Del. Smiegal open carries...see what happens.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    In case anyone doubts what would REALLY happen if you OC a rifle or shotgun, today is instructive:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...cle_aeab99ba-6058-5f89-a16f-71ecfafaf3a3.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...na/bs-md-ar-shooting-20140318,0,4313832.story

* Residents call police
    * Police / swat / tactical team deployed
    * Area shut down

A pretty poor example here.

There was clearly more to the situation then a guy walking a long gun out to his vehicle or even "open carrying" one.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The residents called police seeing someone walking down the street with a "rifle or shotgun" and the police were dispatched. They assume hostile intent.

Way to make a great point. How do you not what they assumed? Also how do you know what exactly was on the 911 call? There very well could have been more to the call then a male outside with a rifle.

Instead of finding an incident where someone was approached after a 911 who did nothing illegal you decide to try and win an argument on the back of a murder/suicide incident.

What would you prefer in your world? 911 gets a call of a man with a gun and the police not show up? I guess if you were in Columbia mall a few weeks ago and saw the mall shooter walking about with his shotgun you wouldn't have called 911 until he started shooting? I'm guessing your family wouldn't either?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The law in Maryland is set up so that there will only ever be bad examples: Only people who don't care about the consequences will openly carry someplace like Pasadena. Residents called at 215 to report the guy. Turns out, they were right. You wont find an example where residents report a guy walking around with a rifle and nothing happens. Because nobody wants jail.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    I applaud the delegate for manning up and doing it but he handled it as a stunt not in a way that will actually change our reality. He did not ask whether he was being detained. He did not ask which law he was in violation of. He complied when he didn't have to and accepted the I'm scared argument without standing up for his convictions.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I applaud the delegate for manning up and doing it but he handled it as a stunt not in a way that will actually change our reality. He did not ask whether he was being detained. He did not ask which law he was in violation of. He complied when he didn't have to and accepted the I'm scared argument without standing up for his convictions.

Feel free to "man up" and do it yourself then. Oh wait it's only fun to be an internet commando and question how someone else decides to get their message across.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Now my question with this, given that Del. Mike knows the Sheriff, was this a planned stop or was this a fully legit video. I want to believe so much that this is not a staged event.

looks very much staged to me. the camera man was conveniently right there and neither the deputy or Sheriff ever said to him "why are you filming me?"

cops always say that when being filmed.

Feb 28, 2013
    Someone asked if it's an expensive rifle he was carrying, and he explained it was a .22 made to look like a "bad gun." She then asked what if he were carrying down the streets of Baltimore, and if someone might try to take it. Smigiel replied "molon labe."

All the more reason concealed carry should be allowed

I think once a few bad guys get wasted in the line of crime, the word will get out among the vermin community, and the open carry vs concealed carry argument would become a non-issue.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Feel free to "man up" and do it yourself then. Oh wait it's only fun to be an internet commando and question how someone else decides to get their message across.

Actually, if you would look at some of Seth's first posts, LGOC was one of the first things he asked about and wanted to do from Engage Firearms back to his home after picking up a new rifle.

So don't be so quick to jump on someone that has thought about this and is still thinking about it in the "evil triangle", because he brought up some questions.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Actually, if you would look at some of Seth's first posts, LGOC was one of the first things he asked about and wanted to do from Engage Firearms back to his home after picking up a new rifle.

So don't be so quick to jump on someone that has thought about this and is still thinking about it in the "evil triangle", because he brought up some questions.

My point was if he's so willing to call out someone else for how they presented it MAYBE he should man up and do it the way he thinks it should have played out.

Makes sense right? Otherwise it's just someone pounding their chest on the internet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And Del Mike also followed up with statistics from Cato Institute on frequency of open carriers thwarting bad guys vs bad guys disarming open carriers.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Okay putting on my Chief of Staff hat on here....

Yep, it was staged and yep, HE DID IT ON PURPOSE- to make a point. It was submitted as part of his testimony to the House Judiciary. There are rather clear disclaimers that NO ONE should do this because arrest or death could occur. I'm not sure after actually viewing the entire video why anyone would think it wasn't staged.

His point is that regardless of what Dougie Gansler may say, the police are still going to be extremely concerned about someone walking down a city street with a long gun. Clearly, they would be less concerned if someone were concealed carrying (since ostensibly they would not be aware of it).

It's unfortunate if you don't like it or wish it would have been done differently but it there was a specific purpose and frankly, I think it had an impact on his liberal colleagues.

I thought it was pretty smart...but then, thats the whole reason I work for him...because he is smart as hell and he will think "out of the box" to try to get the Liberals to understand.

Taking off my hat and standing down now. Thank you for your patience. :D

Last edited:

ninjaroll

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 27, 2013
    Can someone please tell me the differences between detention, arrest, charged, and convicted. If you long gun open carry can you be detained? Yes! You will be detained while the officers try to sort out the situation. You will be drawn down on at gun point, the officer will have you place the rifle on the ground. He may make you lie on the ground and handcuff you. This is called detainment. The officer will ask ID you and check for wants and warrants. During this time you ask the officer what law has been broken. Since there is no firearm law that says you can't LGOC, any arrest and charge that incorporates a firearm charge will be dismissed. You can't be found guilty of obeying the law.

Now as for Disorderly conduct, this possible charge will be dismissed as it would be a compound charge to the firearm charge. No firearm charge, no disorderly charge. Disturbing the peace charge. This too is a compound charge. " You disturbed the peace because the public called the police about a man with a gun. " Yes, I have a gun which is my constitutional right to have and carry this gun. The state of Maryland does not prohibit the open carry of long guns. You can't be convicted of disturbing the peace for doing something that is legal and constitutionally protected. Any charge will be compounded to a false arrest.

It doesn't matter whether Gansler says you can or can not LGOC. There is no Comar law that prohibits it. If there is no legislated prohibition, then that is to say it is permitted.
    I understand here in Maryland we want it all, but we will take it in baby steps. Well the first baby step to shall issue is LGOC. This will let the politicians know we are not going away. The politicians love the fact that our own fears are creating a prohibition by proxy. We are self legislating the prohibition of LGOC by ignorance, fear and paranoia. No sense in creating a law when we are already restricting ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom