DIY Muzzle Device Installation on Precision Bolt Action?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I have a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD in an XLR chassis. I want to put a PWS PRC muzzle device on it. I understand that it comes with a shim set to get it timed properly.

Is this something I can do myself without the use of a vise or clamping device? Does the rifle have to be removed from the chassis? Can I just screw it on the rifle with some shims as is until I get it timed properly? Can you hand tighten it or does it need to be torqued? Can you torque it while in the chassis?

Let me know if I'm in over my head and need to go to gunsmith. I would prefer not to. I have an AR15 wrench. I'm not sure if that is the right size. I don't have a torque wrench or vise.

Sorry about the noob questions. I can't seem to find clear DIY directions how easily factory threaded parts can be joined. I would appreciate step by step directions.

Thank you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you do not torque it, it will unscrew as you shoot.

You want it tight.

You can probably do it with a strap wrench, but a gunsmith can probably do it for you in a few minutes.

I am surprised there is not a You Tube video on doing this.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I have a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD in an XLR chassis. I want to put a PWS PRC muzzle device on it. I understand that it comes with a shim set to get it timed properly.
    Looking at their website and shims: It appears to be a muzzle brake and not a tuning device. The shims don't give you nearly the adjustment as the BOSS system provides. The PRC has a top and bottom. I think the shims keep the brake in the proper orientation.

I have a Vais brake and a Moreo? brake on my prairie dog 700's. I hand tighten them, they do not loosen on their own.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    So "timing" refers to having the top of the brake point up at 12 o'clock as I suspected. The guy in the video used a crescent wrench:shocked4: instead of a torque wrench. On a 1980's vintage BMW motorcycle, the difference between 25 and 28 ft-lbs can be a pulled cylinder stud (steel stud and aluminum head).

My Vais brake and the Holland brake are 28 vs 24 tpi for the PCR. I still don't see the need for thread locker or torque on a bolt action gun.

FYI Generic torque values are based on the hardness of the fastener and the thread specs of the components. Loctite or grease lowers acts as a lubricant and you should lower the measured torque by 15% unless the torque is specified as a lubricated torque.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yes, timing refers to the top ports being oriented at 12 o'clock on a muzzle brake. Thread locker is recommended and it needs to be tightened, not tremendously, but a wrench on the flats to lock it up tight is important (Put some masking tape on the flats before hitting it with a wrench). The shims are in lieu of a crush washer and enable you to time it properly when torqued. You can also use a "peel washer", which enables you to peel off a layer at a time to thin it little by little until you time it properly. ;)

You can also shave the back edge in a lathe and time a muzzle brake to the barrel with no shim or crush washer, as on this barrel on my 308...

IMG_0834small_zps0fc857a0.jpg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Brakes are awful noise wise but help tame some guns down with recoil.
    Yes, they do, and the more efficient the brake it, the more it tends to be objectionable. They do not increase the volume of the report, but they do direct it back and substantially increase sound levels and concussion at the firing point and especially on either side.

They can also throw debris back and/or make loose debris around the muzzle airborne, where the wind can dump it back on you or fellow shooters
    There is usually a downside to reducing recoil.
    True. Be careful what you wish for, you may end up trading horseshit for manure. Most shooters are actually more sensitive to muzzle blast than properly managed recoil and for these shooters, a muzzle brake reduces recoil but does not make the rifle more pleasant to shoot.

terpsv2

Nov 22, 2013
    I installed my surefire break myself. Took a little bit of trial an error to get the spacers just right. I did not have a torque wrench but as long as you dont over torque you should be fine with some rockset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom