Does HQL qualify as a training requirement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • payn

May 2, 2013
    Would the HQL class satisfy the training requirement for a Florida concealed weapon license? I contacted the Florida licensing division and was told that if it adheres to the current law, it is valid. Has anyone had experience obtaining a non-resident carry permit with HQL training?

From the website:
    Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish

and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;

any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I think it would.. no way to know other than try it and see. I know that the fl course I took ( just to see) fired only one round..

I did not submit so I can't say... next time I am in fl I may...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    FL statute requires the training instructor to have witnessed the applicant actually fire the firearm. The exception is a hunter safety certificate. So if you actually fired the one round required to get the HQL, iy would be legal. If you got the HQL via one of the training exemption, ie previous ownership of a regualted handgun, it technically would not. How that would be determined would be interesting.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    FL statute requires the training instructor to have witnessed the applicant actually fire the firearm. The exception is a hunter safety certificate. So if you actually fired the one round required to get the HQL, iy would be legal. If you got the HQL via one of the training exemption, ie previous ownership of a regualted handgun, it technically would not. How that would be determined would be interesting.

True... I thought op said the HQL class.... I guess you would need to send the training certificate for the class... but it should work.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    you're right. I missed the class part of the OP. Firing one round would make the HQL training comply with the FL statute.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes a Maryland Handgun Qualification License class certificate can be used to satisfy the Florida CCW permit training requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom