• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    I have been drafting a letter to our legislators. I am submitting it here for comment. You have my permission to use it as your own letter, and to make any modifications that you would like to make. Distribute it freely; I would like to see it uses by as many people as possible, and I would like to see it sent to as many legislators as possible. Comments welcome. Here's the letter:

Dear <Legislator>,

I am writing to you to earnestly implore you to help me, and all of your other constituents, in these gravely troubling times. Legislators are decimating individual rights, and they are doing it arrogantly and before our watching eyes. I need to know that we can count on you to stand up to the legislators that do not hold each and every individual equally as the most important part of our society. I need to know that we can count on you to put agenda- and power-driven politicians in their place and remind them of their sworn duty: to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America.

The American ideal that I hold in the highest regard is the sovereignty of the individual. Surely, this is one of the major reasons why you began to pursue politics. Our founding fathers brilliantly put a system into place that puts all rights and power into the hands of the individuals, except where we surrender a few specifically enumerated items to the government to oversee.

As you are quite aware, the specific powers allotted to the federal government are enumerated in the Constitution. Anything that is not authorized is not within the scope or power of the government. These matters are left in the hands of the states and in the hands of the people. If something is expressly forbidden by the Constitution to the states, then the power remains exclusively in the hands of the people. The Constitution does not authorize the federal government to regulate firearms. Furthermore, the second amendment to the Constitution further forbids the states to regulate firearms in the phrase, "shall not be infringed". Since any limitation of the right constitutes infringement, any legislation is unconstitutional in nature. As you know, whether or not we still have militias is quite moot; if the Constitution does not authorize a government-controlled limit on our natural right of self defense, the government may not limit it by the regulation or banning of firearms. The federalists and the anti-federalists believed that the second amendment was necessary to provide greater caution against the government encroaching on this essential right. Clearly, it is not negotiable.

Legislators like Cuomo and Feinstein have taken the same oath that you have pledged. All of our legislators have sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. Since their actions are clearly in violation of the Constitution, their push for unlawful legislation should be viewed as treasonous. I need to know that you will do your best to stand up to these oligarchical bullies, and defend the freedom of the individual. I need to know that you will remind them that they are governing by the consent of the people, and that the government is not a ruling class. I need to know that you will admonish them for pushing their own agendas, rather than serving the people that entrust them with the power to govern.

As a distinguished and well-educated legislator, I am sure that you share my exasperation with gun control. Clearly, it does not have the intended result. If gun control were effective, then the cities with the strictest gun laws would be the safest cities in our nation. Baltimore, DC, and Chicago would be touted as the ideal safe havens of the union. Also, you have surely noticed that the recent horrible atrocities were committed in gun-free zones. Unfortunately, criminals do not obey gun control laws, and they seem to operate most efficiently where they are met with minimal opposition. Obviously, disarming law-abiding citizens will allow murderous criminals to have free reign, and the atrocities will only become worse. If the current laws do not eliminate or even reduce the per-capita gun deaths in our cities, then further restricting law abiding citizens will make them easier prey to criminals. That is another disastrous and unintended consequence of gun control legislation. I know that you do not want to add insult to literal injury!

If you have, in the past, supported gun control, then let's simply wipe the slate clean. From now on, I request your support in defending our natural right of self defense, and your effort in warning other legislators of their treasonous intent to infringe on the Constitutionally-protected natural right.

Best Regards,
    <Your Name>

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    Perhaps it won't be read; perhaps it will be read. If enough people show they they understand these concepts, and the reasons why they hold our legislators responsible for their (in)actions, then we will be heard eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom