• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    OK, I have a dilemma. In the past year or so, I have lost my Dad, and my Uncle. My uncle introduced my parents... Dad and him were lifelong hunting fishing, and shooting buddies. I inherited an in the box, not even cleaned yet CMP Remington 03A3. Dad also had a well sporterized 03A3, that he built in the late 50s that went to my Brother. (He hunts, I like Milsurp stuff) I also got from my uncle a "Smith Corona" kit.... The SC has had the barrel turned down, shortened and crowned. I have an original barrel tho... My uncle was a really good woodworker and I have a mostly finished stock he was making My preference would be to restore the SC to original configuration as a match to the Remington, but I can see finishing it as he was building it. I will NOT drill holes in the SC reciever for a scope mount. So, what do you think? I am keeping both in any case as a tribute to the 2 men that turned me onto firearms at an early age.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Personally, I would restore the SC to military configuration and sell the "SC kit" to pay for parts. The "mostly finished stock" is up to you, but I would sell that too if you restore rifle to 03A3.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Jesse, first sorry for the loss of your Father and your Uncle. Nice that you inherited some of their guns to remember them.
    Since you do not want to drill the SC receiver I would restore it back to original, get a smith to install and headspace the barrel and you should be able to do the rest easy, hardest part will be finding an original Smith stock. It will be a fun project and give you something to search for at gun shows, several shows have dealers that have 03 parts.

powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I say go for it. Parts are readily available & the feeling that you get from converting the 03/A3 sporters back to their original configuration is just priceless. These are some of my A3 rifles I’m currently working on, the bottom one will probably need a new barrel. Others need a lot of work too.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
      IMG_0436.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 191

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    The SC Kit is pretty much a barrelled action, a bolt and a mostly finished custom made sporter stock. I need to find all the rest, but I will get it done sooner or later. I need to find someone that can fit my other barrel, and head space it. Any suggestions?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The S-C I've got began life as a decommissioned "drill rifle" with an RA barrel (cut 'n' welded to the receiver).
    Today, Springy's back to fully functional spec with a period-correct, NOS S-C barrel. My favourite firearm and by a long-shot (you can ignore the watch, the photo was taken for something else).

Attachments

• 6241, 30-06 & leather 003+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      6241, 30-06 & leather 003+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads