• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    Thinking about doing a hike, late may or early June. Anyone ever hiked(camped) Dolly Sods in West by God Virginia? If so, what were your favorite trails or areas. right now im thinking 2 maybe 3 nights and would like to be near a river or stream. Any suggestions??? oh and will I need a backcountry camping permit? thanks

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    Great choice! I hiked parts of it while in college. That was a long time ago. I don't think a permit is needed. Campfires are permitted but not recommended. Look at the history and you will see fires were very devestating to the thick layers of humus in the area. This can make some areas very rugged. I can't remember specific areas to recommend. Get good maps and know bow to use them. Enjoy your time there. It is a fascinating place.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If you camp there overnight when the sky is clear, and there's no moon, prepare yourself for a religious experience.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    No permit needed. Check out the maps below:

http://www.wvhighlands.org/Maps/Dolly Sods North 24K Maps.pdf

Some of us here have walked every trail on that map and many of them several times over. There are many water crossings that you can work into a 2 or three day hike.
    As a rule of thumb we tried to have at least four liters of water on us every morning before we set out for the day and it worked out well.

If you want any further details or trail and camp site suggestions let me know via PM. There are a few nice loops with a few cool places to camp at that are not on the maps.

ETA: And yes, there are bear up there.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Haven't camped there but hiked around last year, absolutely stunning area. I really want to go back!

Definitely get a bear bag to hang the food and take proper precautions. Lots of wild blueberries to draw them, and we saw bear scat.

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    I hiked and camped there last fall, be ready for a very cold night, especially if you camp near a river where the cold air sinks to the lower elevations during the evening. It went from about 70 during the day to near freezing at night.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you camp there overnight when the sky is clear, and there's no moon, prepare yourself for a religious experience.

A toothless hillbilly on top of you screaming "Oh Gawd!" accompanied by banjo music?

Last edited:

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    I never camped or hiked there, but did visit a few times when I lived in Elkins. We would just drive up and hang out for a few hours enjoying the scenery. There used to be signs posted years ago to keep an eye out for un-exploded ordinance, but the last time I was there the signs were gone. Might not be a bad idea just to keep that in the back of your mind if you see anything metallic and out of the ordinary (i.e. something that doesn't look like a soda can, etc.)

Hope you enjoy the visit there. Definately a beautiful place to see.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Dolly Sods is an EXCELLENT choice; one of my favorite places to camp and hike. Be aware that some of the hiking trails can get steep and technical (rocky terrain, water crossings, etc...). Not terrible, but more true hiking than a lot of people are used to.

If it's a clear night and a new moon, you will remember the sky for a very long time.

nonlinear

Aug 8, 2011
    As others have said, no permits. Campfires are OK, but I wouldn't rely on being able to build one. You have to gather dead and down wood only, and sometimes there's not much of that to be found.

If you want to explore without heavy backpacks, one option is to set up a base camp at the Red Creek campground and go on day hikes in the wilderness: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mnf/recreation/natureviewing/recarea/?recid=7003&actid=63

If you're backpacking, the Forks is a great place to camp if you want to be near water -- it's the confluence of Red Creek and some other creek. Great swimming spot and there's a little waterfall there. The only downside is it's the most popular area so you're going to have crowds and competition for campsites.

I did this trip and highly recommend it: http://midatlantichikes.com/dst-mod1.htm

My highlights were: Lion's Head on Breathed Mountain, the northern portion of the wilderness along Raven Ridge trail, the muddy slog up the bogs on Dobbin Grade after a rainy weekend, and swimming at the Forks.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I may be interested in going. Always wanted to go hiking there, been told the stars amazing at night since there is no light pollution.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    Wow' thanks for the info guys. I have check out several youtube videos and the place looks awesome. If my son doesn't go I'll be going alone, so I hope I don't here any banjo music.

dajudge

Feb 22, 2011
    western md.
    Been there years ago to watch for bears to come out for huckleberries. Never saw one though. You should also check out Seneca Rocks area. Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom