• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county
    I have a dms-1/larue mount on a 16" barreled AR. I am curious of other owners' setups. How do you use the reticle to your advantage. What yardage have you found the zero works best for this reticle. (Ex. 50/200 or battle zero).

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have a dms-1/larue mount on a 16" barreled AR. I am curious of other owners' setups. How do you use the reticle to your advantage. What yardage have you found the zero works best for this reticle. (Ex. 50/200 or battle zero).

50/200.

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county

That is what I am leaning towards. Have you found the circle to match up with certain yardages. Ex. Inner top circle for 100 yards and inner bottom circle for 300 yds. I have read this can done with an eotech circle dot. 50 yd zero and inner circle for 7 yds. I want to be able to use this AR for 7 yds to 300 yds.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I honestly just dial in my dope so I can always shoot POA. I'm not much for Kentucky windage. Part of zeroing your scope should be to check your dope for each range and knowing your adjustments. Now that's what I do form competition shooting. IF you are setting up a rifle for protection then you do need to be familiar with your reticle and holds at various distances. The outer circle on the DMS is pretty big though so I doubt it would be much of a usable POA at anything but extremely short or long ranges.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Just for clarification....

In timed events such as three gun you dial in vs using your holdovers? How does that work for you?

I remember in the us weapons thread KevP expressed a disliking for the 250yd zero. I was curious what he uses.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just for clarification....

In timed events such as three gun you dial in vs using your holdovers? How does that work for you?

I remember in the us weapons thread KevP expressed a disliking for the 250yd zero. I was curious what he uses.

Before the various stages start I dial in the appropriate range. It works great as under the stress of shooting against the clock there is always a natural tendency to hold directly on the target. I like to keep it simple if there is time. Now on stages with variable distances you have to decide whether its worth the time to dial it in or just change your hold.

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county
    I think I am going to go with the 50/200 and make notes for 7 and 100 yds. Roughly how many clicks am I looking at for 7 and 100? I know there will be a lot of variables. I am asking for "in general."
    This is primarily a range/fun gun but could be used for SHTF should the need arise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom