• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    To get started, almost any bolt action, magazine fed repeater or semi-auto 22LR rifle will work. (For example: I campaign with a Ruger 10/22 that was built many years before PRS matches, and a Remington 541 that is decades old - expensive specialized rifles like RimX/Vudoo etc. are NOT required, although used by many top level shooters.) Use of a First Focal Plane FFP scope is pretty much required. Scope power should be variable from about 5X to about 25X, with elevation adjustments using turning turrets. There are many makes and models currently on the market with a wide pricing range. A good amount of MOA range may be required (possible a +MOA scope rail) for matches with longer distances, but again, this can be achieved by shimming an existing picatinny rail at almost no cost. The rifle equipped with a picatinny rail or arca rail under the stock to be able to attach/detach a bipod is preferable, but a more permanently mounted bipod will work in most cometition stages. A separate or attachable sandbag will also be required (but if you re a newbie, experienced shooters are generally happy to lend these out).

As you will be shooting targets at multiple distances from ~25 to past 300 yards what is also required is your rifles "dope" - that it be sighted in (almost everyone sights-in at 50 yards) and ballistics data developed for your rifle. This is usually acquired by shooting at a few different distances (i.e. 50/100/150 yards) and entering the scope data into a ballistics calculator or program (Strelok Pro is common but not required). Muzzle velocity data is also useful in this regard. The precision of any given rimfire rifle is highly dependent on ammo selection, so figuring out what ammo works best in your rifle may be critical as well. Typically, cheap bulk ammo will simply not work, nor hyper velocity rounds. SK Rifle Match, SK Long Range Match, Eley Match, and Lapua Center-X are very commonly used, but many also use lower priced CCI SV as well.

What is most important for a newbie to know is that at most matches (especially Salibury MD, Bridgeville DE and Quinton NJ) there will be a LOT of help available and given by experienced shooters. And coming out to a match to just to see whazzup and to talk with shooters is also recommended before any investment is made. We just love to talk about this stuff.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    What kind of gun ammo and scope combo would be considered competitive in this game?

KRC and ESMDHokie77 gave a lot of good advice. If starting, I would go with either a Tikka T1x or a cz 457 if doing bolt. If going semi auto, either a kidd super grade or a 10/22 that shoots well.

Before buying anything, ask the match director if they have any rifles that they can loan you for the match to try it. If I am at the match, I will have a spare rifle in my car this year and I am willing to let anyone use it to try out the sport.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Swaim13 is a great example of the guys you will meet at matches in the precision rifle game. You will have people who will loan you kit to try, give you help with stage planning, or even offer you an entire rig to shoot the match with.

It's a very welcoming sport.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Saw there was a 450+ yd target at this .22 match - but what's the average distance for most stages?

For most PRS/MARS style matches, you will see 2+ moa target sizes. Typically you will see 3 moa between 100 to 180 ish yards. After that, targets typically get bigger to account for the ammo not being quite as consistent as centerfire ammo. The only time you will really see a 1 moa target size is prone at 50 yards on a KYL rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom