• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    Is having addiction/drunk (no criminal history) in your past a way to get banned from carry permit in Maryland? Just looking at the questions on the form. Do the regs define ‘addict’ and ‘drunkard’ or is it a general term which many will fall into. Not trying to pry into anyones past; looking for online legal opinions/perspectives.
    I am in mental health; gun rights and mental health are always of interest.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Is having addiction/drunk (no criminal history) in your past a way to get banned from carry permit in Maryland? Just looking at the questions on the form. Do the regs define ‘addict’ and ‘drunkard’ or is it a general term which many will fall into. Not trying to pry into anyones past; looking for online legal opinions/perspectives.
    I am in mental health; gun rights and mental health are always of interest.
    MSP uses the following definitions of habitual drunkard and habitual user:

Habitual drunkard: A person who has been found guilty of any three crimes under § 21-902(a), (b), or (c) of the Transportation Article, one of which occurred in the past year.

Habitual user: A person who has been found guilty of two controlled dangerous substance crimes, one of which occurred in the past 5 years.

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    So are the questions on the forms a fishing trip?
    They ask “have you every been treated for addiction”

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When you look at all the questions and requirements in the context that the state is looking for any reason to deny the right, it starts to all make sense.

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    When you look at all the questions and requirements in the context that the state is looking for any reason to deny the right, it starts to all make sense.
    Also my concern; any perceived impact of being tagged with addict/drunk gets amplified and makes it much harder for people to seek treatment.
    No patient has brought this up yet but I am sure one will; they’re not the quiet type . When ‘guns in the home’ became a medical question; plenty of doctors heard from gun owners.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Also my concern; any perceived impact of being tagged with addict/drunk gets amplified and makes it much harder for people to seek treatment.
    No patient has brought this up yet but I am sure one will; they’re not the quiet type . When ‘guns in the home’ became a medical question; plenty of doctors heard from gun owners.
    For me, that would be a wake-up call, but everyone's different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom