• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Yes. In a progressive type press, if you have an empty squib(no powder at all) it is likely you'll have a double charged cartridge. One usually follows the other and is usually(in my case) because there was a reason for me to stop and fix some form of malfunction in the process.

There are also weak powder charges due to different reasons that will not lead to a double charge like, you ran out of powder in the hopper, or some other thing cause the powder dump to not be adequate. Bugs, lint, foreign objects, bridging, all could cause in incomplete charge.

With me it is usually a primer misfeed.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    4g Tite Group(in this case, that would be 8g)

As soon as I got home, I tried to double load a cartridge(with a spent primer in it) and even though the case was nearly filled, it compressed right down when I seated the bullet.

I'm going to change my system a bit now. This was a first double load out of tens of thousands of rounds.

I did suffer a squib 300 Blk sub once with no harm done.
    This is the very reason why I am so reluctant to sell or give away from my possession any reloaded ammunition. Its not enough even after triple checking to make double sure that all of my loads are safe. What happens when you pass your reloaded stuff off to another is that it teaches the recipient that its ok to take reloads from another. Its bad practice to do it. I cannot guarantee quality assurance with the next guy.
    OP. I am glad that you are OK and that you didn't wind up with a worse injury than you did. I appreciate your courage to post this in an open forum for the betterment of the rest of us. Its easier to live your mistake down than lose a finger or a hand or even an eye and have to live with that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With me it is usually a primer misfeed.
    That has been my bane as well. So much so, that I've gone back to hand priming my rifle cartridges(.223). I'm going to do that with my pistol calibers also.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Glad you are ok. Scary stuff.

Thank you.
    This is the very reason why I am so reluctant to sell or give away from my possession any reloaded ammunition. Its not enough even after triple checking to make double sure that all of my loads are safe. What happens when you pass your reloaded stuff off to another is that it teaches the recipient that its ok to take reloads from another. Its bad practice to do it. I cannot guarantee quality assurance with the next guy.
    OP. I am glad that you are OK and that you didn't wind up with a worse injury than you did. I appreciate your courage to post this in an open forum for the betterment of the rest of us. Its easier to live your mistake down than lose a finger or a hand or even an eye and have to live with that.

Friends don't let friends shoot their reloads. That's what I have always been taught. No way could I live with myself if I put a friend through that.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    That has been my bane as well. So much so, that I've gone back to hand priming my rifle cartridges(.223). I'm going to do that with my pistol calibers also.
    this is what i do also , hand prime and then load .

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

The new 6 pack Lee press has a new priming system that is fairly accurate. The issues are usually me with inconsistent cranking. Once in awhile I'll get lazy and one will get crimped. Overall as long as I pay close attention it's reliable. The other Lee priming is garbage.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    this is what i do also , hand prime and then load .
    When I first began reloading, I actually had an RCBS hand primer blow up in my hand. I had a primer hang up on a .223 primer crimp. I backed off, not realizing the thing had picked up a second primer. As I tried forcing the stuck primer in, both detonated in my face.

I thought, maybe I should just quit this hobby and take up knitting or something, but you know, those knitting needles can be dangerous as too!

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    When I first began reloading, I actually had an RCBS hand primer blow up in my hand. I had a primer hang up on a .223 primer crimp. I backed off, not realizing the thing had picked up a second primer. As I tried forcing the stuck primer in, both detonated in my face.

I thought, maybe I should just quit this hobby and take up knitting or something, but you know, those knitting needles can be dangerous as too!
    lol , i know ! always pay attention when priming also !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom