• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    4 months. I applied for it Feb. 19, 2010 and it came in the mail Friday June 11, 2010. Not to bad considering all of the 6+ month stories Ive been hearing about. Thanks MSP! :thumbsup:

Now if only that damned Lottery would come thru so I could put it to good use. :banghead:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I scoff at "certificate". It's a letter...faded xerox letterhead. Still, I should frame mine, as a way to mock the one-gun-per-30-days bullhockey.

Edit: Congrats...welcome to the "able to but can't afford club".

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its a letter, a badge of honor and good to see the administration of them is speeding up.

Sooooooooooooo glad I got mine.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Would be nice though, if it let you skip the rediculous 7 day wait. If you're a collector, you would obviously have several other weapons, what purpose does the wait serve?

MH

Last edited:

ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    4 months. I applied for it Feb. 19, 2010 and it came in the mail Friday June 11, 2010. Not to bad considering all of the 6+ month stories Ive been hearing about. Thanks MSP! :thumbsup:

Now if only that damned Lottery would come thru so I could put it to good use. :banghead:

I received my "APPROVED" status letter Friday as well. Mailed my application on March 1, 2010.

:patriot:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    It allows you to circumvent the 30 day waiting period between handgun purchases. So basically you can buy a gun a day if your wallet allows you to do so.

It also helps you if, God forbid, there is a defensive shooting at your house and the journalists or lawyers show up & see how many guns or how much ammo you've stockpiled there. You can legitimately say "Look, I'm a Designated Firearms Collector" as opposed to them saying "OMG - the nut was armed for war! He had a dozen guns and enough ammunition to kill hundreds of people!" All the neighbors are then interviewed until they get the one who is quoted as saying "He always seemed to keep to himself. I guess you could call him a loner." Etc. You know the media drill.

The certificate helps for that as well.

Thanks by the way for the information on the latency. I sent mine off in early May and was starting to wonder if I should check up on it. Sounds like this is just business as usual for the MSP.

pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    It also helps you if, God forbid, there is a defensive shooting at your house and the journalists or lawyers show up & see how many guns or how much ammo you've stockpiled there. You can legitimately say "Look, I'm a Designated Firearms Collector" as opposed to them saying "OMG - the nut was armed for war! He had a dozen guns and enough ammunition to kill hundreds of people!" All the neighbors are then interviewed until they get the one who is quoted as saying "He always seemed to keep to himself. I guess you could call him a loner." Etc. You know the media drill.

The certificate helps for that as well.

Thanks by the way for the information on the latency. I sent mine off in early May and was starting to wonder if I should check up on it. Sounds like this is just business as usual for the MSP.

I was told I could call after 30 days and they would give you an answer over the phone. I never did so I have no idea who to get ahold of.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Sent mine in around 5/20 and got mine today. In the interim Cpl. Cusimano responded to 2 emails within 24hrs time each. I think that's excellent service.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does this allow you to do?

I'd love to be able to legally run an 11.5" barrel on an AR.

You can do that. Check the Class III section of the board for info. It will cost you $200, that goes to the Fed's. MD allows almost every type of NFA toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom