• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Just got an email from freedom armory. They are now doing duracoat. Does anybody know about how much money it is to duracoat a 92fs or an 870? I need it done and they are the closest to me. Also, how good is the finish when the duracoat is complete? Do I still oil and clean the gun as I do now? Can I still use the copper wire brush on the inside of the slide/ trigger assembly? Is one kind of duracoat better to use than another?

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Copy of email I got.

WEEKEND SPECIALS! JUNE 12TH AND JUNE 13TH
    REVOLVER MANIA!
    ALL NEW AND USED S&W REVOLVERS-$50 OFF
    ALL NEW AND USED TAURUS REVOLVERS-$50 OFF
    NOTE:* DOES NOT INCLUDE CONSIGNMENT GUNS.* IN STOCK MERCHANDISE ONLY
    AMMUNITION 9MM OR .40S&W BY THE CASE OR BOX
    PMC 9MM 115GR FMJ $220/CASE OF 1000 RDS OR $11.50/BOX
    PMC .40S&W 165GR*OR 180GR FMJ $320/CASE OF 1000 RDS OR $17.00/BOX
    CASE QUANTITY .380AUTO FMJ AND .45ACP FMJ AVAILABLE
    OVERSTOCK SALE!
    (IN-STORE STOCK ONLY)
    S&W M&P 9
    * $499.95
    S&W M&P 9 COMPACT
    #206304/#209304
    ** $549.95
    S&W M&P 40
    ** $499.95
    S&W 1911, 5”, SS
    * $799.95
    SIG SAUER P232NS BLUE
    #232-380-BSS
    * $549.95
    RUGER SR9, SS
    * $399.95
    WALTHER P 22
    #WAP22003
    * $339.95
    SPRINGFIELD XDM9, BLK
    #XDM9201HCSP
    * $599.95
    BERETTA 3032 TOMCAT
    #J320104
    * $379.95
    ARMALITE AR10 CARBINE
    #10A4CB
    $1279.95
    SIG SAUER 556 CLASSIC W/RED DOT
    #SIG556301
    $1499.95
    MOSSBERG CRUISER PG 12 GA, 6 SHOT
    ***$319.95
    FATHERS DAY SPECIAL!
    BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!* 2 FOR 1 MACHINE GUN RENTAL WITH DAD!
    SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, JUNE 19TH AND 20TH
    DURACOAT FINISHING AVAILABLE!
    Tim, Freedom Armory's Gunsmith Extraordinare, has*completed*DuraCoat FinishesTraining.* Tim*is*accepting orders/items for refinishing.* DuraCoat finishes may be applied to wood, metal or plastic.* For further information related to DuraCoat finishes please see www.lauerweaponry.com*
    NSSF FIRST SHOTS PROGRAM FEATURED AT FREEDOM ARMORY!
    Shoot a Handgun, Rifle, or Shotgun for the

First time FREE!

Freedom Armory, in affiliation with the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), is offering on the fourth Saturday of each month, the opportunity to experience shooting a handgun, rifle or shotgun*FREE of charge!

FREEDOM ARMORY*MEMBERS,*if you have friends and family members who may have*expressed an interest in the shooting sports*but who never had the chance or the time to try shooting,*THIS IS THEIR OPPORTUNITY!* Please forward this information to them!

THIS PROGRAM IS SPECIFICALLY FOR NON-SHOOTERS TO EXPERIENCE*FIRING A GUN*FOR THE FIRST TIME!

The First Shots Program provides a brief introduction to shooting safety in a classroom setting, the firearm, eye and hearing protection, a small quantity of ammunition, a target and supervised indoor range time at Freedom Armory.***** All free of charge!

REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED so that an adequate number of firearms are available for each session.* The type of firearm featured each of the Saturdays will be directly related to registration requests and may vary.* ALL participants must be at least 18yr of age or at least 12yr of age with a parent present and MUST sign a Liability Release form prior to the session.* A valid picture ID, such as a Driver’s License or School ID for minors, will be required for registration on the day of the program.

UPCOMING DATES are Saturday, June 26th, July 24th, and August 28th at 10:00AM!

Please Call Freedom Armory at 717-227-9060 or email to training@freedomarmory.com* to reserve your space*for a specific date and type of firearm!

NRA TRAINING SCHEDULE ALSO AVAILABLE ON LINE*FOR JUNE AND JULY!

WWW.FREEDOMARMORY.COM *

the duracoat debate rages on. Its a spray and or bake on finish and is purported to be fairly durable. Probably very similar to Springfields armory coat or wilsons tuff coat or whatever. I just got 4 different colors in and jeepdriver and i are going to paint some of my stuff. Cerakote is also very popular and is supposed to be more durable ( i just got black, FDE and clear matte in). I did some googling before duracoat vs. cerakote. There is some info out there.

Clean and oil as you normally would.

wjt1169

I might know somebody in Mo. Co. who does Duracoat...

rightsharpangle01.jpg

socomleft01.jpg

after01.jpg

rightangle01.jpg

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    the duracoat debate rages on. Its a spray and or bake on finish and is purported to be fairly durable. Probably very similar to Springfields armory coat or wilsons tuff coat or whatever. I just got 4 different colors in and jeepdriver and i are going to paint some of my stuff. Cerakote is also very popular and is supposed to be more durable ( i just got black, FDE and clear matte in). I did some googling before duracoat vs. cerakote. There is some info out there.

Clean and oil as you normally would.

mind doing a detailed step by step picture write up?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Nice work. MoCo is too far of a drive for me. Is it expensive to have it done professionally?

You can also ship the gun yourself.

Unless you KNOW that the person doing the job is skilled and capable at tearing down a firearm and properly reassembling the gun don't use them.

I don't know "Tim, Freedom Armory's Gunsmith Extraordinare,", but is he any good? Would you trust the guy to repair either of the firearms you mentioned??

There are places that have years of experience applying the various finishes. Why jump at the nearest and newest vendor?

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Got off the phone with Tim. He wants $295 for my 870, regualar black , and $250 for my 92fs. Is that normal or outrageous? If Scotts does it, Ide rather give the business to him. I feel like freedom is trying to rip me off.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Got off the phone with Tim. He wants $295 for my 870, regualar black , and $250 for my 92fs. Is that normal or outrageous? If Scotts does it, Ide rather give the business to him. I feel like freedom is trying to rip me off.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/index.html

Check with member "MauiWowie", he had two guns done by this firm.

I don't know what Scott's charges for refinishing.

Yes, it gives folks a warm feeling dealing with someone local, but unless you know the skill and quality of work, WHY? (not meaning Scott's with this rant)

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I've heard nothing but great things about scotts. Freedom just started doing this. I feel like I would have peace of mind having Scotts do it. Just gotta figure if he does it or not.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD

I would say yes, it is high but not outrageous. If you are going the Duracoat route, it is a good idea to go and see some samples of the finisher's work. I do my own Duracoating, and although it is fairly easy to apply, good prep work makes a good finish.

You will find prices online for a single coat covering to be in the $100 to $150 range for a long gun, and $75 to $150 for a handgun. The caveat is that you will ship your gun and ship it back, so that adds some to the cost.

One reason that pricing can vary is that small quantities or uncommon colors are more expensive--mostly because the common colors are usually bought in bulk. Also keep in mind that if you want to do a silver, stainless, or other similar finish, it will require a top coat, which obviously increases the cost. Finishers that finish a lot of guns can skip Lauer and go right to Sherwin Williams commercial to buy in bulk (1 gallon and up.) The material is actually known as Polane T and the closes comemercial distributor around here is in Harrisburg. They will mix whatever colors you want.

Some sample pricing:

http://www.lhpfirearms.com/finish06.htm
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168856240 (expired auction but he is in Lancaster)

By the way, Lauer lists two certified finishers in Maryland and one of them looks to have posted up already!

Maryland
    TNT Enterprises of Maryland
    www.tntenterprisesofmaryland.com
    Certified DuraCoat Finisher
    4580-C Mack Ave.
    Frederick, MD 21703
    Andrew W. Losiewicz
    240-529-3180
    Email: alosiewicz@tntenterprisesofmaryland.com

Triple Bravo
    www.triplebravo.com
    Certified DuraCoat Finisher