• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Let me start by saying to the mods if this is in wrong place feel free to move it.
    I ordered some stuff from sportsmans guide last week, along with it was som ammo.

I ordered 500 rounds of .223 and 1000 of 9mm (the 9mm is on backorder) and was waiting for the delivery of the 223 and other items this week.

So I track it and says it is due yesterday by end of day.

Had a Dr. appt. with my son at the pediatrician and left at 12:30 and would be home by 2.

Come home to find the package, ammo included, on the front porch. Now I am not worried about the fact it was there, we generally have had no issues in my area with the stuff walking. What got me was that I was given the email that said requires an adult signature.

Nobody was home! When I called Sportmans today to inquire I was told "sometimes it happens"... So how worried are folks really about us getting ammos shipped to the home? Not much I guess.....

Just wanted you all to know that so if you are expecting from them it may get dropped if you are home or not.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Let me start by saying to the mods if this is in wrong place feel free to move it.
    I ordered some stuff from sportsmans guide last week, along with it was som ammo.

I ordered 500 rounds of .223 and 1000 of 9mm (the 9mm is on backorder) and was waiting for the delivery of the 223 and other items this week.

So I track it and says it is due yesterday by end of day.

Had a Dr. appt. with my son at the pediatrician and left at 12:30 and would be home by 2.

Come home to find the package, ammo included, on the front porch. Now I am not worried about the fact it was there, we generally have had no issues in my area with the stuff walking. What got me was that I was given the email that said requires an adult signature.

Nobody was home! When I called Sportmans today to inquire I was told "sometimes it happens"... So how worried are folks really about us getting ammos shipped to the home? Not much I guess.....

Just wanted you all to know that so if you are expecting from them it may get dropped if you are home or not.

Its just depend on the shippers policy. I ordered some stuff online and I always put on special instruction. If they can leave it on the porch if nobody answer the door. I got a call back from one place and informed me that depending on the value they wanted sinature proof.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    On another forum, a FFL once posted how UPS left firearms at their door.

The shipper can complain to their contact at UPS, but there is little else to do.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Also sometimes the delivery person doesn't check/care if that is required. I had something delivered that required it. Granted she handed it right to me since i was home, but never asked me for signature untill about 15 min later when she drove back in. she took the time to come back to get the signature but i doubt most would do that

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my guess is the freight company (ups, fedex) take the liability if they drop off a box without getting a signature. but it's a risk they apparently are willing to take vs the cost of coming back to your house a few times to actually get a live body home to sign.

i have no problems with it because sometimes i would never get a pkg that req'd a signature depending on my schedule.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Also sometimes the delivery person doesn't check/care if that is required. I had something delivered that required it. Granted she handed it right to me since i was home, but never asked me for signature untill about 15 min later when she drove back in. she took the time to come back to get the signature but i doubt most would do that

this is more likely the issue..
    good thing my ups/usps/fedex do good jobs at my area.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    The UPS guy did you a favor. Probably because he knew there are no issues in your area. I have printed the ups tracking page, signed it and left it at my door. Sometimes that works. Wouldn't do it for a gun.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    That's a shipper issue. Unfortunately, a business can't control a whole heck of a lot what an individual driver does in an area. Customers can complain to the shipping contractor, but that's about all that can be done.

Feb 25, 2011
    Charlestown, MD
    Remember when you practically had to sacrifice a goat and two chickens just to get UPS to leave your package at your neighbors house, with them signing for it? Nowadays, they barely stop the truck to throw it in your yard. I understand that volumes have increased by orders of magnitude. I just find it funny how the policy has morphed over the years....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Blame the packages left on the door step on the delivery guy. You get on the phone and call in about the guy leaving the package there that required a signature and you didn't give him one. That falls on the delivery guys' head.

As far as UPS leaving guns laying on the front door... it's a brown box / package to them, they don't know what it is and it's not their business to know or even care. That's the fault of the guy who ordered it. He should have either been there, or shipped it to a place where someone would be there to take it hand from hand.

Jstevens56

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Merryland
    Personally I hate having to sign for things. I get a few packages weekly and have never had a problem with them disappearing. It gets to be a pain to have to drive 30 mins to pick it up from the main hub due to me being at work during their 3 delivery attempts.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, it'd be nice if they didn't need to slap that ORM-D label on there that tells everyone passing by "FREE AMMO IN THIS BOX". I usually pay for insurance as a result.

As for UPS leaving guns at the door, they absolutely do care if you bothered to declare them as such. The UPS guy at the shipping center told me that all firearms are treated as high-value insured objects, and go in the cage with the insured stuff.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Yeah, it'd be nice if they didn't need to slap that ORM-D label on there that tells everyone passing by "FREE AMMO IN THIS BOX". I usually pay for insurance as a result.

As for UPS leaving guns at the door, they absolutely do care if you bothered to declare them as such. The UPS guy at the shipping center told me that all firearms are treated as high-value insured objects, and go in the cage with the insured stuff.

They're changing the ORM-D label here soon, but if you know what the symbol means, it'll still be easy to pick it out from other packages. Also, Aerosols and other flammable goods have to go ORM-D as well.

The only declaration of firearms as a shipper like us is the fact it has delivery confirmation. There is no other indication that it could be a firearm, nor is it required by shippers to do so. If you drop off a firearm at the UPS hub and declare it's a firearm as an individual I'm sure they threat it like that, but a standard firearm shipping from a dealer doesn't get any preferential treatment. And, they have no way of knowing.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    my problem with UPS is that you can not make a delivery exception / arrangements until after the first failure.

I know a package is coming, I know I wont be home... but it has to fail once for me to make a change to hold it at the depot.. makes no sense..

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The only declaration of firearms as a shipper like us is the fact it has delivery confirmation. There is no other indication that it could be a firearm, nor is it required by shippers to do so.

That is the requirement. Nothing on the package can indicate a firearm inside. Makes perfect sense.

walstib

Jul 4, 2010
    havre de grace
    sipments

:mad54:i've had that problem for years with ups and fedex from spg , ctd . and natchez on ammo i've complained but no real help havn't had anything stolen yet i just try to be there
    good luck:cool:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I get upset if they don't leave a package. Often, I am home, but working out back. I do not hear the door and now I am stuck waiting an extra day.

Jan 9, 2012
    Hoco
    UPS has done studies and found that reimbursing customers for the occassional stolen package costs them less money than repeated failed deliveries. They also design routes to primarily only use right turns to avoid wasted time trying to turn across traffic. The effort they put in to cut logistic expenses is impressive, and also probably expensive :D.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Personally I hate having to sign for things. I get a few packages weekly and have never had a problem with them disappearing. It gets to be a pain to have to drive 30 mins to pick it up from the main hub due to me being at work during their 3 delivery attempts.

I'm with you. To be fair, I like not having to sign for stuff, until the day comes that stuff I ordered goes missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom