• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    What exactly is required of a target stand at Elk Neck? Would a pallet leaned up against some 2x4s be ok as long as the center is at least 4' off the ground?

Thanks,
    Chris

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    What exactly is required of a target stand at Elk Neck? Would a pallet leaned up against some 2x4s be ok as long as the center is at least 4' off the ground?

Thanks,
    Chris

Yes, that would be fine as long as the center of your target is at least 4' off the ground.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I've built two target stands, my first out of PVC, second out of wood. I prefer the wooden stands because they are already heavier (no need for sand), cheaper, and easier to repair. If you hit the wood on a target stand you end up with some small holes in it (usually), but if you hit PVC it can take a chunk out of it, or crack it and require a new section to repair it.

ETA: Actually, my PVC stand is similar to those above, where you are still just hitting wood if you hit the stand at all since only the base is PVC, but I still prefer the heavier wood base since you don't have to worry about the mess of sand. I have seen people try to make them entirely out of PVC and it never goes well.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Here's the one I use. Just pour sand in the base to make it more stable.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46131&d=1319476589
    You'll need to put end caps on the base.

This is the stand that I use. if you fill each end of the feet 3/4 with sand then seal off with Great Stuff (tm) it works great and no worries about getting sand on everything.
    Another option is to slip fit one of the end caps and fill the feet with dirt from the range, empty when done.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    This is the stand that I use. if you fill each end of the feet 3/4 with sand then seal off with Great Stuff (tm) it works great and no worries about getting sand on everything.
    Another option is to slip fit one of the end caps and fill the feet with dirt from the range, empty when done.

I like the idea of the slip fit cap! Keeps it light for transport.
    Thanks Dave. :)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When I shot at Elk Neck I had a stand that Im made from pvc, it worked Ok, unless the wind blew (even a little bit) and then my son decided that it was alot more fun to shoot the pvc than the targets:sad20:

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I built two like a.Wayne's for $33.00 and they work fine.I also made two with the 16" horizontal into vertical Tee's then cut a single sixteen" in half at a 45 deg. angle and glued the flat end into the bottom of the tees .You just step on the Vertical and drive the pointed ends down into the ground(works best in the wooded area's that are soft/leafy)The uprights go right in the top of the vertical T to make an ultra lite portable stand that is supper cheap!

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I make mine from two 2x4's and a 2x2 sheet of plywood frome home depot. costs a little under 9 dollars and takes about 20 mins to put together. fits on my hitch haul perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom