• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I understand some people are hesitant about the legalities as far as a bad load etc. But does anyone here reload for a price, if I supply the brass? I have a friend who sends his .50BMG brass out of state to a reloader and I saves him some good money. I'm looking for 45 long colt loads, mainly light CAS loads. I have around 300 brass magtech casings.

As soon as I get my punch, I won't have to worry about this. Just tired of paying $36 a box. As far as bullet weight I don't care one bit.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    From our friends at BATFE:

4.Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

So, pretty much no. Buy the danged press. I reload my .45LC and it 's pretty straight forward. $200-300 investment and you're good to go.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    From our friends at BATFE:

4.Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

So, pretty much no. Buy the danged press. I reload my .45LC and it 's pretty straight forward. $200-300 investment and you're good to go.

So it's OK to load a few for a friend as long as no profit is made?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I will let people borrow my press under supervision, but I will not make ammo for them. Hell with the monetary liability, I would feel like shit forever if someone got hurt due to one second of my inattention or bad components.

I don't like anyone even shooting my reloads, even though I put my full trust in the loads.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Thats a fine choice and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I use a lee breechlock for rifles rounds. Saturday I did some testing with my new rig. My loads had .001 to .002" bullet runout. At 100yds was shooting bug holes and chrony results were ES 16 and SD 6.2. What more could you want??? And my ar loads shoot 1/2 moa.

For pistol you may want to consider lee pro1000 progressive if you shoot alot or the turret press as mentioned above. Its a bit quirky buy you can sit down for an hour or so and crank out several hundred. However with a lee perfect powder measure and digital scale you can get plenty done in an evening with the single stage. Or for pistols I wouldn't hesitate to put the auto disk measure on the single stage.

I would consider handloading for my brother which I do intend to do if I can ever get him to pick up his damn brass. But for a stranger or anyone else for that matter....scary stuff. I don't think I'd sleep at night with my handloads floating around and if something ever did happen getting sued would not be my concern, I'd be terribly upset about causing someone an injury.

I don't know where Arnold MD is but I have some other books and loading manuls you could borrow. I have the ABCs book to if you want to borrow it and cancel your order. You could keep it for as long as you need.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You guys rock thanks for all the help. I appreciate the offer but I'm almost a book hoarder. I take every excuse I can get to add another book to my shelf. Haha I'll be mainly loading 45lc for my SAA obsession but I plan to to do 30 06 and 8mm Mauser.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    So it's OK to load a few for a friend as long as no profit is made?

Yep.

I reload some stuff for a few of my friends, but, I don't get paid a profit, but, they do buy the components, or reimburse me, for what I paid for the components. The stated regulation is such a "gray-area", or very vague at best, it's not worth reading.

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    How gray is a gray area in which someone with a load of brass on their hands offers it to a reloader in exchange for some of it reloaded? I don't see a profit being turned...

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I handload for my brothers gun - but he trusts me, and Im a pretty careful person when it comes to things like that. And in all honesty - he will not shoot any factory ammo, because the handloads Ive done are far more accurate, and consistant

He has a friend (who I know) who wants me to load his 257 Weatherby Mag, and Ill do it, but I also made it clear, that I am no way resposible for ANY liabilties that occur. And I also dont do it for money gain - just supply the needed supplies. But when I do reloads, I also need the gun to check function, and chambering. You might run into issues in that area, and if you bang out a bunch of rounds that wont function in an unseen gun, then you wasted alot of time,and supplies.

But for total strangers - forget it, I would not take the risk of liabilities.

My suggestion is to learn to handload. EVERY shooter should know how.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My wife's former manager is in his middle 70s.

He gave me a LOT of cases (.45 acp and .38 Special) hardcast boolits, powder and primers several years ago.
    He and a buddy went 50/50 on loading equipment a lonnnnnnnng time ago.
    His buddy did all of the loading. Bill sat and 'watched'.
    His buddy passed away, and Bill didn't use the equipment.

He asked me if I could show him how to reload.
    He and his wife came over for dinner one Sunday, and he and I went to the reloading room after a visit to the range.

He's running true to form.
    I showed him how to load on my Dillon RL-550B, and he 'watched'.

He still comes over occasionally, and I show him how to reload his .45 acp., .44 magnum and his .38 Spc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom