• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    They get you with what's called a compulsory insurance violation and it gets very expensive.....make sure you keep the receipt when you return your tags.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Maryland is indeed an oddity when it comes to vehicle registration. I bought a car in California many years ago. When I moved back to Maryland I tried to register it, but Maryland wouldn't allow it unless I produced the title. California does not release titles to individuals, but would release it to the Maryland MVA on request. Maryland informed me that, as a matter of policy, they do not request titles. I informed California, and was told that they would not release the title to me; they would only release it to Maryland. I told the Maryland MVA and they said, "we won't write a letter to California requesting the title, but we will write them a letter telling them we won't write them a letter requesting the title". I put this letter on top of the stack of earlier correspondence and mailed it to California. About ten days later I received the title in the mail. Someone in the California DMV had put a handwritten note on the letter, "We give up."
    Too funny. We are even more messed up than CA. Sad.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Maryland is indeed an oddity when it comes to vehicle registration. I bought a car in California many years ago. When I moved back to Maryland I tried to register it, but Maryland wouldn't allow it unless I produced the title. California does not release titles to individuals, but would release it to the Maryland MVA on request. Maryland informed me that, as a matter of policy, they do not request titles. I informed California, and was told that they would not release the title to me; they would only release it to Maryland. I told the Maryland MVA and they said, "we won't write a letter to California requesting the title, but we will write them a letter telling them we won't write them a letter requesting the title". I put this letter on top of the stack of earlier correspondence and mailed it to California. About ten days later I received the title in the mail. Someone in the California DMV had put a handwritten note on the letter, "We give up."

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And when you go to MVA , don't use the drop box. Wait in line to hand them to a live human, and receive a recipt.

And on top of that , I also physically tear my old plates in half and turn in the pieces. At one point at least one corrupt MVA employee was not entering facially valid plates into the system , and giving/ selling them. At least some of them were then used to enable the commishion of felonies. [ I know because I was the victim of serial burglars, nieighbors kept getting the tag numbers , and they all came back to other cars whose owners had turned them in. The previous owners don't realize until a cpl months later when they get letters about compulsory ins violations.]

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    And when you go to MVA , don't use the drop box. Wait in line to hand them to a live human, and receive a recipt.

And on top of that , I also physically tear my old plates in half and turn in the pieces. At one point at least one corrupt MVA employee was not entering facially valid plates into the system , and giving/ selling them. At least some of them were then used to enable the commishion of felonies. [ I know because I was the victim of serial burglars, nieighbors kept getting the tag numbers , and they all came back to other cars whose owners had turned them in. The previous owners don't realize until a cpl months later when they get letters about compulsory ins violations.]

So I went to the MVA yesterday. Apparently, receipts are no longer given. I argued and demanded to see a supervisor. Supervisor said the same thing. "We've changed the way we receive plates. You have to use the drop box and no receipt is given."
    I dealt with three people and none would give me a receipt or take my plates. Said I had to use the drop box. So reluctantly, I used the drop box. I can't wait to see what kind of crap comes my way now.
    God I hate MD.

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    So I went to the MVA yesterday. Apparently, receipts are no longer given. I argued and demanded to see a supervisor. Supervisor said the same thing. "We've changed the way we receive plates. You have to use the drop box and no receipt is given."
    I dealt with three people and none would give me a receipt or take my plates. Said I had to use the drop box. So reluctantly, I used the drop box. I can't wait to see what kind of crap comes my way now.
    God I hate MD.

So what would happen if you just kept the tags and told MVA to stuff it?

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    So what would happen if you just kept the tags and told MVA to stuff it?

Don't know...I finally called MVA. The woman said my plates were received and canceled. She said receipts were mailed. Apparently though...the folks at MVA don't bother reading the address on the form they make you fill out. The mail receipts to whatever address they have on file-and an added bonus: MVA mail can't be forwarded. So after argiung with this woman for several minutes-mostly defending myself against her insisting it was my fault, she finally agreed to send copies of thr receipts to my new address.

God I hate MD...

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    As soon as you cancel your insurance, I believe the insurer contacts MVA about cancelation.depending on how many days it's been since cancelation, they penalize you by the day. Better get them tags to the MVA soonest.

Tell state of MD to pound sand. You have coverage. They are just looking for a way to collect the loose change out of your pockets on the way out. They no longer have any hooks in you.

Ignore any mail from MVA regarding such and get on with your life!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Oh, good Lord. I didn't know about this. I canceled my MD policy and have a new VA policy, but haven't switched my tags. Crapola.

You may want to make friends with your old MD insurance carrier...

Lack of coverage in MD without turning in tags is ... painful. And that's the indirect voice of experience talking.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    God I hate MD.

Anyone having to do this in the future - use your cell phone or a small digital camera to make a clear video of you slowly sliding your tags into the return box. Make sure to save the video along with the date/time.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Anyone having to do this in the future - use your cell phone or a small digital camera to make a clear video of you slowly sliding your tags into the return box. Make sure to save the video along with the date/time.

What return box? Every time I've returned tags I've handed them to a clerk and gotten a receipt. Also, when I update my insurance it asks me when I sold the car I'm turning tags on for. Sometimes the date is 3 or 4 days previous to when I turned in the tags. Haven't gotten any letters yet :fingerscrossed:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I turned my old plates into Fred's Tag and Title. Cost me $5 and they gave me a receipt. They are linked directly to MVA. Any tag and title place should be able to do this. Also a great place to get new tags. Fee is cheap and NO wait. They do the T&T work for a lot of the dealers.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    MVA is a place designed to suck souls from people. ...simple as that.
    Agreed, spent most of the day Friday at the Beltsville office. Watched countless Hispanics get prompt service while the angry English speakers including myself formed a long line to speak with management. They apologized but had no explanation for calling countless numbers out of order (in favor of illegals). There is a lot more to the story about what I witnessed but I don't want the stress of retelling the whole story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom