DOES THE MD-FSA 2013 DISCRIINATE AGAINST THE POOR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhdpal

Jan 3, 2013
    After reading the "plain English" and "non-lawyer" versions by MS forum members, and reading the MSP Licensing webpage, the cost to procure the HQL to buy a handgun in Maryland is expensive, especially for low income and poverty level citizens.

Maybe some of these MD citizens want or need to "exercise their 2A Rights and buy a used inexpensive handgun for personal, family and home protection," especially if they are living in high crime areas.

But along comes MDs FSA and the cost of exercising this right of self defense has now doubled and low income and poverty level citizens cannot afford to legally buy a cheap handgun for self protection.

Will State Government provide low income or poverty level MD [legal & illegal] residents "HQL Subsidy Stamps" towards the purchase of a handgun?

Has MD State Government appropriated taxpayer funding to subsidies handgun purchases by the poor?

Will State Government pay for fingerprinting, firearm safety training, HQL, background check fees, FFL dealer fees and provide transportation, travel expense and a healthy hot lunch to assist the poor in obtaining a handgun under the new FSA regulations? Will the State provide "gun locks" to the impoverished to use on their handguns?

Does MDs FSA violate the president's agenda to "spread the wealth?"

If the MD State Government does not subsidies the low income, poverty level citizens, to comply with the FSA, is this a case of DISCRIMINATION? I wonder???

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    After reading the "plain English" and "non-lawyer" versions by MS forum members, and reading the MSP Licensing webpage, the cost to procure the HQL to buy a handgun in Maryland is expensive, especially for low income and poverty level citizens.

Maybe some of these MD citizens want or need to "exercise their 2A Rights and buy a used inexpensive handgun for personal, family and home protection," especially if they are living in high crime areas.

But along comes MDs FSA and the cost of exercising this right of self defense has now doubled and low income and poverty level citizens cannot afford to legally buy a cheap handgun for self protection.

Yep, join the club.

Will State Government provide low income or poverty level MD [legal & illegal] residents "HQL Subsidy Stamps" towards the purchase of a handgun?

Has MD State Government appropriated taxpayer funding to subsidies handgun purchases by the poor?

:lol::lol2::lol::lol2:

Will State Government pay for fingerprinting, firearm safety training, HQL, background check fees, FFL dealer fees and provide transportation, travel expense and a healthy hot lunch to assist the poor in obtaining a handgun under the new FSA regulations? Will the State provide "gun locks" to the impoverished to use on their handguns?

Of course not. What you can't ban, regulate. What you can't regulate, administer. What you can't administer, charge a fee for.

No, because more wealth flows into government, where it can be spread through sweetheart contracts.

If the MD State Government does not subsidies the low income, poverty level citizens, to comply with the FSA, is this a case of DISCRIMINATION? I wonder???

We brought this up a LOT at the COMAR hearing on 2013-09-23. Deaf ears.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    The politicians who supported the new law, don't have to worry about their personal safety. People living in a bad neighborhoods do. This is a point that should be advertised to the districts of the politicians who supported this law. What is the response time of the police in a bad neighborhood? Many citizens living in bad areas of town are afraid of reprisals if they call the police. They are on their own if someone breaks into their house or assaults them. They need to ask their local representative why they supported a law that prevents them from protecting themselves.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    The politicians who supported the new law, don't have to worry about their personal safety. People living in a bad neighborhoods do. This is a point that should be advertised to the districts of the politicians who supported this law. What is the response time of the police in a bad neighborhood? Many citizens living in bad areas of town are afraid of reprisals if they call the police. They are on their own if someone breaks into their house or assaults them. They need to ask their local representative why they supported a law that prevents them from protecting themselves.

They need to start. VOTE THEM OUT!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    snip....

We brought this up a LOT at the COMAR hearing on 2013-09-23. Deaf ears.

The COMAR hearing was strictly for the Emergency COMAR, and if it got approved or not. It was a simple up or down vote.

If you want to affect change on the COMAR regs, I suggest everyone make their opinion and suggestions known to Col Brown at MSP. The deadline to make suggestions and/or remarks is midnight on Oct 21.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    When will people stop being confused about what constitutes legal discrimination. Poverty (or lack of money) is not a protected class! And there is a vast difference between food stamps and guns. I see lots of folks here in Frederick walking or riding bicycles because they can't afford a car.

Here are the protected classes:

Race – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Color – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Religion – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    National origin – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Age (40 and over) – Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
    Sex – Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Pregnancy – Pregnancy Discrimination Act
    Citizenship – Immigration Reform and Control Act
    Familial status – Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII: Housing cannot discriminate for having children, with an exception for senior housing
    Disability status – Vocational Rehabilitation and Other Rehabilitation Services of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
    Veteran status – Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
    Genetic information – Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
    Sexual Orientation – United States v. Windsor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The COMAR hearing was strictly for the Emergency COMAR, and if it got approved or not. It was a simple up or down vote.

If you want to affect change on the COMAR regs, I suggest everyone make their opinion and suggestions known to Col Brown at MSP. The deadline to make suggestions and/or remarks is midnight on Oct 21.

This should be it's own thread to remind people to get their comments in. Open the flood gates again.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hell yes it discriminates against the poor.
    The goal is no different than that of the NFA.
    -Make firearms ownership burdensome and expensive to restrict and lessen access to them.

For a first-time buyer, a Glock 26 goes from being a $500 purchase to $750+ purchase. Add in time -- possibly missed from work -- to get training and fingerprints and added travel. It disproportionately affects those in low-income areas, which are comprised heavily by minorities, especially when taking into account that there are no ranges within Baltimore City limits. Public transportation does not reach many ranges either. The requirements also hamper senior buyers who may not be able to understand the online application process. Cash also isn't an accepted form of payment and there are many that do not have bank/credit cards.

Imagine the outrage if these were requirements for voter registration or permits for public protest/speaking.

These issues were brought up during the COMAR hearings and I suspect we'll be hearing them a lot during the course of the lawsuits in court.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Hell yes it discriminates against the poor.
    The goal is no different than that of the NFA.
    -Make firearms ownership burdensome and expensive to restrict and lessen access to them.

For a first-time buyer, a Glock 26 goes from being a $500 purchase to $750+ purchase. Add in time -- possibly missed from work -- to get training and fingerprints and added travel. It disproportionately affects those in low-income areas, which are comprised heavily by minorities, especially when taking into account that there are no ranges within Baltimore City limits. Public transportation does not reach many ranges either. The requirements also hamper senior buyers who may not be able to understand the online application process. Cash also isn't an accepted form of payment and there are many that do not have bank/credit cards.

Imagine the outrage if these were requirements for voter registration or permits for public protest/speaking.

These issues were brought up during the COMAR hearings and I suspect we'll be hearing them a lot during the course of the lawsuits in court.

Then let those in Baltimore change how they vote! Would these be the same poor that drive new Mercedes and BMWs while I drive a 10 year old car?

Stop with the "discriminating against the poor" mantra--it ain't gonna fly and dilutes the real issues! You don't need a f'ing handgun to defend yourself (hint: shotgun), and if you really need a handgun, it doesn't need to be a high end Glock, Sig Sauer, Baretta, etc. Get a 1963 Walther P38 that holds 8+1 9mm luger rounds and is a C&R.

Again, focus on winnable arguments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    If they agree with a "right" the state will pay for your "burden". If they don't agree with a right they will make your life miserable to exercise it.

pozzo

Oct 1, 2013
    When will people stop being confused about what constitutes legal discrimination. Poverty (or lack of money) is not a protected class!

This. Nearly everything involving money and the government "discriminates" against someone (rich, poor, etc.). This is about infringement.

Mr H

Banana'd
    DOES THE MD-FSA 2013 DISCRIINATE AGAINST THE POOR?

Functionally, of course it does. It's part of the purpose of it. Make exercise of anything the State disapproves of so onerous, so that people step away from it.

Legally, it'll take a lot to make the charge stick, IMO.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

read this study:
    https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/221074.pdf

particularly "Buyer risk factors" p 4.

Ask yourself, who in Maryland already gets fingerprinted (say, for their job) and who does not. Ask yourself, if you live in a poor neighborhood, going the the MSP to get fingerprinted is associated with what activity?

The EEOC is busy suing companies who run background checks for job applicants because its discriminatory.

That is the answer to your question.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    This argument is meh with me. If you are going to be throwing down 500 for a handgun, 100 for ammo, 25-50 for range time, and a bunch of other cost, putting out another 100 shouldn’t be breaking the bank. I get annoyed when I go to the range and I overhear people saying things like, “What!? It’s going to cost me 25$ to rent a gun and another 50$ for range time and ammo!!”
    Yes, it is actually, owning a gun is expensive, as is becoming proficient with that gun. If you can’t handle that, buy a baseball bat for 15 bucks

That being said, this law discriminates against EVERYONE. 100 dollars is a huge cost considering that firearm ownership is a civil right, social status shouldn’t make any difference on this matter.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Of course, why do poor people need guns? They will just shoot each other like hood rat gang bangers.

That's what they really think, but if you ask them they will talk about peace and social justice.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    That being said, this law discriminates against EVERYONE. 100 dollars is a huge cost considering that firearm ownership is a civil right, social status shouldn’t make any difference on this matter.

Agreed! $100 is a deterent, a barrier to entry, an infringement on the free exercise of rights guaranteed by the US Constitution.

I did not say a prohibition to the exercise of rights, but an infringement, which should require less burden of proof. Regardless of how I choose to exercise that right, it should not be infringed! To exercise my 1st Amendment right should not require a qualification license to do so, regardless if I choose to publish a newspaper or just hand out fliers.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Agreed, the law discriminates against lawful gun owners, all of us legal guys.

The $700 SR1911 I wanted is now a $800 SR1911 and is waiting on tax time.

As said above, you don't need a handgun for personal defense, it's just easier to conceal (which legal beagles can't do either)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom