• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Is there any reason to choose one over the other for training/dry fire purposes?
    Pros/cons of each?
    Any suggestions for interesting/challenging drills that they can be used for?

Thanks...

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    In today's world I don't know why you wouldn't use snap caps for all training.

When I took my first handgun training class, maybe around 1980 or so, they has dummy rounds, which were real cases, with a hole near the base and a real bullet to show different cartridges to us. Since there was no powder, nor primer, they were safe if one got in with a real gun.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    In today's world I don't know why you wouldn't use snap caps for all training.

When I took my first handgun training class, maybe around 1980 or so, they has dummy rounds, which were real cases, with a hole near the base and a real bullet to show different cartridges to us. Since there was no powder, nor primer, they were safe if one got in with a real gun.

For striker fired pistols, the firing pin should hit something. For that reason, I prefer snap caps.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Thanks guys. I prolly should have said this was for my AR though. Does it matter?

i use the Red see-thru plastic ones with the brass heads. "Traditions" I think they're called. I have four of them in .223 and they are all beat to hell because I've use them so much, both for instructing other people new to rifles and for personal training around the house.

I also have a bunch of the dark red aluminum ones, "A-Zoom" they're called, and the cheap orange ones, in about 20 differnt calibers. Every time I see a caliber I don't have I buy em. They're great. Especially the Traditions and A-Zooms. Get em.

Last edited:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    aren't GLOCKs striker-fired? and don't you have to dryfire to take down?

Yes, and for the rare times that you are taking the gun apart, one trigger pull in not a big deal. Its the multiple pulls on an empty chamber (i.e. dry fire practice) that are an issue (from what I understand from the Glock fellas)

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I currently use the A-Zoom snap caps for dry fire practice and FTF drills, but I was thinking of purchasing some of the orange plastic dummies for the FTF drills. They are easier to see on the ground and if they get beat up, they are cheap to replace. If the A-Zooms are more expensive and if they get nicked up when they hit the concrete, they can get burs that are probably not so nice for the magazine.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    They're also good for holster-draw exercises (you can practice drawing from cocked-and-locked without risk of an ND) and spotting any weirdnesses in how you shoot. A flinch becomes immediately apparent if you have a buddy load a snap cap or two in your magazines with live ammo.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    aren't GLOCKs striker-fired? and don't you have to dryfire to take down?

Yes, and for the rare times that you are taking the gun apart, one trigger pull in not a big deal. Its the multiple pulls on an empty chamber (i.e. dry fire practice) that are an issue (from what I understand from the Glock fellas)

Correct, this is the reult of excesive dry firing in a glock with no snap caps:

breechface2.jpg

BREECHFAIL2.jpg

BREACHFAIL.jpg

BREACHFAIL3.jpg

BREACHFAILURE.jpg

breech2.jpg

breechface1.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, any issues with dry firing a S&W M&P?
    I have never seen one with that kind of damage but I would be safe and not dry fire it to be safe.

Good news is M&P's have lifetime warranties so if it breaks they will fix it for free. :)

Is there any fixing that after the damage has been done? Just wondering

I could weld it up and remachine it, but Glock would likely replace it for cheaper than a good reweld would cost.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I'm a big fan of bright colored snap caps like the A-zoom. I recently completed a course that used these http://materials.nrahq.org/go/product.aspx?productid=LE Dummy and were pretty cool.

If we're doing slow fire (Bullseye) work I'll occasionally throw one in a magazine to closely watch the shooter's trigger pull and follow through. For tactical stuff, I do the same but I'll take a handful and drop them into about 100 rounds. I'll watch TV and load magazines without looking at them. Whenever it goes 'click' instead of 'bang', I tap, rack, ready and continue until I get the requisite number of hits in the target.

The cheap plastic orange ones I don't really like because they get chewed up by the extractor after a chambering or two.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Snap caps are the way to go just for checking the ejector mechanics after an overhaul or those pesky 'off-brand' mags that don't always want to feed properly.

A definite must have bench tool.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You can make dummy rounds by seating a bullet in a dry casing and inserting an eraser in the primer area.

How long do you thing that eraser will last? The firing pin is getting propelled with enough energy to dent a metal primer, don't you think it will quickly bash the eraser material to bits and then you have an abrasive inside your gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom