• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Hello MD Shooters,

I am currently getting separated, divorce is coming in a few weeks. My wife is trying to claim every single thing I have and hence, half of my firearm collection and related expenses. Its absolutely crazy as she considers this marital assets even know they are all registered and owned by me. She never fired them, never touched them and doesn't even know the safe combo. My question - to help protect me from having to sell or buy her out of the total value of the collection wen she tries and claim them as 50% her, i was told that I could sell them to a friend now for a wholesale price with an official contract and then only have to provide her half of the sale amount and then purchase them back after the fact. Obviously if i have form items that will complicate this transfer and i may need to transfer appropriately as well with the MSP. This is risky but may be needed and has anyone done this and how did it turn out in the divorce process? Looking for some help and advice on success stories as my wife is bat *ish crazy. She has a history of mental illness, has a dismissed PO on her record for domestic violence over the past month, and an expired medical marijuana card so she cant physically take possession of them, likely only bought out for the 50% value. But if I can reduce this amount from 10K split of property to a $500 bill of sale split, is this legal and legit?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    How familiar is she with your guns? Could you slip a few out and to a trusted relative or friend?
    Go to the range, 5 guns go, 2 come back?

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Or go boating. Sorry OP, not intending to make light as this sucks. BTDT although relatively amicable. The marital "contract" in my mind is one of the most antiquated bits of legislation around. Sure, single earner households back in the day when the woman maybe had little opportunity but today? Best of luck to you sir.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I am VERY sorry to hear about your situation (I HATE seeing these threads but realize, they are a reality)

IANAL and can only say that TWICE now I have stored / “housed” entire collections of individuals going through similar circumstances

- and they got their collections over to me ASAP after the crap hit the fan (I.e., there was ZERO DELAY on their parts)

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    The second that the handwriting was on the wall for me was the second I got all the guns out of the house. When my divorce went through I recollected my firearms.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Or give her every firearm you don't want and then explain to her all the legal ramifications of ownership. She may have different thoughts once you call her bluff.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    She wants a 50/50 split then that applies to her chit too.

Does she have any Jewelry, Valuables or Collectables?

Did you contribute to any of her education expenses?

Her Car, Her 1/2 of the house and any of the bills she generated is on the table

Unless she's got you dead to rights with cheating or abusing then Alls Fair in Love and War.

Stay Strong. You're going through Hell so don't stop, just keep going.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Went through this last year with a variety of assets. Amazing that the things they complain about us buying while married becomes the things they claim they MUST have when splitting (like my fishing kayak, grill, lawnmower, etc. things she never touched in the years I (we) owned them, while all her makeup and jewelry etc is "off limits, hers not ours". Unfortunately it's all considered in MD 50/50 and likely she's doing what mine did and just trying to turn the screws to make it uncomfortable/extract maximum $$ from the situation, so negotiations it is. Remember the cost/value of makeup/perfume/beauty products etc when doing this, and it helps if you have access to bank or credit card statements that can correlate to the beauty product etc. purchases and potentially balance some of those assets out (not advice, go to a lawyer for that, just my anecdotal experience). Best of luck to you, something that got me through was repeating "divorce is expensive because it's worth it" and "I'm paying a fee to get out of a shitty situation" over and over and re-reading that man in the mirror image a few others have posted on here before.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    My buddy separated and divorce storm was brewing. He got a dog after they split but before divorce.. Had to pay her for the “family” dog. Sorry you’re in this mess.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    My buddy separated and divorce storm was brewing. He got a dog after they split but before divorce.. Had to pay her for the “family” dog. Sorry you’re in this mess.
    We have multiple dogs. She sold one of the family dogs and refuses to give me 50% of the sale and the other one was just purchased a month ago. I have these items on the agreement.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Went through this last year with a variety of assets. Amazing that the things they complain about us buying while married becomes the things they claim they MUST have when splitting (like my fishing kayak, grill, lawnmower, etc. things she never touched in the years I (we) owned them, while all her makeup and jewelry etc is "off limits, hers not ours". Unfortunately it's all considered in MD 50/50 and likely she's doing what mine did and just trying to turn the screws to make it uncomfortable/extract maximum $$ from the situation, so negotiations it is. Remember the cost/value of makeup/perfume/beauty products etc when doing this, and it helps if you have access to bank or credit card statements that can correlate to the beauty product etc. purchases and potentially balance some of those assets out (not advice, go to a lawyer for that, just my anecdotal experience). Best of luck to you, something that got me through was repeating "divorce is expensive because it's worth it" and "I'm paying a fee to get out of a shitty situation" over and over and re-reading that man in the mirror image a few others have posted on here before.
    Good advice friend. I hate to become a person of bad moral judgment and ethics out of spite - but this is a good point. Tit for tat for every dollar with this person after 15 years is stressful and uncalled for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom