle it was pretty much decided that the only way anyone there would even try to take care of it was if i was willing to shell out $75. I dont want to tell you how to run your business but i ended up spending about $150 at atlantic on rail guards and BUIS after they fixed my misaligned rail.
    Jahan

11Bravo

NRA Lifer
    Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona the land of the FREE

If Engage didnt sell you the firearm they have no responsibility to fix it for free, Gunsmiths cost money. Engage has to pay his employees. While I can see you being upset if he sold you a firearm that was out of spec and refused to fix it or swap it I dont see hot it is deemed his job to fix your gun for free. He is in business and has people to support, If he serviced everyones firearm without a fee the doors would close quicker than you can imagine. Just something to consider before you make snap judgments.:thumbsup:

wgpklaus

Nov 21, 2008
    If Engage didnt sell you the firearm they have no responsibility to fix it for free, Gunsmiths cost money. Engage has to pay his employees. While I can see you being upset if he sold you a firearm that was out of spec and refused to fix it or swap it I dont see hot it is deemed his job to fix your gun for free. He is in business and has people to support, If he serviced everyones firearm without a fee the doors would close quicker than you can imagine. Just something to consider before you make snap judgments.:thumbsup:

I'll chime in on this one. In business theres a thing called "Professional Courtesy" and yes, while it is Engages right to charge for smithing, sometimes you extend a professional courtesy to someone in hopes you'll earn their business. I do this in my line of work as do many others, that in my opinion is what sets businesses apart, the one(s) willing to go the extra mile to "earn" a client/customer.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I'll chime in on this one. In business theres a thing called "Professional Courtesy" and yes, while it is Engages right to charge for smithing, sometimes you extend a professional courtesy to someone in hopes you'll earn their business. I do this in my line of work as do many others, that in my opinion is what sets businesses apart, the one(s) willing to go the extra mile to "earn" a client/customer.

While I agree there should be some "professional courtesy" extended, I think it's situational. I personally expect to pay for anything I have done for me. If they do or don't want payment, either way is fine with me. But I greatly appreciate anything for free. :) Having said that, if I bought it from them, I'd expect a fix to be done at no charge.

In any case, I've been to E.A. and I've enjoyed my experiences there. They did me a favor and I plan on returning to make it up to them.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Oh how I wish I could find a gunshop that would sell items 30% below dealer cost, with free transfers, free gunsmithing, and would take returns on guns that have been sold and used. Oh how perfect that shop would be....and Unicorns that sprinkle diamond glitter out of their horns. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day a business is a business. If you don't like it don't go there. You can't make everyone happy, and if you tried your die tired.

Porsche

Around...
    Jul 7, 2010

The ar that i brought in to have looked at started out as a stripped lower receiver that I bought from them maybe 2 weeks earlier as well as several firearms from the previously, so no snap judgements here. And what a few have said about professional courtesy is absolutely true, I in fact I hadnt purchased anything from Atlantic prior to them helping me. And lets be honest here, it was a 20 minute fix. $75? thats $225 an hour. That is ridiculous. Had they even offered to look at it for free and diagnose it before charging I might have been slightly more inclined but they wanted to charge me before even telling me what was wrong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom