• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonW

Jun 15, 2013
    If it is getting hung on the down stroke the issue may be with the inside resizing of the neck. After the case is sized the neck is expanded on the down stroke. I have found using a Q-tip with a little powdered graphite wiped on the inside of the neck works wonders with .222 and 30-06 brass.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If it is getting hung on the down stroke the issue may be with the inside resizing of the neck. After the case is sized the neck is expanded on the down stroke. I have found using a Q-tip with a little powdered graphite wiped on the inside of the neck works wonders with .222 and 30-06 brass.
    Don is right on, lubing the inside of the case necks (which doesn't really happen when you spray and mix em around) is important to minimize wear inside of the necks and reduce the effort needed to remove the expander from the case. You can even use the same lube you use on the outside and a q-tip to apply, remember to let it dry.. :thumbsup:

I use mica for neck sizing and have an old neck lube kit that has 3 different sized brushes mounted on a base, mica inside with a cover.. shake it up and just run the case over the appropriate sized brush which deposits the mica inside the neck.. works great!

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Taking everyone advice, I tore down the die, cleaned and seriously lubricated it. I then reset the dies position using Sticky's method, and disregarded Lymans.

I then shook up the One Shot lube REALY REALY Good, and liberally coated the brass in a bag, mixed them up well, waited 5 min, then did it again, waiting another 5 before running the brass through.

Here are the results.

It was very easy to run the brass up, a little more difficult extracting the brass, but no where near like yesterday. So it appears that most of my issues where lube related. I think I'm going to ditch this One Shot, and get some Dillon.

Does the Dillon lube contaminate the power or primer?

Looks good, much better than the first cases.

I use the Hornady One shot with no issues, but I prefer the Lyman Case spray lube.

Be careful when using spray lube: you don't want to overlube the shoulders of the cases as it may cause denting.

Rather then try to spray inside the necks, I've had good luck just lubing the expander rod and ball before a resizing session: this allows the necks to size without over-lubing the shoulder.

After resizing, I typically will tumble the cases in some fresh media to remove any residual lube for an hour or so, but supposedly the One Shot is supposed to not require that. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom