• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    FYI- The State of Md. along wiht the DNR and Forestry dept are putting a plan together to open up a vast trail system here in Western Md. I don't think it would rival the Hatfield McCoy trail system but, if they get to do what they are trying to do it will be a large trail system.

I have mixed thoughts on this. I do ride a lot. I race GNCC's and have ridden these trails for 30+ years now. It would be nice to be able to ride these trails "legally" but then again, this will bring plenty of tourons up here and since I live smack in the middle of no where and plenty of trails lead to my house, I am not thrilled with people knowing my house is out all by itself.

I hear that most every state agency is on board. even to the extent of allowing ATV's to ride the side roads to hotels, stores, gas stations...etc..
    Except for Trouts Unlimited. they are throwing a fit about crossing streams with ATV's any stream , any size. And apparently they have a good bit of political clout.

If the state does this correctly, and goes all out and opens up as many trails as possible, giving riders a huge range to enjoy then it should be a success. But if they regulate the crap out of it and only open small sections of trails due to some endangered wooly beetle or not wanting to invade the mysterious jackalope's natural habitat, well, then it will be a disaster.

Any opinions on this?

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    This would be great but what will it cost the rider tags registration and what ever else

IMHO, in a word YES!

Aside from Breathing(for now, remember, EPA and CO2) what exactly can you do in Maryland for Free???? NADA!

R

fd3466

Jan 31, 2011
    I hope the trail system is similar to the Blackwater area in Canaan Valley was years ago.

ar450

Feb 6, 2013
    Garrett County
    I'm in the same situation as ktm rider. I also used to race gncc on quad and border state forest. I've had a lot of trouble with people going right past my no trespassing signs. I really wouldn't mind but usually the gravel in my driveway gets destroyed in the end. I've always said if people needed help(broken down)stop by, but when gravel is flying I tend to get mad.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I grew up racing dirt track at old Dorsey Speedway and have rode bikes my whole life. I am however a little concerned with what is called ATV trails. I have hunted Greenridge for years and used to enjoy the "ORV" trails. The trails were roads less traveled and left pretty rough for jeeps and various 4 wheel guys to use. If driven properly a 2 wheel truck with clearance could also use them to find good (less crowded) hunting opportunities. Then people began bringing in 4 wheelers on trailers and trying to be speed demons. They weren't hunters or campers and just wanted to go fast. They also left more trash behind than the other users while the extra noise spooked wildlife and the occasional horses that were trying to use the trails as well. I think that is why they closed the trails in addition to the cost cutbacks that left less money for trail maintenance.
    So, while I think there is plenty of land to have some trails I think they should be planned so as not to infringe on other outdoor interests. If there is so much money to be gained, why aren't some private landowners starting something? This could just be another example of taking money from Pittman-Robertson and using for other purposes.

doug38s

BIGELOW
    Mar 28, 2012
    Sharpsburg
    I have been hearing about this for going on three years now. The Greenridge loop wasnt closed to improper use. The ****ers that stood in the shareholder group meeting in Baltimore that lied to us saying something would be done immediately to open up new lands knew they were not going to do anything fast. They closed the loop to certify the hardwood trees from AA rating to AAA rating for pulp production. Which is milllions of dollars a year to the state of MD.

Long and short ----- ITS WAS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY and the BS they have been feeding us since then is a puppet show. Peditto is on our side but the rest of them could care less.

I was there. Ive seen it for years now concerning just this issue and dont believe any second soon that they will be doing anything constructive to make legal offroading in MD happen.

Doug Bigelow
    Bigelow Motorsports
    ULTRA 4 racer 4413
    GNCC UTV racer 313

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i will believe it (and be happy) when I see it (the trails being opened).

shutting green ridge was a travesty, what a perfect location for a trail system. then they shut the shorter trail near deep creek that had all the stream crossings, that was a fun trail to ride with the nieces and nephews.

western Maryland won't be any closer for me, but I just had to drive 3 hours each way to ride the trails at south pedlar in the GW near natural bridge. there are a few trails closer but they are super rocky.

next week i'm hoping to ride the USFS trails in Marienville, PA, but that is 5-6 hours away. some 75 miles of trails though, mostly open and higher speed. did indian ridge, pinnacle creek and Pocahontas at hatfield a few weeks ago.

would be nice to "only" have to drive 3 hours for a decent trail system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom