• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    They are machined to create a devastating wound cavity from their profile without expanding like a normal hollow point.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Makes me think of a drill bit.

Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 5.37.13 PM.png

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Anything that will exaggerate and or expedite significant hydrostatic shock is good in lethal munitions.

I figure the external hollow point isn’t a hyped design but instead a good alternative to the traditional HP round.

Of course I could be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first, last or only mistake I’ve made.

Was I still hunting regularly, I might offer some first hand data. Alas. No mas.

Hope y’all will settle for educated conjecture.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm thinking the design(and maybe the 'phillips screwdriver point' as well) causes the bullet to pitch and yaw inside the wound cavity resulting in a larger wound cavity with more energy dispersal within that wound cavity. I.e, more stopping power.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Are there any advantages over traditional HP or just a gimmick to sell?
    They call them the “Extreme Penetrator” bullet. They performed very well in the FBI ballistic gel depth tests apparently. It’s a solid copper bullet, and won’t “mushroom” like a typical hollow point so things like clothing and tissue won’t clog up the hollow point causing failure of expansion. No jacket separation either. Plus they’re nicknamed the “angry screwdriver” which is pretty cool.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    I’m using the Underwood Extreme Defense (not the Extreme Penetrator) in my pocket 380.
    I first learned about it here and then watched all the youtube tests and reviews I could find specifically for the 380. I don’t remember reading/watching anything negative about them except, maybe, some accuracy loss at longer distances. They always show them performing better than JHP 380s and they run well in my LCP 2.

My HD/SD 9mils are still loaded with V Crowns and HSTs.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The concept works like a shape-charge with explosives. The flutes create high pressure areas of constructive interference that create wounding essentially from these high-pressure jets radiating outward. It's NOT about hydrostatic shock, as that's not a proven wounding mechanism.

A traditional hollowpoint handgun round only damages what the front physically smashes in to. Star-shaped versions(like gold dots, DPXs, and HSTs) can expand wide and penetrate deep because the space between petals reduces drag(relative to old mushroom shaped bullets).

Tests have actually been somewhat positive for these, with Andrew from the chopping block and MAC both showing gel tests and tests on meat.

The extreme defenders seem like the best choice, since they limit overpenetration and create a bigger permanent wound cavity in tests.

Interesting properties of these are that they're pretty flat shooting(lightweight means higher velocity) and largely barrier blind(because they're not dependent on a hollowpoint that may get clogged or crushed through barriers)

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Just spit-balling here but to me that ammo MIGHT have a higher tendency to not feed properly on a particular feed ramp. I would need to fire 500 flawless rounds before I bet my life on it.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I use Underwood extreme defense, for both my .380 and 9mm.’s My 9mm choice is a +P 68gr, moving at around 1,800fps, out of a pistol length barrel. A YouTube contributor I watch, got 2,600fps, out of a 16” PCC! Those fluted rounds leave a massive permanent wound channel. Tests have shown twice the size of a good hollow point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom