• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, have you seen any problems with long term storage in closed cell foam? I havent had a problem with short bursts. I havent done it longer than a few months, but dont want to have a problem if I ever forget.

No problems with a decent lubricant/preservative. I have never tried it without a good preservative.

I put silica packets in my cases though as additional insurance.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    No problems with a decent lubricant/preservative. I have never tried it without a good preservative.

I put silica packets in my cases though as additional insurance.

Ok. Makes me feel a little better. Thats why I bought the portable dehumidifier, one of the ones with silica beads that you plug in to dry them out. I will just make sure I never leave anything in the case longer than I already have.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My mind is not made up...I am just trying to find out as much info as possible before I leave a gun lying around because this is news to me. Under my current circumstances I dont have a gun safe yet and I am working on getting one. I have a little one in the house and try to prevent making any guns accessible.

Im post my advice to help people, I dont have time to debate or convince people. I dont sell lubricant, cases, safes, or have any financial interest in the advice I offer.

Here is your post from the other thread. Do what you want.

This does not make sense....My glock 17 was stored in a foam case before I even purchased it. This has to be one of those things that happened in the "old" days.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    my first hunting rifle was stored in it's carrying case, luckily all it did was mess up the bluing.

Same reason I treat my leather holsters with ballistol, makes the leather water proof, chemically reacts with and neutralizes the tannic acid, filling the pores of the leather and keeping it really really supple.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    There are many types of foam. Choose wisely. Open cell foam holds water. Though it appears dry... there is water there. You will notice after a few weeks of storage.

Closed cell foam and desiccant packs to be safe.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Im post my advice to help people, I dont have time to debate or convince people. I dont sell lubricant, cases, safes, or have any financial interest in the advice I offer.

Here is your post from the other thread. Do what you want.

You can lead a horse to water Chad. After that.........

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Ok, you guys have now scared the (*^& out of me. What about 1/4" foam lining in gun cabinet on bottom where butt of gun (non-metallic) is only thing that is contacting foam? i would have never guessed this as an issue but defer to the obvious experience here. is this keeping too much moisture in the cabinet? I have a hygrometer for my humidor that i could move into the cabinet for awhile to see what it is doing. what humidity is good bad?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I suggest you DO NOT store it in the case. The foam will cause the steel components to rust where it makes contact. If you do store it in the case, use wax paper to create a barrier between the rifle and the foam.

I was a Gunsmith for a little over 10 years and in my time I saw all kinds of damage from improper storage, improper cleaning, and fire damage. Open Cell Foam cases do a good bit of damage. The foam holds moisture and causes corrosion where the foam contacts ferrous metals.

Basically you want to put wax paper over the rifle like a taco shell. You can use paper bags sprayed with CLP as an alternative.

Smith & Wesson has been doing it for years to prevent corrosion with their foam cases.

Foam does not cause steel to rust.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Foam does not cause steel to rust.

No it doesn't but the moisture it holds does.
    Also be careful with your desiccant packs. Recently a friend of mine opened an ammo can that had been sealed for quite some time. The ammo that the desiccant pack was laying on was corroded. I guess from the moisture it absorbed.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    My mind is not made up...I am just trying to find out as much info as possible before I leave a gun lying around because this is news to me. Under my current circumstances I dont have a gun safe yet and I am working on getting one. I have a little one in the house and try to prevent making any guns accessible.

Buy these and then place them in the original case for long term storage.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/gun-storage-materials/gun-storage-bags/triple-tough-premium-storage-bags-prod1154.aspx

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Don't leave them in felt lined cases, either. I got a free shotgun that spent too much time in one. I had to use sand paper to get the felt off of the barrel.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't leave them in felt lined cases, either. I got a free shotgun that spent too much time in one. I had to use sand paper to get the felt off of the barrel.

Same here with 2 Marlins (a 60 and 336).

Took a lot of time to remove the surface rust, and minimize the visible pitting underneath.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I got a big discount on a Marlin 336 that had been left in a fabric case. You can see the fabric pattern (in rust and faded bluing) on the side of the receiver. Oops.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ok, you guys have now scared the (*^& out of me. What about 1/4" foam lining in gun cabinet on bottom where butt of gun (non-metallic) is only thing that is contacting foam? i would have never guessed this as an issue but defer to the obvious experience here. is this keeping too much moisture in the cabinet? I have a hygrometer for my humidor that i could move into the cabinet for awhile to see what it is doing. what humidity is good bad?

It can cause recoil pad screws to rust. Otherwise it wont hurt plastic or wood.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ever get your socks wet? :)

I wouldn't use something that could transfer moisture from the foam to the steel, and I imagine a gun sock could do that.

I imagine it's possible, but IIRC, most of the gun socks on the market are silicone treated to prevent moisture retention.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you are storing in a cabinet and you are worried about rusting, you can use a sacrificial piece of carbon steel. You need to attach a strong magnet to it, a decent size rare earth magnet will work well. Strong enough that you have a hard time removing it, many people will put something between it and the metal. This will cause the sacrificial steel to rust first, it will rust right on the opposite side the magnet is attached exactly where the magnet is attached.

This is pretty common in heavy industry that is mission critical. Ive also known a few motorcyclist who have done the same thing. In Alaska oil industry they use at least 2X the nuts they need to bolt something and at least one set isnt coated. When the uncoated nuts rust it creates a quick visual that the other nuts should be replaced, its kinda cold to be doing some other test to see if some nuts need to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom