• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Tom Mooney will most likely work in AA County. Very good defense atty

I have dealt with Tom Mooney while still a police officer. He is a very good defense attorney, and I speak form first hand experience with him on the opposing side of the courtroom. ;)

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I appreciate everyone's input. Before this input, I felt like I was throwing darts at a wall trying to figure things out; I've never been in this kind of situation before. I read everyone comments and did some initial research on the above mentioned attorneys.

Just an fyi – Schaffer doesn’t practice in AA county and some others don’t list Criminal Defense as a specialty. I have an appointment with Mr. O'Neil on Monday. Thank you for everyone’s support but I will not be talking about this topic further.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    You might want to contact "Lawyer56" a member here who was nice enough to buy MANY of us MdShooters hats. It amazes me how so many forget so much. :sad20: If he can afford that he must have some serious status Id think.
    Another lawyer here represented 214 free of charge against a nutcase in court, CharlieFoxtrot I think. Also Fabs and Rusty often throw out free tidbits of advice maybe one of these guys mentioned is up for hire???

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You might want to contact "Lawyer56" a member here who was nice enough to buy MANY of us MdShooters hats. It amazes me how so many forget so much. :sad20: If he can afford that he must have some serious status Id think.
    Another lawyer here represented 214 free of charge against a nutcase in court, CharlieFoxtrot I think. Also Fabs and Rusty often throw out free tidbits of advice maybe one of these guys mentioned is up for hire???

CharlieFoxTrot is Schaffer and he is an IP here.

I pass on cases like the OP's unless the person already happens to have been a client of mine for several years for other matters.

Don't think Rusty practices criminal law.

End of the day, O'Neal is a really good criminal defense attorney that does a good amount of work in Anne Arundel County. The OP has made two good choices 1) to go talk to O'Neal and 2) to not talk about this matter any further on this board.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have dealt with Tom Mooney while still a police officer. He is a very good defense attorney, and I speak form first hand experience with him on the opposing side of the courtroom. ;)
    Mooney is a high school classmate of mine. He is excellent. He got a UMD basketball player off the sex offender registry after he pled guilty with a different attorney. I am in no way pro sex offender, the guy slapped a girl on her behind while drinking at a bar. Bad choice but "sex offender" registry is overkill anyway.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    CharlieFoxTrot is Schaffer and he is an IP here.

I pass on cases like the OP's unless the person already happens to have been a client of mine for several years for other matters.

Don't think Rusty practices criminal law.

End of the day, O'Neal is a really good criminal defense attorney that does a good amount of work in Anne Arundel County. The OP has made two good choices 1) to go talk to O'Neal and 2) to not talk about this matter any further on this board.

Update today, Friday, May 8th. I just got back from court. I thank everyone for their advise. I ended up being represented by Mr. O'Neil. I can't recommend anyone else after today, this attorney is "Top Notch", knows Firearms Laws in this F'ed up state, is well respected and a hard hitter when he needs to be. I ended up with a PBJ (Peanut Butter & Jam sandwich). It's going to sux for the next 3 years but at least it's not permanent.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Update today, Friday, May 8th. I just got back from court. I thank everyone for their advise. I ended up being represented by Mr. O'Neil. I can't recommend anyone else after today, this attorney is "Top Notch", knows Firearms Laws in this F'ed up state, is well respected and a hard hitter when he needs to be. I ended up with a PBJ (Peanut Butter & Jam) sandwich. It's going to sux for the next 3 years but at least it's not permanent.
    Congrats

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    non-transporting, not loaded. was it in your wasteband at the Y?(civil court) post office?(federal court). need more details, dspurlock

Now that’s it’s over, on my belt, at a neighbor’s house (the best man at my wedding). Came over for the Ravens Playoff game (They lost btw). I never banished it, threated anyone and it was unloaded (loaded magazine is in the same holster) the holster is a clip on the belt that I forgot to take it off before I came over. I ended up in District Court btw- All gun cases and felonies end up there even if is a 2 year/$2,500 misdemeanor. Btw- if you are convicted of this misdemeanor, Bye-bye weapon ownership at the state and Federal level. Thank GOD for Peanut Butter & Jam sandwiches.

Thank you and everyone else

Glad it worked out. O'Neil is top notch

Thanks and Yes he is. I can’t recommend Peter O’Neil enough.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Now that’s it’s over, on my belt, at a neighbor’s house (the best man at my wedding). Came over for the Ravens Playoff game (They lost btw). I never banished it, threated anyone and it was unloaded (loaded magazine is in the same holster) the holster is a clip on the belt that I forgot to take it off before I came over. I ended up in District Court btw- All gun cases and felonies end up there even if is a 2 year/$2,500 misdemeanor. Btw- if you are convicted of this misdemeanor, Bye-bye weapon ownership at the state and Federal level. Thank GOD for Peanut Butter & Jam sandwiches.

Thank you and everyone else

Thanks and Yes he is. I can’t recommend Peter O’Neil enough.

We love happy endings, too. :shocked4: Not that, as you've described it, one would think would be an issue in any normal state in the US. If at a friend's place, and if you don't mind commenting, who surmised that you were carrying and reported it? The pizza guy?

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    Congrats.

So the violation that you plead guilty to in order to get PBJ won't make you a prohibited person?

Nope, not in three years. For three years, I'm on probation so I can't possess a firearm. The Judge stricken-ed out the verdict guilty today (I wasn't technically found guilty of anything) and issued a PBJ. After three years, the probation is removed. I can then own firearms again even with the PBJ on my record.

As an added bonus, After three years, I pay Mr. O'Neil to get it erased permanently from my record. So it never existed....Go figure.

The Law is very confusing to me. I'm a laymen when it comes to that. Now if the court had a computer or network issue today, well that's another thing :)

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    We love happy endings, too. :shocked4: Not that, as you've described it, one would think would be an issue in any normal state in the US. If at a friend's place, and if you don't mind commenting, who surmised that you were carrying and reported it? The pizza guy?

No, it was the neighbors (non-friend anymore). After all the BS I've been through for the last 4 months, I take responsibility for my actions. It wasn't right, but I was wrong, because in this state, it's my responsibility in the end.

Communication Does go a long way but in today's society, it's sorely lacking :mad54:

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013

btw It could of been a hell of a lot worse, I have a security clearance. I could of lost my job, or ended up in jail, This is a Happy Ending to me. :)

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    The law does not allow you to "give permission to carry" on your property unless he is there for one of the allowed reasons to transport the firearm to your location, your a gunsmith, you're holding a shooting or sporting event, you're training your dog, or if he has a collector's status and brought part of his collection to show you.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    btw It could of been a hell of a lot worse, I have a security clearance. I could of lost my job, or ended up in jail, This is a Happy Ending to me. :)

I'm confused, So the guy that was you best man called the cop on you? or did his neighbor?

If it was your friends neighbor, why didn't he tell the cops that you have permission to carry on his property

Same person, my neighbor, who was my best man at my wedding in Vegas. Who used to be my accountant btw. We're not presently speaking.

Non-Firearm person, who flipped out as his wife was out smoking in my car that night. It was raining and as an ex-smoker, I didn't want her standing in the rain so I offered to let her sit in my car. So he saw the pistol and then waiting until his wife went out to smoke with me vaping before he called 911.

I know this sounds like BS, but I couldn't make this stuff up. I got hosed, but again, this was my responsibility in the end. I guess, someone "up above" was telling me something.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    The law does not allow you to "give permission to carry" on your property unless he is there for one of the allowed reasons to transport the firearm to your location, your a gunsmith, you're holding a shooting or sporting event, you're training your dog, or if he has a collector's status and brought part of his collection to show you.

Correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom