• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dr_baer

What is the down side of getting the MD C&R license? I've been putting this off because I do not want the state police (i.e., the government) to have my address on file as a collector of firearms. This is on my mind lately since there is a 30 day period between buying a (as in 1) controlled weapon at a time in MD. I can see what the up side is, but what is the down side to the C&R?
    Thanks!
    crewdog.gif

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    What is the down side of getting the MD C&R license? I've been putting this off because I do not want the state police (i.e., the government) to have my address on file as a collector of firearms. This is on my mind lately since there is a 30 day period between buying a (as in 1) controlled weapon at a time in MD. I can see what the up side is, but what is the down side to the C&R?
    Thanks!
    crewdog.gif

Only regulated firearms are subject to the 30-day wait.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    People kidd about spending too much etc. It does make buying arms too easy and the collection can get out of hand. That is why I let mine expire. Buying is easier then selling. Trying to downsize now.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    the C&R is a federal license, not MD.

If you've bought one regulated firearm in MD, ever, you might be prudent to assume they have your address. IMHO, a C&R adds a layer of legitimacy on top of being a law abiding citizen. I avoided getting my C&R for years for the same reasons you mention, but then decided the "protection" afforded by not having one was vastly outweighed by the benefits. Except in re my bank balance...

Last edited:

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks!
    crewdog.gif

I don't see any downside :thumbsup:

StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I think an important thing to try to do if you do get a license, is to "collect", not "accumulate". It's really easy to jump on all the good deals around, but its important to really consider something before you buy it. You may spend a lot on C&R guns, but you will save quite a bit of money, even if you buy as little as 2 or 3 guns. As long as you don't do any dealing like a business, the goverment is not going to bother you.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    A few yeas ago I had to drive into Canada. The border officer scanned my license and then the first question out of his mouth was were were my firearms?

Funny how he was not concerned about the stack of documents I had for the dog but where were my fire arms. He took his time and inspected everything I had in the RV.

This has led me to believe that the data the government has imbedded on my drivers license includes the fact that I am a gun owner.

So the government knows every time you buy a gun just from the paper work you fill out. Either NICS or MD regulated paper work.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I think they ask everybody that. They asked me that in the 80's

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    C&R has nothing to do with the state of Maryland. It's federal.

Maryland Collector Status has nothing to do with a C&R (03) FFL. It's state exemption from the one- regulated-gun-a-month rule.

Maryland does keep a database of your regulated purchases. The only way they would even know you have a federal collector's license is if the Chief LEO made a note of the copy of your application you mailed him.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I'll just say I am not the most perfect person in the world and I have never been bothered by anyone about my guns, regulated or not.
    I don't think it would matter if I had a C&R at all personally.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You are probably already on a list... So why not add to the number of lists you are on... The government already knows everything they want to know about you... and if they don't they have access to everything they want to know.

1. You have no privacy, any illusion of privacy is just that, an illusion.
    2. The government doesn't care if you have most arms, until they determine that you are a nuisance or a potential problem.
    3. If you really want to live "off the grid", good luck with that, it's not a very glamorous life.

Bottom line, we have nearly made government all powerful, all knowing, and to whom we must comply with. The government, like a parent, may allow you to get away with minor things... but will punish you when you violate the rules. This often occurs when the government feels you've stepped over the line, there are different lines for different people.

cwalker3

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    As an FFL holder, the BATF does have the right to inspect your collection as well as your bound book. They have to give you notice of this inspection and it is your choice as to whether to have it in your home or their office. I no longer have a 03 FFL but did have one from 2001-2007. I have also frequented several C & R forum boards over the years. That being said, I have only ever heard of a few holders being inspected and those inspections went off without a hitch. So I wouldn't sweat that aspect of it.

The big downside that you should consider is how damn addictive these guns are. Be prepared to keep a better watch on your bank and credit card accounts. But hell, you only live once, right?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    That's just a left-wing conspiracy theory.

Don't you mean right-wing conspiracy theory? Lefties don't tend to have C&Rs, and generally aren't concerned about the government keeping track of them or their guns. Or did I misunderstand the post?

Edit:
    The government already knows everything they want to know about you... and if they don't they have access to everything they want to know.

Isn't the information revolution a wonderful thing. :sarcasm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom