• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • regularfunk

Mar 18, 2008
    MD
    Did a search but couldn't find my answer.

Do I need to get the notary done in MD? I'm a MD resident that is currently in Afghanistan. We have a legal office out here that can do the notary for me; however, the wording on the form makes me think that I need to have this done in MD.

Not a huge deal if I can't do it but I hoped I could do this while I'm out here so my wait would be killed along with my deployment time.

regularfunk

Mar 18, 2008
    MD
    Follow up question:

How many people actually get contacted at the numbers you listed on the application? Since I deployed I put my cell number on "military hold" so I'd imagine no one at the MSP could get through to it (I don't use a home phone) and I definately don't want to use the ex.

Hopefully they would then try to call my work number where someone would let them know I'm deployed.

Should I put another letter in the envelope explaining my situation and that email would be the best way to contact me?

Either way, I'll be going to the legal office when they open today to get the signatures and try my luck.

regularfunk

Mar 18, 2008
    MD
    Thanks holepunch!

Another question, just want to get this right but I suspect I'm looking way too far into this. :o

The notary part of the form has a line that says:

In and for the County of ____________, personally appeared and made oath in due form of Law that the answers provided in this application are full, complete, correct, and true to the best of his/her knowledge, information and belief.

The officer at legal put Kabul, Afghanistan in the blank since that is where we are, would there be any issues with this?

Additionally, after the space where the notary signs there is a part that says:

My Commission Expires: ___________

This was left blank as apparently that doesn't apply. Don't know how that works with military notaries.

Either way I typed up an additional letter to go with the form just in case. Hopefully I'll come back to some mail with good news! I really appreciate the help from everyone here.

Little off topic but what I really like about MD Shooters is that people here are very knowledgeable and don't mind helping others out. It helps those of us less knowledgable out a ton. Thanks again!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thanks holepunch!

Another question, just want to get this right but I suspect I'm looking way too far into this. :o

The notary part of the form has a line that says:

In and for the County of ____________, personally appeared and made oath in due form of Law that the answers provided in this application are full, complete, correct, and true to the best of his/her knowledge, information and belief.

The officer at legal put Kabul, Afghanistan in the blank since that is where we are, would there be any issues with this?

Additionally, after the space where the notary signs there is a part that says:

My Commission Expires: ___________

This was left blank as apparently that doesn't apply. Don't know how that works with military notaries.

Either way I typed up an additional letter to go with the form just in case. Hopefully I'll come back to some mail with good news! I really appreciate the help from everyone here.

Little off topic but what I really like about MD Shooters is that people here are very knowledgeable and don't mind helping others out. It helps those of us less knowledgable out a ton. Thanks again!

You're prefectly legal.

Military Notaries are a little different, but legal. Sometimes civilians are taken off guard.

Since Officers are commissioned for life, the blank line can be ignored.

MD=What 2nd Amendment?

S&W Fanboy. I admit it.
    Jun 3, 2011
    Allegany County
    Is there a waiting period for us? Not that I'd go to Maryland to purchase a firearm :lol2:

Jim

There's no waiting period on shotgun or rifle in Maryland as long as it is not regulated. It's instant. For a pistol or regulated it is just mailing it across to the other FFL. There are no waits for out of state. The local gun shop here in Cumberland sells to WV residents all the time. They buy it. The shop gets in the truck drives the regulated firearm across into WV which takes 5 minutes and the buyer fills out the 4473 and walks out of the WV FFL with it same day. :envy:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think I'll just keep my firearms purchases on this side of the Potomac. There's a shop here that has a Mini-14 with gov't barrel and factory folding stock that the guys is selling for $600. It's that or the PTR-91 with retractable stock for $900.

Jim

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I think I'll just keep my firearms purchases on this side of the Potomac. There's a shop here that has a Mini-14 with gov't barrel and factory folding stock that the guys is selling for $600. It's that or the PTR-91 with retractable stock for $900.

Jim

IMO you'll be happier with the PTR... just sayin

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom