• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovefreedom82

Feb 15, 2012
    Owings Mills, Maryland
    Md Shooters Members:

Have you found a handgun that is comfortable enough to shoot regularly, but small enough to carry? I'd love to hear your experiences, and how you have balanced these seemingly competing needs.

Thanks

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I carry what some would consider a large handgun. It's a Smith and Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum with a 5 inch barrel. I carry it not because it makes a statement, but because I am comfortable with it, can shoot it proficiently and I don't like small guns.

I carry it in a high ride OWB holster on my belt. I dress accordingly. For some, having a firearm that weighs almost three pounds is a huge bother. I've gotten used to it. I know it's there and I can feel it at all times.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I'm perfectly happy with the size and weight of my glock 19. It has some issues that need to get worked out so it's not a carry gun yet, but it's comfortable to shoot and reasonably sized for cc (with the proper clothing) I've got a comp tac IWB holster for it.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    my friend got a springfield micro compact 3 inch 1911. it feels amazing with its ultra thin grips and weighs only 26 ounces. i was afraid to shoot it at first, but the truth is that the recoil wasnt so much worse then my full size kimber, just more snappy. a compact 9mm 1911 may be a little pricey, but is a joy to both shoot and carry.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've found that during the colder times of the year, my M&P (.45) is my go to for carrying (out of state of course), but during the warmer months I actually prefer the Browning Hi-Power simply because with the holster I have for it, it doesn't print as much as the M&P with lighter clothing on.

Wish I could be like 'Shotgun Joe' and walk around with my 628 .357, but that things a freakin' hog-leg to me.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I've found that during the colder times of the year, my M&P (.45) is my go to for carrying (out of state of course), but during the warmer months I actually prefer the Browning Hi-Power simply because with the holster I have for it, it doesn't print as much as the M&P with lighter clothing on.

Wish I could be like 'Shotgun Joe' and walk around with my 628 .357, but that things a freakin' hog-leg to me.

Bring it down to NC and visit....we'll go out to lunch.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The closest thing I have found to a double duty range gun and concealed carry is a Kahr K9. There are better range guns and better CCW, but for me the Kahr is the middle ground that can do both.

Obviously from the varied replies, the determining factor is all personal preference.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My bersa 45 carries well and i can shoot it on extended range sessions in total comfort. It is a bit heavier being all steel but it doesnt bother me.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I believe in packing the largest concealable handgun. I also believe that a ccw piece should be chambered for the largest projectile the shooter can handle, taking recoil, muzzle blast, controllability and reliability into consideration when choosing a particular piece.

Nothing will be universal. Some will be better than others in certain aspects. So, research is key in making an informed choice.

When I first started to ccw, I carried a 1911 or a beretta 92.. Thanks Uncle Sam for the formal training on these pistols...Did not work out. Too friggin heavy and big. I started a nasty habit of adjusting my gun rig all the time. May as well brandish the gun in public. Because of that, I switched to a Walther PPK, hated it.. the 380 was not awe inspiring at all.I felt outgunned. Switched to a Glock 26. What an awesome pistol for ccw, the caliber was right but the gun was hard to shoot accurately because of its short grip and sight radius.

Upgraded to a Glock 19. IMHO, this is the best all around pistol for ccw. Small enough to conceal, easy to shoot accurately, reliable, lightwight and packs enough firepower to inspire confidence. It was also easy to shoot. The 9mm did not recoil as much, making it possible to deliver accurate shots, really fast. As experts say, SHOT PLACEMENT is key. this is why I carried the G19 for years... a couple of years ago, I upgraded to a Glock 32. same gun, just a bit more power. ( I was also a bit more experienced at that time)

My buddy asked me once. What are you afraid of? With a Glock 32 at my side... I can honestly reply " nothing", i am afraid of nothing at all:D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pick your gun and then change your wardrobe to accomidate.

The most logical answer. :thumbsup:

I have a tendency to switch guns though, the M&P for when I like the idea of having big, heavy rounds to throw if I had to. The BHP for the times where I feel I'd need to be more accurate in placement, I really like how well I shoot that BHP.

I should probably practice more with the M&P though, since these days when I carry, that's typically what I'm carrying.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

409543_10151214460270585_691460584_22997251_2061855865_n.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's one thing I'm missing for that, a holster.

Have two handguns I don't have holsters for (yet), the 628 .357, and the Beretta 96D (I know, it's a .40 short & wimpy...)

Last edited:

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    5" 1911 carries well on the hip with a galco OWB concealment holster when wearing a jacket or large shirt...

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    Glock 26 most of the time. IWB in a Comp-Tac Infidel.

When it's winter with big heavy coat and thick heavy winter gloves, H&K USP 45. OWB in a Comp-Tac Speed Paddle.

dr_baer

Size is a two edge sword, you need stopping power, but it's nice to have a relative small size to carry. I'm use to carrying and shooting a Colt 1911, but in recent years carry a Glock 19 (9 MM) since its compact and holds more rounds. I have friends that were in close quarters firefights with 9MM and refuse to carry a 9 MM because it doesn't have the stopping power of a 45. That's a tough question to answer, it depends on your situation. If you are in a situation you know you are going to pull it and use it, go with a 45.

crewdog.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom