• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    In order to reinforce the message and the turnout yesterday send the committee an email today! If they get thousands of follow up emails today they will understand that yesterday was not a one and done event. Here is link that makes it very easy to do:

http://actionmail.ksconline.net/md-senators-all.html

Below is what I sent.

Dear Senators of the Maryland State Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee:
    I was one of the thousands of Marylanders that took time off from work and spent hours standing in line to sign up to testify and many more hours waiting to testify in opposition to SB0281. At the end of more than 12 hours of waiting I was able to only state my name and indicate my opposition. I understand the reason, your committee was simply overwhelmed by thousands of law-abiding citizens who were so concerned that you are considering a Bill that would remove or restrict their Civil Rights they were willing to sacrifice time from work and spend their time and money to tell you how they feel. Every corner of our State was represented; every race, every gender, every political party and every walk of life was there to let you know how they feel.
    By any measure the flood of voters who came to the hearing on February 6th was historic. Do not disregard the importance of this turnout of concerned voters. As was made perfectly clear yesterday SB0281 and the associated Bills will do nothing to improve gun violence in Maryland. Judging by the turnout the people you work for and are supposed to represent sent you a message that should be clear - kill SB0281 and the other overreaching related Bills. Ignore the thousands who turned out at your political peril.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Excellent email, thanks for posting.

Sent this one this morning.

Subject: Informed opinions

For those who may wish to have an informed opinion about firearms legislation --- the following Maryland Law Review article is among the very few that are required reading.

John Lott, Jr., What A Balancing Test Will Show For Right To Carry Laws, 71 MD Law Review 1205 (2012).

You may need to copy and paste the link into your browser to read the article.

http://www.law.umaryland.edu/academics/journals/mdlr/print/articles/71_4_1205.pdf

Regards
    Jack Cooper

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Sent a lengthy one this morning highlighting the fact that more people didn't get a chance to testify due to time limits set by a committee that seemed to have already made it's mind up before any testimonies were given and a senator playing chess on his laptop while they were being given. Hopefully those on our side will have i little more pull as a result but it seems doubtful.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I emailed not just the committee but every member of the Senate so those not a part of the committee would be reminded who they serve and not act like Frosh and Raskin.

I am in Senator Klausmeier's district and did receive an email from her this evening apologizing for not being allowed to testify.

Kathy's been in the Senate for 15 years and said she has never seen that many folks turn out for anything, ever.

I don't think the folks in Annapolis truly realize that you don't poke a sleeping bear.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the bones of a great message. I sent the following:

Honorable Senators: I was one of the thousands of law-abiding citizens that joined together to testify and demonstrate against SB 281, a poorly crafted piece of legislation that does little to solve the root causes of violence in our communities and only imposes excessive restrictions on our civil rights. By any measure, the tidal wave of voters who came to the hearing on February 6th was historic. Do not disregard the importance of this turnout of concerned voters. Please know that regardless of what Senator Miller says about any NRA robocall, I would have still been in Annapolis to express my firm opposition to this legislation. No one paid for my time off and parking costs. I was there to send you a clear message. If you want to "do something", put the money and work towards fixing the true issues....poverty, lack of education and employment opportunities, and STOP paroling criminals with firearm convictions who make up the vast majority of offenders. I am a registered Democrat, but this legislation has severely overreached any progressive purpose that I will support. Ignore me and the thousands who turned out at your own political peril.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    In order to reinforce the message and the turnout yesterday send the committee an email today! If they get thousands of follow up emails today they will understand that yesterday was not a one and done event. Here is link that makes it very easy to do:

http://actionmail.ksconline.net/md-senators-all.html

Below is what I sent.

I was one of the thousands of Marylanders that took time off from work and spent hours standing in line to sign up to testify and many more hours waiting to testify in opposition to SB0281. At the end of more than 12 hours of waiting I was able to only state my name and indicate my opposition. I understand the reason, your committee was simply overwhelmed by thousands of law-abiding citizens who were so concerned that you are considering a Bill that would remove or restrict their Civil Rights they were willing to sacrifice time from work and spend their time and money to tell you how they feel. Every corner of our State was represented; every race, every gender, every political party and every walk of life was there to let you know how they feel.
    By any measure the flood of voters who came to the hearing on February 6th was historic. Do not disregard the importance of this turnout of concerned voters. As was made perfectly clear yesterday SB0281 and the associated Bills will do nothing to improve gun violence in Maryland. Judging by the turnout the people you work for and are supposed to represent sent you a message that should be clear - kill SB0281 and the other overreaching related Bills. Ignore the thousands who turned out at your political peril.

For some reason every time I use this actionmail link it never seems to work because I never get any responses back from the legislators. The email link for AGC always seems to work for me.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I think I"m going to both email and call requesting to make an appointment with the members that MSI identified as being able on the fence.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I emailed all members of the ethics committee (minus Sen. Jacobs) to let them know how happy I was with Raskins disrespect of everyone not there as a proponent.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    I sent mine, made the point that I couldn't make it and for every one of you guys that did make it there has to be many more that didn't.

I unfortunately was not one of the thousands of people that came to Annapolis to testify against SB281. I could not leave work that day to join with so many that took off work and went through great effort to show up. I believe that for every one of them, there were many like me that couldn't show in person.

I did get to hear a good bit of the testimony on-line and I the testimony was clear and concise. I believe its fair to say that the following can be said without a doubt:
    - SB281 is a poorly written bill with holes, inconsistencies and other issues that should not be in any law
    - SB281 is most likely unconstitutional and is going to cost Maryland a large amount of money in the court systems
    - SB281 is ineffective at stopping gun violence, it just restricts law abiding citizens

Lastly, the experts on mental health that testified yesterday, had some incredibly interesting points on how to deal with the mental ill people in regard to firearms. I believe we should use their experience and craft a bill that could have a real impact on the safety of Maryland citizens.

Thank you for your time,
    -JIm McGonigle

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    Here is what I sent to every Senator. Dear Senator of MD,
    I was one of thousands of people at the Capitol yesterday to voice my opposition to SB281. I hope you took notice of all the different people that took their time and a day from their work to let you know that they are opposed to the misguided and poorly constructed bill that is SB281. MD already has some of the most stringent gun control laws in the United States. We do not need this bill to become a law in MD. Please consider that criminals do not obey laws and what is proposed will make criminals out of many otherwise peaceful, law abiding,and productive citizens. I had time yesterday to talk with many people who are opposed to this legislation. Both Democrats and Republicans were represented in large numbers. Please take heed that this bill crosses a line that if passed will be challenged in our courts. Please also remember that article 2 of our state constitution should be your consideration of any law that is passed in our great state.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Thanks for the link:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In my 62 years as a local resident, I have never been especially political. I have worked for political leaders at the National level for most of my professional career, but I was always satisfied to leave local politics in the hands of my elected representatives without a whole lot of second-guessing on my part. But now for the first time I'm really concerned about your willingness to represent the best interests of me and the majority of your constituents.

Gun ownership and use has been tedious in this State for some years now, but it never seemed worth the effort for me to engage politically. The farce in Annapolis this week has made me reassess that point of view. I hope you either participated in or paid attention to those hearings. And that you weren't playing computer games instead of listening as the people spoke from their hearts and expressed their collective will.

From here on out, I will be paying much closer attention to how willing you are to protect my Constitutional rights. As a lifelong registered Democrat, I want to believe that you are up to the challenge. Also that you are astute enough to realize that regardless of your personal feelings on this subject, you are tinkering here with fundamental human rights and should proceed with extreme caution.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I'm prepared to hold feet to fire on this issue and to devote considerable resources to reward the folks who understand and respect the Constitution or send the folks who don't off to other vocations. Please don't disappoint me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom